Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2012, 07:27 AM   #1441
Gadget Girl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Move over Moronic and quit hogging that bowl of popcorn!

I've quoted stats and explained the features that make the Motus different and, in my opinion, a better choice for some riders. I explained what would make my sister and me good examples of the target market for one. Someone correctly pointed out that the majority here do not fit the 'target market' of this bike. I totally agree. Different bikes are suitable for different people. I would not suggest a Ninja 250 to a 6' 300lb man. If you want to look at it as 'justification' that's fine. Though I have no one I need to 'justify' anything to so I fail to see the validity there.

So, again, Moronic, be nice and share that popcorn! I've shared what I've seen first hand about the bikes. If anyone wants to ask specific questions about it I'll be happy to answer.

Hey! No fair moving it to the other side!! Humph... I'm going to get my own bag of popcorn....

Oh yea, Mr. Magoo, Motus is in your neck of the woods (Hendersonville, NC) this weekend. I've been down with bronchitis this week and won't be up for the run up there by then. Let us know your thoughts if you get the chance to sneek a peek.

There are those who own motorcycles and they can sell a bike and never think about it again. Then there are riders! You get it or you don't.
Gadget Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:36 AM   #1442
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Oddometer: 30,563
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meter Man View Post
Like many, the $30,000-37,000 sticker price makes it a no go for me.

You could buy a BMWS1000rr and a BMWR1200RT for the price lower end MOTUS, or a BMWS1000rr and a BMWK1600GT for the price of the higher end MOTUS.

Would like to try one, but I've never spent more than $5,500 on a motorcycle before.
Yeah, I don't think the designers had folks like us in mind when that sat down at the drawing board.
Dranrab Luap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:43 AM   #1443
Mr. Magoo
n/a

Oddometer: 4,946
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Girl View Post

Oh yea, Mr. Magoo, Motus is in your neck of the woods (Hendersonville, NC) this weekend. I've been down with bronchitis this week and won't be up for the run up there by then. Let us know your thoughts if you get the chance to sneek a peek.
I've seen and sat on the bike a few times and enjoyed several conversations with the principals of Motus. Like I said, I've studied the bike for a while.
Mr. Magoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:55 AM   #1444
kirb
should be out riding

Oddometer: 1,661
Quote:
Someone correctly pointed out that the majority here do not fit the 'target market' of this bike..
I considered myself exactly in the target market...until they posted a price and made owners into an elite group. Regardless of what they 'said' the bike was going to be, it isn't for the masses or even the top 10% of riders.

I wish I could be in the 'I don't care about price' mode of my life. There isn't a lot of value added with this package regardless.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:38 AM   #1445
Worroll
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 760
I can't seem to find the spec for the size of the side cases? All I see is the spec for the little optional top case at 30L.
Worroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:40 AM   #1446
kirb
should be out riding

Oddometer: 1,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worroll View Post
I can't seem to find the spec for the size of the side cases? All I see is the spec for the little optional top case at 30L.
Check out Givi's standard offerings. It's one of them.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:49 AM   #1447
Moronic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,540
Quote:

So, again, Moronic, be nice and share that popcorn!
Well, I was thinking of leaping to your defence, but decided you didn't need help. So I'm looking on, entertained.

You offered the perfect rejoinder to the doomsayers and penny pinchers. Nice reading. It's been fun watching them try to say why you're wrong, silly or simply infatuated.

I've ranted on at length in this thread in support of this effort. People probably think I'm guerrilla PR.

The bottom line is, you find the bike appealing in prospect, and you can and would pay if the product is as good as you hope. Cheaper alternatives don't have all it has. So you're a likely customer. Bingo. Two hundred more who come up with the cash and they're a first-year success.

Doomed by a $35K price point for a motorcycle? The US has several bicycle companies charging $5000 a ride, without pedals. Most of which, IIRC, insist would-be buyers form an orderly queue.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:35 AM   #1448
Gadget Girl
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moronic View Post
Well, I was thinking of leaping to your defence, but decided you didn't need help. So I'm looking on, entertained.
You sound like a reasonable kind of guy. Thanks for sharing the popcorn. Just give me a shout if you ever make it over this way from kangaroo land. The first round is on me!

There are those who own motorcycles and they can sell a bike and never think about it again. Then there are riders! You get it or you don't.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:31 AM   #1449
scrannel
Scrannel

Oddometer: 1,457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moronic View Post
The bottom line is, you find the bike appealing in prospect, and you can and would pay if the product is as good as you hope. Cheaper alternatives don't have all it has.
If that were true -- and it's not -- than she wouldn't want the bike. If we are citing equip as reasons to buy...? And by cheaper we mean "less expensive." Then, you're kidding. Which is the point I'm making. Rationalizing an emotional choice really doesn't work. When I first saw the bike, I was real interested. Maybe it just looks a bit too "beta" at this point. But I'm in So. Cal so someone will handle them and I'll take one for a ride. I'm not arguing about specs, just pointing out that neither are you.

So... since the Ducati 796 has same seat height (listed), shorter wheelbase and weights a hell of a lot less, you must get that instead. Numbers are everything.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:50 AM   #1450
Superzoom
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 534
Yes, it's expensive, which makes it a genuine terrible value using almost every rational judgement criteria.

The other deal breaker for me is the appearance. For big bucks, I would expect something that looks exotic and beautiful, if not downright sexy. It does look somewhat exotic, simply because it's different than what's out there, but it also has a certain utilitarian homeliness about it as well. The fairing in particular is both dull and odd at the same time. I don't think a lot of people will want to pay $30 000+ for something that's not pretty.
Superzoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 10:54 AM   #1451
Superzoom
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 534
And for $30 000, you'd think they would come up with some style-integrated luggage. Givi is great, but for $30 000, you'd want more than colour-matching.
Superzoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 11:16 AM   #1452
Meter Man
Living on a prayer

Oddometer: 7,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superzoom View Post
And for $30 000, you'd think they would come up with some style-integrated luggage. Givi is great, but for $30 000, you'd want more than colour-matching.
for 30,000 you can buy two of THE BENCHMARK motorcycles for sport riding and touring.
Meter Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 12:13 PM   #1453
Gadget Girl
Gnarly Adventurer

Pissed

Ok, Scrannel, I was going to hush, but now you're getting downright insulting.

A Ducati 796? SEROUSLY? I gave way more criteria for a sport AND touring bike than wheel base and seat height. Those were just the last two items I addressed. Sheesh

I'm not some Johnny come lately to riding and in the past six years of riding have done well over 100,000 miles. To some high mileage riders that may not sound like a lot, but I think that gives me enough miles to know the difference between a sport bike and a sport touring.

Old 05-09-2012, 12:25 PM   #1454
Dave.0
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 727
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superzoom View Post
utilitarian homeliness .
this is a very good description

beauty, as they say, is a personal thing

I plan to ride one when I can, but I would truly have to be blown away to seriously consider buying one, and I just don't see that happening
Dave.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 01:47 PM   #1455
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,559
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meter Man View Post
for 30,000 you can buy two of THE BENCHMARK motorcycles for sport riding and touring.

yeah....we get it. You think it's too expensive. jeebuz...
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote