User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2009, 02:03 PM   #16
Stobie
Mr. Motivated

Oddometer: 1,856
Oh yeah: congrats, Ned.

Be sure and check in at www.superduke.net . Great bunch of guys there, and tons of good info.

Problems cannot be solved at the same level of awareness that created them.

-Albert Einstein
Stobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 02:43 PM   #17
XR6MOTO
Motorcycle addict

Oddometer: 184
I LOVE my SD. I've owned lots of sport & dirt bikes over the years & this is by far one of the (if not the) funnest bikes I've ever ridden. No, it doesn't have the power of the current liter sport bikes but believe or not, it doesn't have to (for the street at least). I sport a huge grin on my face every time I ride it. Would I like more power? Sure why not but it doesn't make it any less desirable to me as it is.

I find it way more comfortable than any of the sport bikes I've ever owned ('94 VFR included). The suspension has a pretty good range of adjustment that should suit most riding styles & weights.

The bike is light, super flickable w/GREAT brakes. I find it's looks sexy. The only drawback with it is that it turns me into a miscreant every time I ride it
XR6MOTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 05:10 PM   #18
Yellow Pig
Allergic to Asphalt!

Oddometer: 7,005
So how does this

compare to something like this:

Old 09-28-2009, 05:35 PM   #19
Playa Shark
High Desert Prowler

Oddometer: 546
Met you up in Riggins. Friend of Cullen in Reno. Bought my new, old stock '07 in July for a very good price. Love it. This is what I did this weekend at RFR. Although my riding may have sucked, the bike did not. Had it tunned with a PCIII. 105 rwh and 65 fpt. at 4400 feet.

Old 09-29-2009, 10:01 AM   #20
Stobie
Mr. Motivated

Oddometer: 1,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Pig
So how does this

compare to something like this:

Problems cannot be solved at the same level of awareness that created them.

-Albert Einstein
Stobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 10:15 AM   #21
neduro OP
Addict

Oddometer: 11,786
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stobie
Not much time, but here's a quick response:

I haven't gotten to ride my SE since buying the SD (someone crashed the SE for me on the street, so 20x is in very small pieces right now )... but here's my first thoughts:

1) Off-road suspension does not communicate with nearly the same precision as road stuff. The traction is there on 19/17 or 17/17, but the feel is much less precise especially at higher speeds.

2) Riding position is much more aggressive feeling on the SD- rearset pegs, lower bars, and a tank that define where your butt is. Knee down feels very natural on an SD and kind of contrived on an SE.

3) The SE motor is plenty strong but somewhat flat above 6k. The SD motor just keeps building and rips to redline with considerably more fervor. The brakes on the SD are not even in the same league.

4) The actual speed you go through a corner on the street is probably not much different. The feel of how you do it is way more sporty on the SD than it is on the SE- the SE kind of swims through, the SD carves through.

5) After loads of time on ADVs and SEs, it's amazing how many similarities there are in feel on the SD. You feel right at home, even with all the above differences.

YP: drop me an email if you want to ride it ever, you're welcome to... (queue crack dealer line: first hit is free)

Yesterday I installed a Leo Vince system, and I'm working on getting an Akra map in it this week. I meant to do a trackday yesterday but had too much work piled up, so that got bumped to Monday the 5th, weather permitting.

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 10:17 AM   #22
neduro OP
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playa Shark
Bought my new, old stock '07 in July for a very good price. Love it.
You're part of the problem! We stood there under the tent and I was deliberating and I recall you saying how much you liked yours...

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
Old 09-29-2009, 10:29 AM   #23
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,136
I love those bikes; early ones are becoming affordable. I daren't test ride one
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 04:57 PM   #24
Playa Shark
High Desert Prowler

Oddometer: 546
Ned,

Check out the motohooligan airbox on superduke.net http://www.superduke.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7113 and http://www.superduke.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8333 as well as the PCIII. In my humble opinion they are worth the $$$ and a perfect combination with the aftermarket pipe. Definitely added significant torque to my bike.

Also, and I don't need to tell you this, do the trackdays. What a blast on the SD. Keeps me out of trouble for the most part and will hopefully avoid my children becoming orphans if I don't stop riding like a hooligan on the street.

P.S. Have you taken the tank off yet? More importantly have you tried to reinsert the main bolt? My advice is to read the thread on that on superduke.net before you do. I thought they were overstating the issue until I tried to put the tank back on. Here is a start, although not the main thread on the issue. http://www.superduke.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9523 Not really that difficult if you have two burly dudes to align the tank so as to not cross thread the nut/bolt, but very tough/impossible if you try it yourself.
Old 09-30-2009, 04:18 PM   #25
neduro OP
Addict

First upgrade: A set of Leo Vince Slipons:

Really nicely made and sound great. A touch on the noisy side, I may see about baffle options.

While I was at it, I pulled the undertail just to make things a little simpler back there:

Second upgrade: a Kaoko Throttle Lock. Easiest part to install I've ever seen (literally one bolt with no adjustment required), functions beautifully, and very solid feeling. I find these help me shift positions a lot on longer rides.

Next up: Mirrors. The stock ones suck functionally and I don't like how they look either. I'm thinking a set of the trick ones I've seen on Ducatis... anyone have advice on what I should get?

Old 09-30-2009, 06:35 PM   #26
JNRobert
Breaking Wind

Oddometer: 9,591
Quote:
Originally Posted by neduro
I start making excuses to myself.

It's naked, so I won't mistakenly find myself at triple digit speeds.

It won't beat up my wrist, look, it's got handlebars just like a real bike!

Hardly any paint. Just park it near the wall and don't swing a 2x4 into it and it'll be fine.

Did you feel that suspension! That is so many light years ahead of any streetbike you've owned, it doesn't bear mentioning. It sucked up the crappy pavement like a dualsport, but was controlled even when you flogged it. Amazing!

Look at that thing, for christ's sake! It's fuggin' evil! You have to have it!

And those brakes, my god, those brakes. Perfect. I have no words to describe them.

A few gentle trackdays, get back in the swing of things and wear out a kneepuck or two. It'll be just the ticket!

Besides, it'll get great gas mileage *...

* When my mental dialogue starts thinking about gas mileage as it relates to motorcycles, I know I'm stretching the limits of reason.
So I'm not the only one. I've ridden an SD about three times now and every time I swear, swear I will own one. I truly love the bike but my problem is the follow-on conversation I have that talks me out of it. I really should STFU and get one.

Congratulations
JNRobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 07:02 PM   #27
TreeAPE
n00b

Oddometer: 1
I own a 07 duke also. Bought it new in 07 and have no intentions of selling it. Love it, best street bike i've owned. Not as fast as my zx10 (sold), but plenty fast enough, and feels fast. Isn't it all about how it feels? Good choice
TreeAPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 07:02 PM   #28
High_Side
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by neduro
First upgrade: A set of Leo Vince Slipons:

Really nicely made and sound great. A touch on the noisy side, I may see about baffle options.

While I was at it, I pulled the undertail just to make things a little simpler back there:

Second upgrade: a Kaoko Throttle Lock. Easiest part to install I've ever seen (literally one bolt with no adjustment required), functions beautifully, and very solid feeling. I find these help me shift positions a lot on longer rides.

Next up: Mirrors. The stock ones suck functionally and I don't like how they look either. I'm thinking a set of the trick ones I've seen on Ducatis... anyone have advice on what I should get?
Any pics from straight on the side? I've been looking for a set for my Duke and haven't been able to find any that actually looked as good as the stock set-up. This, looks promising.
High_Side is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 07:05 PM   #29
omnivore
SuperSportTourer

Oddometer: 1,013
Ilove the SD...but also ride on extended trips and can only afford to have one streetbike. Has anyone adapted or found a decentwindscreen that gives some semblance of wind/weather protection? Even if it were a windscreen that can be put on for longer rides then removed again for short ones or daily use.
1996 YZF 600-Lost Era racebike
1999 R6-Rookie Challenge racebike
omnivore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 08:37 PM   #30
fast4d
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by omnivore
Ilove the SD...but also ride on extended trips and can only afford to have one streetbike. Has anyone adapted or found a decentwindscreen that gives some semblance of wind/weather protection? Even if it were a windscreen that can be put on for longer rides then removed again for short ones or daily use.
I did 430 miles today on the superduke. if you get the ktm tank bag it blocks ALOT of wind off your torso. only you head will be exposed.
2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
2013 KTM SMT 990
fast4d is offline   Reply With Quote