Weee!
RedRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 09:02 PM   #32
Playa Shark
High Desert Prowler

Oddometer: 546
Quote:
Originally Posted by omnivore
Has anyone adapted or found a decentwindscreen that gives some semblance of wind/weather protection?
I have not seen a decent touring windscreen in my search. I adapted the KTM "touring" screen by bolting on the stock one for wind blast protection while crouched over, but it is only suffcient for that. Although it does reduce the direct wind significantly and only adds slight buffeting. Okay rating. I have done multiple 400+ mile days and don't mind much at normal highway speeds. On the track at 125mph+ you notice it. If you find something else I would love to hear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neduro
Next up: Mirrors. The stock ones suck functionally and I don't like how they look either. I'm thinking a set of the trick ones I've seen on Ducatis... anyone have advice on what
Have you checked out the Rizoma mirrors?http://www.pjsparts.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=265 Here is the one I like if it weren't so damn expensive.

Real nice tail set up. You can get away with that? Where are the turn signals?
Old 10-01-2009, 05:41 AM   #33
Stobie
Mr. Motivated

Oddometer: 1,836
Quote:
Originally Posted by neduro
Not much time, but here's a quick response:

(snip)
Thanks, Ned. Your point #5 is what keeps me gravitating toward the SD. I love the feel and sound of the LC8 platform.

Is it as strong through the low- and mid-range as the SE?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalMo
So I'm not the only one. I've ridden an SD about three times now and every time I swear, swear I will own one. I truly love the bike but my problem is the follow-on conversation I have that talks me out of it. I really should STFU and get one.

Congratulations
Seat time is what I need. I'm able to talk myself out of it repeatedly because I haven't been able to spend much time on one. The one I have ridden had only several hundred miles on it, and was basically still set up as it came out of the crate (as in, not). You wouldn't believe how poorly it handled. The bike's owner was immediately more comfortable in the twisties on my SE w/Scorps, if that tells you anything. It just needed some suspension adjustment.

Problems cannot be solved at the same level of awareness that created them.

-Albert Einstein
Stobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 05:53 AM   #34
neduro OP
Addict

Oddometer: 11,704
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Side
Any pics from straight on the side? I've been looking for a set for my Duke and haven't been able to find any that actually looked as good as the stock set-up. This, looks promising.

I know what you mean, most aren't as finished or integrated looking.

If you do want Leo's, drop me an email, I may have a line on a set for a good price.

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 07:45 AM   #35
MotoSteve
Functioning Motard

Oddometer: 363
Here's a comparison of the superduke and 950sm(similar to the SE): http://www.motorcyclists-online.com/...50-motard.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Pig
So how does this

compare to something like this:

Old 10-01-2009, 11:23 AM   #36
neduro OP
Addict

Rizoma stuff looks nice! I'll dig around some more, I've always been impressed with the functionality of the bar end mirrors so I'm thinking along those lines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playa Shark
Real nice tail set up. You can get away with that? Where are the turn signals?
Turn signals not required in CO, and not sure if I can but have so far. I just couldn't stomach that giant dangly turd hanging off the back.

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
Old 10-01-2009, 07:58 PM   #37
omnivore
SuperSportTourer

Oddometer: 1,013
I think an 04 GSXR 1000 double bubble screen or an MRA touring screen could be adapted to the SD with some trimming and inventive mounting. It would look okay and offer way more wind protection.

Ijust read an article today that has me pondering the SD as next mount instead of a Tiger.
1996 YZF 600-Lost Era racebike
1999 R6-Rookie Challenge racebike
omnivore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 05:31 PM   #38
Nowwhat
I'll Go Second...

Oddometer: 4,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Pig
So how does this

compare to something like this:

Good...question....the real anwer is it doesn't really matter as they are both beasts....big....bad....beasts...

but.....

The SE provides that killer motard riding postion that just feels so right... not to mention it lends to that weird look on the face of squids as you pass them on the outside....I loved mine

the downside is the brakes (even upgraded) and the suspension just don't measure up...

Then there is the power of the SD...in my case 130+hp at the wheel for the tuned SDR...

In the end the SD is a streetbike.....so it gets the nod.....
'Berg 570..Trail Beast
Nowwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 07:52 PM   #39
KTMRyder
throttle jockey

Oddometer: 3,811
Neduro, congrats on the purchase, picked up a new 07 in May from my dealer.
I like you made the mistake of taking a test ride after test riding a fairly new Speed Triple he had taken on trade.

I was all set to buy the Triple but he made me ride the SD also since it was his favorite ride. that's all it took, never made a decision that quickly in all my life.

Those Leo's look good on the bike.

I went with the FMF since I really dug how they looked, unfortunately they are pretty damn loud even with the restrictors in the front.
the mufflers are so short on this bike they seem to all be pretty noisy.
the stock exhaust puts out a lot of heat in the summertime.

I hadn't been to a trackday since I quit racing, it was a great time and is even better on the track. what seems a bit stiff on the street is perfect for the track.
best brakes of any bike I have ridden, outbraked a lot of people with ease.
tried some Bridgestone BT-016's at the track, the worked great.

As mentioned the front tank bolt is a real pain in the ass.

Here's a picture of mine with the FMF's mounted.
I want to get a fender eliminator and clean up the rear look this winter.

Old 10-03-2009, 08:09 PM   #40
omnivore
SuperSportTourer

Oddometer: 1,013
Those FMF's look right at home on such an angular piece of machinery!
1996 YZF 600-Lost Era racebike
1999 R6-Rookie Challenge racebike
omnivore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 08:31 PM   #41
KTMRyder
throttle jockey

Oddometer: 3,811
Quote:
Originally Posted by omnivore
Those FMF's look right at home on such an angular piece of machinery!
That's why I picked them, they match the lines of the bike perfectly.
it was a toss up between them and the Leo's the Akras from KTM are pretty pricey.
Old 10-04-2009, 11:36 AM   #42
Rsquared
Echo

Oddometer: 93
Congrat's on the new bike!

I've had mine for a year now and it still brings a grin each time I ride. I previouly owned two Japanese litre bikes as well, but the Super Duke is the best overall package to me.

I really like the Leo's you have, but do you need ear plugs to ride with them? I'm still trying to decide between the Leo's and the Akra's.

(My addiction)
Old 10-04-2009, 11:39 AM   #43
neduro OP
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsquared
I really like the Leo's you have, but do you need ear plugs to ride with them? I'm still trying to decide between the Leo's and the Akra's.
what?

Just kidding...

Definitely not.

I do wear earplugs on long rides (and would have with the stock pipes) but they are not deafeningly loud. Just a bit louder than I wish they were for early morning through the neighborhood, if that makes sense.

Old 10-04-2009, 06:54 PM   #44
skrub
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 258
Heres a pic of the screen I put on my SD. Works very well takes all of the wind blast off your chest and leave just a little at the top of the shoulders. The other pic is the tour setup for long trips.
skrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 07:43 AM   #45
neduro OP
Addict

I took the bike to High Plains Raceway yesterday and had an absolute blast.

The short version: The SuperDuke is a blast. She's good in the sack.

The long version:

High Plains is a brand new track developed by a coalition of car clubs, the SCCA, and the local Motorcycle Roadrace organization (the MRA), and it's fantastic. For years, most of our local tracks have been contrived with a dragstrip for a straight and so on... for me, there was always a throwaway corner or two where I lost my rhythm. High Plains has none of this.

Sorry for the large size- here's a map. Note all the contour lines for elevation changes!

A lap on the SD looks kind of like this: the start finish straight is over the crest of a hill, so you backshift once as you pass the 3rd braking marker and throw it into Turn 1. It's a fun corner. I exit a little bit tight (not running out over about the halfway point of the track) to give myself a nice line into the carousel turn 2, which takes another backshift.

Upshift after exit, staying kind of tight to the inside, so that you punch out the exit of 3 into a continuous lean onto the front straight, grabbing gears the whole way. The SD seems to like shifting a little shy of redline- it would indicate 135ish at the end of the straight on my best runs, which were not exploring hero-deep into the braking zone, since this is just a trackday.

Sit up @ # 3 braking marker, backshift twice, brake HARD, lean into Turn 4 not too early so that you can clip the apex and be set up for 5, which is a downhill left I really enjoyed. Accelerated down the short chute to 6, brake HARD again, backshift once, and go in deep to avoid the rough pavement on the exit. Accelerate hard out of 6, grabbing a gear, lean into 7 which is blind and really fun, then backshift into 2nd and carve through 8. Grab a gear, keep your knees in and gently weave through 9a and b, brake HARD and backshift for 10, backshift once more for 11 and knee down for seemingly FOREVER, over 12 accelerating hard, backshift twice for 13/14, then I was shifting once as I leaned into 15 and trying to get a good drive onto the front straight again.

No idea what my laptimes were. All of you CO (or anywhere close) people, definitely make a trip to one of their open lapping days. Very nice folks, the track is fantastic, nothing to break up your rhythm, you can really have a great time getting your lean on.

Riding impressions from the SD:

1) This bike is EASY to ride. The suspension is very confidence inspiring and composed, the brakes are AWESOME, and the motor is so flexible that if you forget a shift it doesn't really matter.

2) Having handlebars is very reassuring to me, I had a few slides and ran into chatter when I'd screw up my line, and it never was heart stopping, just kind of "oh, that's interesting, what can I do to address this?" where on a roadracer I would have been making diamonds in my sphincter.

3) It's got enough motor that you don't have to say you're sorry. I pulled past a well ridden RC-51 on the frontstraight (I got a better drive, but still, a soft motor wouldn't have gotten the job done), and had no trouble staying with the various R6/ R1's/ GSXR/ 999/ 675's etc that were out there between corners. The liter bikes obviously leave it on the straights, but not as fast as I would have thought, and it delivers power so nicely that I could often make some up on corner exit because I could roll in earlier than they could.

4) The chassis is really planted and reassuring. I'm not a great track rider, I still think knee-down is novel, but when I swapped onto a racebike mid-day, I wanted the SD back immediately, street tires and all. The R6 was skitterish and nervous where the SD was stuck and calm.

5) The Leo's may be a touch loud in the neighborhood but they sound F&*KING AWESOME on a racetrack at full chat. The SD does not get good mileage being wrung out, maybe about 20mpg. I went through a full tank and most of a second in 4 hours.

6) I ground through a set of toe sliders- it's hard for me to remember to get my feet tucked far enough out of the way, and the pegs aren't as high as they could be for racetrack use. But, the more you get your shoulder in, the less of an issue that is, and the easier it is to keep your knee down instead of making your boot lighter.

7) I was surprised when I passed a few expert numberplate dedicated roadrace bikes (and got passed much more, of course)... point being, this thing can run the pace, probably more so than a more serious bike with a hack like me aboard.

8) The brakes, which feel great on the road, are amazing on the track. You get great feel, and I used one finger all day and had more power than I needed. Twice, riders ran off into the dirt past me in turns, I think they'd been waiting for me to brake and then couldn't slow at the same speed that I could so blew the corner. Both of them were nitwits, but anyway, the brakes work really well and are really easy to exploit.

9) I'm really impressed with the Michelin Pilot Power road tires. I carried very similar corner speed to people on slicks and race tires, they don't look any different at the end of the day than they did at the beginning, and they have great feel. I'm glad not to be burdened with race tires for commuting where they will never get any heat and therefore any traction, and these are all I need for a trackday.

10) My buddy Mark (MRA Expert 222) rode the bike (and I rode his R6) and had an interesting perspective: first, that it is the easiest bike to navigate around a track he's ever been on, second, that he was probably faster on it than his R6 (I certainly was, I found the R6 really difficult to keep in the power, and on the right line, and not get scared by the jumpy feeling chassis), and third, that it was more FUN to ride than a 'real' trackbike.

That's the main point to me- if I wanted to go race, I'd buy a GSXR. But for a trackday, there is nothing I'd rather take than the SuperDuke- it's great fun, helps you learn to ride better because it's not intimidating so you have attention to devote to deciding where you can brake, etc, and it performs really well- I couldn't have gone faster on any of the sportbikes I've owned, I'm sure.

The pictures I took all suck, and none are of me... but here are a few...

Getting set up...

My friend Mark giving it a go:

I'm givin' 'er all she's got, cap'n!