User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2009, 08:26 AM   #46
Yellow Pig
Allergic to Asphalt!

Oddometer: 7,065
Sweet!

Sorry to hear about the SE, in particular after all she's been through so far.

Later Dan

PS: You suck! Now I've got an SD bug in my head.
Old 10-06-2009, 08:28 AM   #47
Yellow Pig
Allergic to Asphalt!

Oddometer: 7,065
These wheels are sick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-06-2009, 06:10 PM   #48
KTMRyder
throttle jockey

Oddometer: 3,813
Sounds like you had a good time Neduro.

I was amazed when I got to ride mine on the track how confidence inspiring it was, your comments are almost exactly as I experienced.
can't wait to do a few trackdays next year.
Old 10-07-2009, 09:22 AM   #49
nattyMo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 582
Left over NEW 08' SD in MD

If any of you guys know someone looking for a deal on a SD my local dealer here in MD has a still NEW 08 SD in black for $11,300.

http://www.ellicottcitymotorsports.c...24&pov=1130618
nattyMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 12:15 PM   #50
Playa Shark
High Desert Prowler

Oddometer: 546
Quote:
Originally Posted by neduro
Riding impressions from the SD:

1) This bike is EASY to ride. The suspension is very confidence inspiring and composed, the brakes are AWESOME, and the motor is so flexible that if you forget a shift it doesn't really matter.

2) Having handlebars is very reassuring to me, I had a few slides and ran into chatter when I'd screw up my line, and it never was heart stopping, just kind of "oh, that's interesting, what can I do to address this?" where on a roadracer I would have been making diamonds in my sphincter.

3) It's got enough motor that you don't have to say you're sorry. I pulled past a well ridden RC-51 on the frontstraight (I got a better drive, but still, a soft motor wouldn't have gotten the job done), and had no trouble staying with the various R6/ R1's/ GSXR/ 999/ 675's etc that were out there between corners. The liter bikes obviously leave it on the straights, but not as fast as I would have thought, and it delivers power so nicely that I could often make some up on corner exit because I could roll in earlier than they could.

4) The chassis is really planted and reassuring. I'm not a great track rider, I still think knee-down is novel, but when I swapped onto a racebike mid-day, I wanted the SD back immediately, street tires and all. The R6 was skitterish and nervous where the SD was stuck and calm.

5) The Leo's may be a touch loud in the neighborhood but they sound F&*KING AWESOME on a racetrack at full chat. The SD does not get good mileage being wrung out, maybe about 20mpg. I went through a full tank and most of a second in 4 hours.

6) I ground through a set of toe sliders- it's hard for me to remember to get my feet tucked far enough out of the way, and the pegs aren't as high as they could be for racetrack use. But, the more you get your shoulder in, the less of an issue that is, and the easier it is to keep your knee down instead of making your boot lighter.

7) I was surprised when I passed a few expert numberplate dedicated roadrace bikes (and got passed much more, of course)... point being, this thing can run the pace, probably more so than a more serious bike with a hack like me aboard.

8) The brakes, which feel great on the road, are amazing on the track. You get great feel, and I used one finger all day and had more power than I needed. Twice, riders ran off into the dirt past me in turns, I think they'd been waiting for me to brake and then couldn't slow at the same speed that I could so blew the corner. Both of them were nitwits, but anyway, the brakes work really well and are really easy to exploit.

9) I'm really impressed with the Michelin Pilot Power road tires. I carried very similar corner speed to people on slicks and race tires, they don't look any different at the end of the day than they did at the beginning, and they have great feel. I'm glad not to be burdened with race tires for commuting where they will never get any heat and therefore any traction, and these are all I need for a trackday.

10) My buddy Mark (MRA Expert 222) rode the bike (and I rode his R6) and had an interesting perspective: first, that it is the easiest bike to navigate around a track he's ever been on, second, that he was probably faster on it than his R6 (I certainly was, I found the R6 really difficult to keep in the power, and on the right line, and not get scared by the jumpy feeling chassis), and third, that it was more FUN to ride than a 'real' trackbike.

That's the main point to me- if I wanted to go race, I'd buy a GSXR. But for a trackday, there is nothing I'd rather take than the SuperDuke- it's great fun, helps you learn to ride better because it's not intimidating so you have attention to devote to deciding where you can brake, etc, and it performs really well- I couldn't have gone faster on any of the sportbikes I've owned, I'm sure.
Real nice write up. I concur on all accounts, in my limited experience. After riding 4-5 sessions a day I was not really fatigued. No wrist or lower back agony as with the true sport bikes. So easy to ride and control even when the back end breaks loose.

Speaking of which, I had some issues with down shifting and rear wheel chatter. The engine breaking on the v-twin is definitely powerful. With this bike I have to work on rev matching or buy a slipper clutch. Although, as I got more familiar with the track and my shifting points the wheel chatter decreased significantly. It is something to be aware of when you are pushing this bike, however.

I too drag my (size 12) feet and am thinking some adjustable rearsets are in order, both for track days and for additional comfort on the street. Again, Rizoma makes some nice ones.

With respect to the tires I am running the Dunlop 208s, which no one I have talked to recommends. Mine are toast (at approximately 1500 miles) and am looking at the Michelin Power Pilot 2ct. Those and the Pirelli Corsas get real high marks for road/trackday use.

I am running 100 octane fuel at the track and the SD burns through that pretty quickly. I am getting about 75 miles per tank before the light comes on. But, it does seem to make a difference.

I will be back out on Reno-Fernley Raceway this Sunday for the Zoom-Zoom trackday and have a free track day from KTM that I have to use this year. Thinking Thunderhill or Infinion in Nov or Dec. Riding the SD on the track is definitely addicting.
Old 10-08-2009, 12:47 PM   #51
XR6MOTO
Motorcycle addict

Oddometer: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Playa Shark
Ned,

Check out the motohooligan airbox on superduke.net http://www.superduke.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7113 and http://www.superduke.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8333 as well as the PCIII. In my humble opinion they are worth the $$$ and a perfect combination with the aftermarket pipe. Definitely added significant torque to my bike.

Also, and I don't need to tell you this, do the trackdays. What a blast on the SD. Keeps me out of trouble for the most part and will hopefully avoid my children becoming orphans if I don't stop riding like a hooligan on the street.

P.S. Have you taken the tank off yet? More importantly have you tried to reinsert the main bolt? My advice is to read the thread on that on superduke.net before you do. I thought they were overstating the issue until I tried to put the tank back on. Here is a start, although not the main thread on the issue. http://www.superduke.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9523 Not really that difficult if you have two burly dudes to align the tank so as to not cross thread the nut/bolt, but very tough/impossible if you try it yourself.
Interesting. I wonder what kind of gains can be had by that airbox mod & PCIII
XR6MOTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 03:35 PM   #52
KTMRyder
throttle jockey

Playashark, my 208's were toasted so I need a new set for the trackday I did. went to see a buddy who runs a shop that caters to the roadrace/trackday crowd here in KC.

He said either Pilot Power 2CT's or his personal favorite at the moment is the Bridgestone BT-016's they were cheaper than the Michelin's so I gave them a try since both his personal racebikes had a set mounted.

I must say they worked very well with no scary moments all day.
it was hot, about 96 that day and I figured they would go off and get slick but they didn't.
they did feather up and wear like you would expect but that's about it.
nice profile with no weird fall in like some tires give you.

I think they were about $40 cheaper than a set of Pilots.
they are working well as a street tire also.
Old 10-08-2009, 03:42 PM   #53
neduro OP
Addict

Oddometer: 11,806
Quote:
Originally Posted by nattyMo
If any of you guys know someone looking for a deal on a SD my local dealer here in MD has a still NEW 08 SD in black for $11,300.
I know of one that can be had for WAY less out here, anyone interested should email me.

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 05:41 PM   #54
KTMRyder
throttle jockey

My local dealer had one 07 and two 08's.
I bought the 07 but could have had the 08 for about a grand more.
the price was way less that $11,300 for the 08's.

I decided I liked the grand in my pocket and the grey 07 in my garage.
of course that grand quickly got spent on a set of FMF pipes.
Old 10-08-2009, 08:32 PM   #55
Nowwhat
I'll Go Second...

Oddometer: 4,613
08's are going for less than $9k new in So Cal.....
'Berg 570..Trail Beast
Nowwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 09:47 PM   #56
1 Bored Clerk
Mama, I'm goin fast!

Oddometer: 10
Kinda late in the game but I thought I'd chime in about the mirrors. I have a CRG (many a ducati are running these) mirror and it's great. Small, unobtrusive and very well made. There are a few models (folding, non-folding, flat mirror, and convex mirror...and combo's of those). I have the folding convex mirror on the left side of my 690R and it's works fantastically. Spendy, but cool.
Old 10-09-2009, 08:10 AM   #57
Playa Shark
High Desert Prowler

Oddometer: 546
Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6MOTO
Interesting. I wonder what kind of gains can be had by that airbox mod & PCIII
The first dyno is my baseline with the only mod being Akra Evos - header and slipons. Note: this is at about 4,400 feet elevation and is a rear wheel dyno.

After the MotoHooligan airbox, SAS and charcoal. Very Similar conditions and I actually lost hp on the first run, but the torque remained constant. Not surprising given the bike is tuned for the stock air box. The last two runs were after the PCIII was added and the bike was tunned. I was impressed with the torque gain. Definitely feel it in real world riding. Cost for 5 hp and foot pounds of torque: Box: ~$300. PCIII: $320. Tune: $250.

Thanks KTMRyder for the info. Will try the Bridgestone next go around.
Old 10-09-2009, 08:53 AM   #58
fast4d
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,150
who says you can't tour on a superduke?

2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
2013 KTM SMT 990
fast4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 09:17 AM   #59
XR6MOTO
Motorcycle addict

Oddometer: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Playa Shark
The first dyno is my baseline with the only mod being Akra Evos - header and slipons. Note: this is at about 4,400 feet elevation and is a rear wheel dyno.

After the MotoHooligan airbox, SAS and charcoal. Very Similar conditions and I actually lost hp on the first run, but the torque remained constant. Not surprising given the bike is tuned for the stock air box. The last two runs were after the PCIII was added and the bike was tunned. I was impressed with the torque gain. Definitely feel it in real world riding. Cost for 5 hp and foot pounds of torque: Box: ~$300. PCIII: $320. Tune: $250.
My '07 SD dynoed at 106 RWHP on a hot humid day here in the DC area (Leo slip-ons only). $900 for another 4 HP & 5 ft. lb. of usable power isn't that bad I guess. My XR650R SM dynoed at around 50 at the wheel on the same.

Thanks for the feedback.
XR6MOTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 09:44 AM   #60
Gordy
Team Listo

Oddometer: 21,889
Quote:
Originally Posted by fast4d
who says you can't tour on a superduke?

It looks like you are all set.
Maybe some of those Aerostitch panniers that hang over the tank for really long rides.
Gordy is offline   Reply With Quote