Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2009, 12:05 AM   #61
DRKWNG
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowwhat
08's are going for less than $9k new in So Cal.....
Now this is what I am interested in! I was looking at getting a NOS '07 950SM, but the dealer on Maui called me to say he could let me have a new '08 SD for $10.5 OTD and shipped to Oahu. Last time I checked the going rate to ship a bike from San Diego to Honolulu was around $600, so I might have to start calling...

2006 Ducati Sport 1000 -- Heavily Modded
2008 Triumph Daytona 675SE -- Sold
2008 KTM Super Duke -- Losing License
DRKWNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 10:45 AM   #62
Hair
Outside the boxer

Oddometer: 13,703
They are some of the best deals going in Motorcycling right now. I've always liked the endless seat that the SM or SE offers. But one can't argue with a great deal.
Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 01:04 AM   #63
DRKWNG
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hair
They are some of the best deals going in Motorcycling right now. I've always liked the endless seat that the SM or SE offers. But one can't argue with a great deal.
That's the problem, they are both great deals! I can get a left over '07 950SM for $9400 out the door, or a left over '08 SD for $10.5K OTD and shipped to my house. I hate these kinds of decisions...

Old 10-15-2009, 12:03 PM   #64
jcarlson9
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 193
Sm vs sd

I was thinking of selling my sm to get the sd but now resale on the s
is way low
jcarlson9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 11:37 PM   #65
jcarlson9
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 193
sdr

does anyone know if any r modles are around ?
jcarlson9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 06:38 PM   #66
neduro OP
Addict

Oddometer: 11,851
Akrapovic Map

My biggest complaint with the bike in stock form (or with slip ons, they didn't make much difference to fueling that I could tell) was "digital" throttle response, where it felt like power didn't increase linearly with throttle position.

This wasn't as much an issue when whomping on the bike at the track as it was riding with the GF trying to keep her head from hitting mine. It was hard to be smooth at very small throttle openings- the bike either lagged or surged.

So, I decided to give it a different map a try. I think there are 3 standard remaps for the Superduke available to all KTM dealers with an XC1 computer... I went for the Akra slip on one.

While the bike still isn't silky perfect, it's definitely improved. I haven't ridden the bike in anger yet, but it feels stronger (no dyno results, so that could be in my head) and it's definitely better for subtle inputs.

The other remaining open question is fuel economy. I don't really have a good baseline stock, but if I'm not getting the better part of 40 commuting, I'm going to be disappointed. I'll report back in time.

~2000 miles and counting (tho not all of them are mine...)

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 09:16 PM   #67
fast4d
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,236
O2 eliminators will rid of the abrupt response at low revs/throttle.
2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
2013 KTM SMT 990
fast4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 10:04 PM   #68
twodollardoug
the calimesa kid

Oddometer: 337
hey ned, i would definitely recommend a moto hooligan box and pcIII with custom split map. pull your secondary butterflies, g2 throttle with a 400 cam. balance your tb's and adjust your tps (you will be surprised how far out they are from the factory) and it will transform your sd. my 08 sd IS silky smooth..... more than my 08 adv with the same mods. im still trying to figure that one out.

i agree that the sd is the best street bike that i have ever ridden. first ktm actually. my sd came first then i bought my adv.

pm me if you want the how tos on the tb's and the tps.

heres a picture of my thunder pumpkins.

twodollardoug screwed with this post 10-25-2009 at 10:09 PM
twodollardoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 10:17 AM   #69
DRKWNG
Adventurer

Been a while since I (or anyone for that matter) posted in this thread, but I ended up buying a left over '08 from 3bros. They are taking the bike down to San Diego today and it should leave the port for the island on Tuesday. Can't wait for it to get here!

Old 11-20-2009, 01:13 PM   #70
cbig
Rift- Raft, SCooter Trash

Oddometer: 893
cool!

I'd seen some sweet deals on superdukes from Bert's for $8395 plus tax and license - no b.s. fees.

Was about to break for one but bought a Buell xb12ss 09 instead for 7k plus tax. As the economy tanks prices are on your side.
Old 11-20-2009, 02:35 PM   #71
KTMRyder
throttle jockey

Oddometer: 3,817
Neduro, I have the Akra map and FMF pipes and it does run quite a bit smoother, not perfect but I can live with it.
I have read the reports of the Motohooligan box, PCIII and oxygen sensor cutouts.

Sounds like it works well but, $900 is pretty steep price.
I will do it if I need to but so far it seems to be working well enough for me.

I do think you are correct, it seems stronger with the map.

Gas mileage, I seem to average 31-33 here, I am about 1000 feet in altitude.
I would think you could get 40 out there in the higher altitude fairly easy.

On the track I used quite a bit of fuel, I didn't check it but I bet it was only getting 20 or so. Heartland Park has a couple of long straights which eats some fuel.
Old 11-24-2009, 01:06 PM   #72
Dirty Dharma Bum
worlds slowest rider

Oddometer: 88
Succumbed to the lust that is the Superduke

Neduro, i also met my most recent love ('08 Superduke 990) at the Riggins, ID ride. My '08 Adventure is my first infatuation and the one i married but my new Superduke is that sexy vixen that you know is bad for you but must have. I picked up my SD last week and have been bouncing around every canyon i can find.
I will use the SD as my main commuter which will allow me to specialize my Adventure even more inclucing more aggressive tires etc and keep from racking the miles up on the ADV.
They make a beautiful pair.
'12 BMW K 1300 (here 'busa, 'busa, 'busa
“Live, travel, adventure, bless, and don't be sorry.”
Dirty Dharma Bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 04:33 AM   #73
DRKWNG
Adventurer

My SD should be here at the port, and ready to be picked up on Wednesday. Now I just need to find a good (from my boss' point of view) reason to go pick it up. ;)

Old 11-30-2009, 12:34 PM   #74
neduro OP
Addict

Oddometer: 11,851
DRKWing, tell your boss I said you should go.

Akra map is indeed an improvement. Seat of the pants says the bike is stronger, and it's a bit less "surgey" although still not perfect like a carbed 950 can be.

A couple minor updates:

Added a Kaoko throttle lock from Black Dog, which works great, and might be the easiest aftermarket install I've ever done. Wind out stock weight, reuse bolt in Kaoko, 2 minutes from start to finish. Works perfectly with no adjustments, so cheers to that.

Second, I bought a KTM hardparts tankbag so I'd have a way to get crap to the office and back, and in preparation for a CA canyon trip I see coming. Extremely nice bag, fits perfectly, looks nice, great features (expandable, rain cover, shoulder strap and grab handle, zip off base, etc)... much nicer than bodging on some generic bag that barely fits.

The bike is well north of 2k miles now, mostly in 20-30 mile increments of going to work, running a few errands, running home. It's interesting, I ride it more than I did the SE for this, just because it's smaller. The SE doesn't intimidate me, but I didn't always feel like dealing with it, where the SD just feels easy and low hassle. I'm not sure that makes any sense even to me, but it seems to be true so there you have it.

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 04:25 AM   #75
DRKWNG
Adventurer

Finally picked mine up yesterday. Got seventy-five miles on it so far and boy is it different than my Ducati! lol Now I just need to get it broken in and start the hunt for O2 eliminators and maybe a PCIII.