Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2009, 12:26 PM   #76
sixgunner
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playa Shark
Met you up in Riggins. Friend of Cullen in Reno. Bought my new, old stock '07 in July for a very good price. Love it. This is what I did this weekend at RFR. Although my riding may have sucked, the bike did not. Had it tunned with a PCIII. 105 rwh and 65 fpt. at 4400 feet.

In my 40 years of motorcycling the super duke is the most fun motorcycle I have ever owned. Hey Playa Shark is that the standard windshield mounted ontop the touring screen ? looks good. if so what did you use for mounting hadware ? thanks. Greg.
sixgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 07:52 PM   #77
ganshert
not sleeping

Oddometer: 8,007
ganshert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 08:45 PM   #78
Pork-Chop Express
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 248
Playshark's photos are very nice quality. Looks like something you'd see in a bike magazine.

Pork-Chop Express screwed with this post 05-11-2010 at 09:04 PM
Pork-Chop Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 08:50 PM   #79
Reg Kittrelle
Rider

Oddometer: 90
I completely understand.

Last month I rode a press KTM 990 SM-T in a 4-day event. I came home and sold my 2005 Multistarda and 2010 Buell Ulysses. There is now a new KTM 990 SM-T in my garage, and a very puzzeled wife in the house.
Reg Kittrelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 09:05 PM   #80
Pork-Chop Express
Gnarly Adventurer

So you did end up buying the SMT. Congrats!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reg Kittrelle
I completely understand.

Last month I rode a press KTM 990 SM-T in a 4-day event. I came home and sold my 2005 Multistarda and 2010 Buell Ulysses. There is now a new KTM 990 SM-T in my garage, and a very puzzeled wife in the house.
Old 05-12-2010, 08:35 AM   #81
Playa Shark
High Desert Prowler

Oddometer: 546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pork-Chop Express
Playshark's photos are very nice quality. Looks like something you'd see in a bike magazine.
Pictures are by Joe from 4theriders.com. Check out their website. Really decent guys.

Too bad the riding isn't magazine quality. October 11, 2009 coming out of the corner onto Sunset straight:

Very shortly thereafter. Spunup the rear and chopped the throttle too aggressively. Highside at about 60+ mph:

This is where I think I severely broke my left wrist. Multiple fractures in both hands and right foot. Nice new hardware in left wrist.

Bike is up an running again and will be back out at Reno-Fernley May 22-23 with the Sierra Sportbike Association. Nothing mechanically wrong, but I did completely toast the handlebar, brake master, etc. Will post pics of the new handlebar set up when I upload them.
Old 05-12-2010, 10:42 AM   #82
fast4d
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,053
ouch.
2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
2013 KTM SMT 990
fast4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 01:36 PM   #83
neduro OP
Addict

Oddometer: 11,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by Playa Shark
Too bad the riding isn't magazine quality.
Bummed! Sorry about that!

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 04:45 PM   #84
skortch
mmm... curvy

Oddometer: 618
Sympathetic gut clenching... ouch.

I went to a KTM demo event last weekend. Tried out the SMT, thinking that was the ideal bike for me. However, the riding position felt all wrong: too upright, and the seat hump sorta locked you into 1 position. But maybe that's what I should expect in a semi-touring semi-supermoto bike. Bike sorta left me cold, I think I'd move up to an Adventure.

SMR left me a little unaffected, too. I did like the 690 Duke, though it was maybe a bit too tiny.

But then I got on the Super Duke. Instantly, everything felt perfect. Just the right amount of forward lean, lots of leg room, just a nice semi-aggressive seating position. (Ok, maybe I'd saw half an inch off each side of the handlebar.) Great power, brakes, handling... and the little tour fairing tacked on the front helped block a bit of wind.

So now it's up on my list of (used) bikes to buy. I'll be trying some Speed and Street Triples at another upcoming demo day but the Super Duke will be hard to beat.
Old 05-12-2010, 05:12 PM   #85
neduro OP
Addict

Oddometer: 11,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by skortch
So now it's up on my list of (used) bikes to buy. I'll be trying some Speed and Street Triples at another upcoming demo day but the Super Duke will be hard to beat.
The prices for them used are pretty amazing- it's a lot of bike for the $$.

If you're looking, I may know of one for sale down here in CO Springs- let me know if you want me to make a phone call.

PS: Do I remember that you bought my old XR from DonTLR? If so, still have it?

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 08:32 PM   #86
skortch
mmm... curvy

Oddometer: 618
Quote:
Originally Posted by neduro

If you're looking, I may know of one for sale down here in CO Springs- let me know if you want me to make a phone call.

Nope, wasn't me buying the XR... and it'll be a month or so before I know if I have the spare cash to buy a bike. Thanks for offering to help, though! I might take you up on it at some point.
Old 05-13-2010, 08:30 PM   #87
Pork-Chop Express
Gnarly Adventurer

Playa Shark,
Those crash pictures make me cringe! Good to hear you're getting back on the bike though.
Old 05-14-2010, 08:26 PM   #88
KTMRyder
throttle jockey

Oddometer: 3,812
Quote:
Originally Posted by skortch
Sympathetic gut clenching... ouch.

I went to a KTM demo event last weekend. Tried out the SMT, thinking that was the ideal bike for me. However, the riding position felt all wrong: too upright, and the seat hump sorta locked you into 1 position. But maybe that's what I should expect in a semi-touring semi-supermoto bike. Bike sorta left me cold, I think I'd move up to an Adventure.

SMR left me a little unaffected, too. I did like the 690 Duke, though it was maybe a bit too tiny.

But then I got on the Super Duke. Instantly, everything felt perfect. Just the right amount of forward lean, lots of leg room, just a nice semi-aggressive seating position. (Ok, maybe I'd saw half an inch off each side of the handlebar.) Great power, brakes, handling... and the little tour fairing tacked on the front helped block a bit of wind.

Skortch, I test rode a used Speed Triple with 3500 miles on it and a KTM Superduke back to back within just a few minutes of each other.
I was set to buy the Speed as soon as I got back to the dealership.
the GM tossed me the keys to the SD and said "you must ride that bike."

I went out on the same loop and forgot about buying the Speed.
suspension, brakes, handling and a strong twin cylinder engine.
It was a leftover 07, brand new they picked up from a dealer that couldn't move the two he had.
got a smokin' deal and never looked back.

Playa Shark, man that's a nasty highside there dood.
I about did the same thing last month at a trackday, slow left hand corner that leads to a fast left that gets you down the back stretch.

I got a bit over anxious with the throttle while at full lean and she stepped wayyyyy...... out there.
luckily I managed to not chop the throttle and highside like you did.

It was pure luck though, skill had not much to do with it at that point.

Somebody took this picture of me out there, I think I posted it elswhere but I don't remember where.

Old 05-19-2010, 09:13 AM   #89
excess
aka torque151

Oddometer: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by neduro

I sent you an email. I'd like the details if you don't mind
Thanks
Old 05-19-2010, 08:52 PM   #90
jcarlson9
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 187
g2 cam

just installed a new throttle cam from g2 today,its a kr400.It starts out like the throttle tamer,but then ramps up faster so the twist ist so long,this is close to stock twist,but smooths out the jerkyness right off idle.I rode it in azusa canyon today and feels real good,the test is riding to work tomarrow while splitting lanes,thats when the jerkyness was a problem,well see how this works
jcarlson9 is offline   Reply With Quote