User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2009, 02:26 PM   #1
danotron OP
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Question Autocom & iPhone: redux!

Hey all. I'm trying to rig up an iPhone 3G to an Autocom Pro 7 Sport. As anyone with an Autocom and an iPhone is by this point no doubt aware, the cable one needs isn't exactly off the shelf. I've learned much about the wire that I'll actually need to make, thanks mainly to this excellent thread right here on advrider:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=276870

This, sadly, doesn't appear to be working out so well for me. I've built a male-male 4-pole 3.5mm TRRS wire based on knowledge gleaned from the above thread:

iPhone connection:
Tip: R SPKR
Ring1: L SPKR
Ring2: GND
Sleeve: MIC

I've seen some pinouts for the iPhone 3G connection claiming that Tip is actually L SPKR and that Ring1 is R SPKR, but honestly that part doesn't really matter. I don't really care if the stereo signals are backwards or not.

The important bits are at Ring2 and Sleeve. Every pinout diagram I've seen agrees that Ring2 is GND and that Sleeve is MIC. The wire I've made is as follows:

iPhone --> Autocom
Tip (R SPKR) --> Tip (R SPKR)
Ring1 (L SPKR) --> Ring1 (L SPKR)
Ring2 (GND) --> Ring2 (MIC)
Sleeve (MIC) --> Sleeve (GND)

I've got the wire going from the headset jack on the iPhone to the Aux 2 input on the Autocom. I can get audio just fine, and I can hear my own voice mic'd through the helmet speakers, but for the life of me, I can't get audio out from the helmet *to* the iPhone. The new iPhone OS has a voice memo tool, which has a snappy little sound meter on the bottom -- if I plug in a standard headset, and speak into it, I can see the voice meter registering audio input. If I inplug the headset and speak into the mics on the bottom of the phone, I can still see the voice meter registering an audio signal, but if I plug it back into the Autocom and speak, there is nothing. I've adjusted the VOX level to be as sensitive as it can be. I've also tried swapping the connections on Ring2 and Sleeve, but still nothing.

Note, I haven't yet hooked up the momentary switch in that diagram -- am I doing something wrong here?

Thanks very much for any input anyone might have. Cheers!

Dan
danotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 02:34 PM   #2
Norsman
...a GSophile

Oddometer: 2,347
This might not sound as clear, but you could always buy the bluetooth cord to connect to your phone. Last I checked, they (autocom) were out of the cord or no longer carried it, but they referred me to a place that still has them in stock.
Norsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 11:35 AM   #3
danotron OP
n00b

Oddometer: 2
I'd really rather not use Bluetooth if I can avoid it.

Does anybody know if this is even possible, *at all*, with a Pro-7 sport?
danotron is offline   Reply With Quote