User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2009, 03:26 PM   #1
danotron OP
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Question Autocom & iPhone: redux!

Hey all. I'm trying to rig up an iPhone 3G to an Autocom Pro 7 Sport. As anyone with an Autocom and an iPhone is by this point no doubt aware, the cable one needs isn't exactly off the shelf. I've learned much about the wire that I'll actually need to make, thanks mainly to this excellent thread right here on advrider:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=276870

This, sadly, doesn't appear to be working out so well for me. I've built a male-male 4-pole 3.5mm TRRS wire based on knowledge gleaned from the above thread:

iPhone connection:
Tip: R SPKR
Ring1: L SPKR
Ring2: GND
Sleeve: MIC

I've seen some pinouts for the iPhone 3G connection claiming that Tip is actually L SPKR and that Ring1 is R SPKR, but honestly that part doesn't really matter. I don't really care if the stereo signals are backwards or not.

The important bits are at Ring2 and Sleeve. Every pinout diagram I've seen agrees that Ring2 is GND and that Sleeve is MIC. The wire I've made is as follows:

iPhone --> Autocom
Tip (R SPKR) --> Tip (R SPKR)
Ring1 (L SPKR) --> Ring1 (L SPKR)
Ring2 (GND) --> Ring2 (MIC)
Sleeve (MIC) --> Sleeve (GND)

I've got the wire going from the headset jack on the iPhone to the Aux 2 input on the Autocom. I can get audio just fine, and I can hear my own voice mic'd through the helmet speakers, but for the life of me, I can't get audio out from the helmet *to* the iPhone. The new iPhone OS has a voice memo tool, which has a snappy little sound meter on the bottom -- if I plug in a standard headset, and speak into it, I can see the voice meter registering audio input. If I inplug the headset and speak into the mics on the bottom of the phone, I can still see the voice meter registering an audio signal, but if I plug it back into the Autocom and speak, there is nothing. I've adjusted the VOX level to be as sensitive as it can be. I've also tried swapping the connections on Ring2 and Sleeve, but still nothing.

Note, I haven't yet hooked up the momentary switch in that diagram -- am I doing something wrong here?

Thanks very much for any input anyone might have. Cheers!

Dan
danotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 03:34 PM   #2
Norsman
...a GSophile

Oddometer: 2,347
This might not sound as clear, but you could always buy the bluetooth cord to connect to your phone. Last I checked, they (autocom) were out of the cord or no longer carried it, but they referred me to a place that still has them in stock.
Norsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 12:35 PM   #3
danotron OP
n00b

Oddometer: 2
I'd really rather not use Bluetooth if I can avoid it.

Does anybody know if this is even possible, *at all*, with a Pro-7 sport?
danotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 08:03 PM   #4
SLV2NON
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Did you find a solution? I'm having the same issue with an Active 7 Smart. Even wired up the momentary switch and the microphone is still not connecting to the Autocom.
Old 10-30-2014, 07:15 AM   #5
Grimreaper7
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
I made a lead up to the requirements above, and it does work, though I have found that there seems to be a need for a common earth between the two units or a good power supply to the phone for it to work.
If I use the iphone on battery power it doesn't respond to remote button push, but connect the iphone to power (via a 12V/USB adapter) it works happily.
Grimreaper7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 08:53 AM   #6
01concours4now
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
My first question, are you plugging into the Aux 1 port on the autocom?

I purchased a special cable from the folks at Rocket Moto PO Box 1225 Hollis NH 03049 (877) 533 4245. They were very helpful.

The issue is that the Aux 1 port has power from it. The cable address this and removes the power from affecting the phone. Sometimes you have to bite the bullet and spend the money on a custom made cable.

Also word of caution, if you are powering the Autocom via bike power and decide to charge your phone while riding you will get a nasty ground loop.
01concours4now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 09:01 AM   #7
scootertrog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 210
I used to be a big Autocom user. While there's no denying it's a super system (when finally set up), at the end of the day making the switch to a Bluetooth system (smartphone/Sena) was so much more practical and a lot less headaches. And if you switch bikes.......lol
scootertrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 02:27 PM   #8
SLV2NON
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimreaper7 View Post
I made a lead up to the requirements above, and it does work, though I have found that there seems to be a need for a common earth between the two units or a good power supply to the phone for it to work.
If I use the iphone on battery power it doesn't respond to remote button push, but connect the iphone to power (via a 12V/USB adapter) it works happily.
Interesting. Odd that a common ground would be needed. The pause/play button on headphones work as a standalone system. I'll try that and hopefully it will work. Did the microphone not work until a common ground was used as well?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01concours4now View Post
My first question, are you plugging into the Aux 1 port on the autocom?

I purchased a special cable from the folks at Rocket Moto PO Box 1225 Hollis NH 03049 (877) 533 4245. They were very helpful.

The issue is that the Aux 1 port has power from it. The cable address this and removes the power from affecting the phone. Sometimes you have to bite the bullet and spend the money on a custom made cable.

Also word of caution, if you are powering the Autocom via bike power and decide to charge your phone while riding you will get a nasty ground loop.
I'm actually using the Active 7 smart. It has a port specifically for phone connections and everything I've read shows no power from the cable. That being said... I guess I'm taking a multi-meter to the cable while the unit is turned on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootertrog View Post
I used to be a big Autocom user. While there's no denying it's a super system (when finally set up), at the end of the day making the switch to a Bluetooth system (smartphone/Sena) was so much more practical and a lot less headaches. And if you switch bikes.......lol
I had used bluetooth in the past... Chatterbox X1 bluetooth and hated it. Maybe it is just the fact that it was a "shittybox". Just didn't feel like forking out a ton of money for two headsets when I already had an Autocom unit from the original bike purchase. I'm actually thinking now of switching to a throat mic setup from iasus straight to the phone. They have a push to talk button that will work with Voxer. Which will make it even more versatile.
Old 10-30-2014, 02:41 PM   #9
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 3,648
I have my autocom bluetoothed to the gps and phone. And the phones music and gps works flawlessly.

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 03:43 PM   #10
SLV2NON
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggot12 View Post
I have my autocom bluetoothed to the gps and phone. And the phones music and gps works flawlessly.
I don't want auto-answer. I need the ability to choose which calls I answer.

Maybe I just bypass the Autocom and go wired straight to the iphone...
Old 10-30-2014, 03:47 PM   #11
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 3,648
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLV2NON View Post
I don't want auto-answer. I need the ability to choose which calls I answer.

Maybe I just bypass the Autocom and go wired straight to the iphone...
I don't have to answer the ringing.. and when I do I just say "hello-hello" in the mic and the music stops and the call cuts in.

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 03:58 PM   #12
scootertrog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLV2NON View Post
...I had used bluetooth in the past... Chatterbox X1 bluetooth and hated it. Maybe it is just the fact that it was a "shittybox"...
lol..... You'd be correct. Sena is miles ahead of the Chatterbox. About the only thing I would say Autocom does better, is if you have the VOX set up well. Some of the upper-level Autocom's have incredible interconnectivity, but if your comm requirements are just 2 or 3 other riders, I'd rather just use the Sena. No denying Autocom's capabilities though, good luck sorting out your project.
scootertrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 05:33 PM   #13
SLV2NON
Gnarly Adventurer

Well, I'm almost there. The posts I've ready about needing a 4 pole to 4 pole cable are incorrect for the older Active 7 Smart. I opened up the Autocom and it has a 3 pole connector for the phone.

So.... now to determine what the correct pinout is.
Old 11-05-2014, 04:28 PM   #14
SLV2NON
Gnarly Adventurer

To close off my questions... Got the cable all figured out. Now I can use Siri while riding, and for a 10 year old wired headset... I'm loving it. Only complaint is the giant 7 pin plug which I'm looking at replacing with something easier to use.

Call quality is awesome. Had a conversation at 80mph and the other party had no clue I was on a motorcycle.