Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2009, 05:21 PM   #1
philofax OP
lifetime noob on wheels

Oddometer: 418
How Nightmarion became an ADVRider .. or poor planing results in Adventures

That can't be true.

Supposed to start tomorrow. 7 days riding to where the road takes us, by bike. I didn't hurry too much preparing my stuff and taking care of new tires, so this morning, I rode in at the tire shop somewhen around 10 am and patiently waited for things to start, cappuccino in hand. So as I'm standing there, smoking, drinking, I discover a stain on my well-kept rear rim. That can't be, I don't spend almost as much time polishing as riding just to stand there as a sloven at the tire shop. So I wipe it off.

Just a moment, that's oil. Oil with street dust. Ergo, oil is oozing from somewhere on to the rim. My pulse rate is now at about 100. So I lay down beneath the bike and peek at the final drive, which has just (last June) had a leaking shaft seal changed and to my horror, discover the oil doesn't come from the final drive but from the kardan tunnel. Pulse rate: 150.

I tell the friendly tire guy, changing the tires is postponed, I have to see the dealer.

Felling some amount of resentment, I ride to the dealer that sold me the bike two years ago and bring forward my problem.

His answer was pretty steep. "You don't have your service done here, so that's your problem, I don't have time." Did I just hear right? Stone-cold, planned holiday doesn't matter a bit, pissed off that I'd rather ride 10 than 35 km for having my numerous services done, polished off. I Proceed to the BMW headquarters Munich.

Noon, BMW headquarters Munich, a service guy looks at the mishap, listens to my speech about this BMW, my previous BMW, the other dealer and the planned holiday, nods one or two times and asks for 5 minutes. I have a smoke (my pulse rate must have reached 180 in the mean time) and see the trip start on the KLR and fall through. The service guy is back. They will open the Kardan tunnel, have a look and then tell me what has to be done. Emergencies get squeezed in somehow, they will make it work out somehow.

On the ABS-sensor: shavings enough and to spare, roughly estimated, a pound of iron comes out. A magnet is attched to the drain screw, if so much sticks to the sensor, noone wants to know what else will be coming out. The oil in any case is old, black and viscous. Remember, some months ago, the shaft seal got changed, they should have put in fresh oil. What did they do? Just change the seal and I've been riding with only half of the needed oil for months? Or replaced "a bit"? So, the final drive is done for, doesn't have play but is probably not in a state you want to rely on for going on a trip.

The seal at the gear box exit is leaking, too, the swing arm has to be removed to replace it, that will take some time. My tires? I can either forget about it and ride with 2,5 mm thread left on the anakee or I can find a solution. Tom, a friend of mine, has time, it's got something to do with bikes, he likes that so he agrees to help me, and 20 minutes later, arrives at BMW.

"Ehm, Tom, I told you I have to change tires... You're here by bike."

"So what? My girls has the car, we'll manage that somehow."

No sooner said than done. The BMW mechanic lifts the R12GS, removes the front wheel as well, and we put the wheels to the Touratech pannier holders with straps and hit the road. This works astonishingly well and so we arrive at the tire shop 20 minutes later, and in no time the anakee2 are exchanged for TKC80. On the way back, we mount the tires the same way (it works even better with knobbies) and reach BMW without incident, I hand the tires to the mechanic and Tom leaves to go riding a bit more.

It takes another hour until the R12 is assembled again. The swing arm cover on the left side had to be destroyed in order to get it off but what's those 20€ more? So, how much for the fun? Right now, nothing. A goodwill claim is being made to BMW, my usual dealer, who was too far to ride to this time, confirmed via phone that all services have been done and now all I can do is wait. They appease me by saying it "Won't be that bad", "Probably some of the working hours" and that's something I could live with. But if it reaches some threshold, I'll start arguing.

Whatever, the important thing is the trip can start as planned, thanks to Premio-Bernhard, BMW headquarter Munich and Tom.

.. to be continued
Sardinia, the Italian beauty in fall 2009
A country a day keeps the boredom away, Ride Report / Slovenia, Croatia, Italy, Austria, Germany Aug 2010
philofax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 05:37 PM   #2
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,380
Well, at least you got to do that near home before the holiday started and not on the road

Old 09-23-2009, 05:41 PM   #3
Nightmarion
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 178
Wicked I think I might add my point of view...

My day of preparations isn't as thrilling, I go through my checklist, that I started some years ago after I went camping without my sleeping bag, with some extensions:
  • New panniers equipped with locks and mounted

• packed spare brake and clutch lever
  • I have a sufficient supply of earplugs (Philofax snores a bit now and then)
  • bought a small can of chain lube
  • got some small packing, fast drying zip off trousers
  • controlled tread depth of my anakees (5,4 mm should be enough)
  • charged the camera battery
Hmm, what is not on my checklist? Oh yes, squeezing all that stuff into those panniers. Yes, works fine. Now off to bed, tomorrow our holiday starts.
Old 09-24-2009, 03:32 PM   #4
philofax OP
lifetime noob on wheels

First Leg ... Germany - Austria - Slovenia

Slovenia

After I calmed down from yesterday, today we mount the panniers on the
bikes, pack the tent and off we go. On the motorway to Bad Reichenhall,
as we want to get away from what we're used to as fast as possible.
From Bad Reichenhall on, we avoid the motorway. On the one hand so the
trip doesn't get boring, on the other hand because we don't want to pay.

In Austria, we continue our ride through Hallein, Pass Lueg and Bischofshofen.

Radstaedter Tauernpass, Twenger Talpass and Katschberg, where I'm not
sure if the skiers that we see don't think we're a bit cuckoo, riding through
snow covered terrain, just as we think they are, swinging above us in their
chair lifts.

Boring. Until Villach it really wasn't very exciting, but when we cross the
border to slovenia on the Wurzenpass, great scenery and the riding gets
great. We proceed via the national park Travisio in Italy to the Predil, which
leads back to Slovenia. In Bovec, we stick to the soca and ride up to the
camping lot of the same name. In the town of the same name)

Abenteuermann (Adventure man) has arrived yesterday and surprises us
with the plan "Adriatic coast, I want to ride the whole adriatic coast"..
"Aha, till tuesday?" Yes, that's what he wants to do and he wants us
to come along.

Easy, easy, food and shower first and then we'll see. I see the planned
routes vanish, as it gets quite chilly up in the mountains and "coast roads
and the sound of the ocean" doesn't sound too bad.

A country a day keeps the boredom away, Ride Report / Slovenia, Croatia, Italy, Austria, Germany Aug 2010
Old 09-25-2009, 02:32 AM   #5
Nightmarion
Gnarly Adventurer

just a little addendum...

It's the morning of Good Friday, 7:30. The alarm clocks (I don't awake to just one) are making noises. Cruel, loud noises. Holiday and getting up early just don't belong together.
Oh, well. I have some tea, then a shower and put the panniers that I remembered to pack last night on the bike, and we leave at 10:00. Autobahn to Bad Reichenhall, crossing the border to Austria at Großgmain and first stop at the gas station. These prices hurt a lot less than those at home.

I'm starting to notice that with filled panniers the KLE is everything but stable on the side stand. It has a tendency to topple to the right when it feels I'm not watching. So I'll have to take care to park in a flat space or, even better, on a slight slope to the left.

On we go, over Pass Lueg, Tauern (ski-lifts opened, lots of snow), Katschberg and, with a shortened brake lever, to the Wurzenpass.

Shortened brake lever? Why that? Weeell.... We stopped at a gas station in Villach, and I couldn't find a flat space near a fuel dispenser. So I filled up carefully, kept the KLE from tipping over two or three times and waited for Philofax to come back from paying. Told him to watch out for the KLE not tipping over and went to pay. When I came back out, much to my surprise, I saw Philofax picking up the KLE, my helmet, gloves and the bit that broke off the brake lever.
Fortunately, the lever was still long enough to grab it with three fingers, so I didn't want to change it right now, let's go on. Over the Wurzenpass to Slovenia,

a short detour to Italy and back to Slovenia over the Predil, without having a break in the little sauna house directly behind the border.

50 km to go from here, my butt still doesn't hurt, so after a short break on it goes. Did I mention the landscape? Riding in the mountains ist just sooo great. Time after time, you ride around a corner and are stunned by another great scenery. Made even more spectacular by the yellow screen of the MX goggles. Then we enter the valley of the soca. Scheiß die Wand an, ist das schön hier! A river which looks like deep turquoise through the goggles in a bed of white stones winds through that valley besides the road. Just great.

At the camping lot we meet Abenteuermann, who arrived yesterday, and leads us to the local supermarket. Equipped with enough meat for the evening, he then tells us, all the roads we were planning on riding are still closed because of snow, and someone on the camping place told him the adriatic coast in Croatia is just great and he will go there tomorrow. Ah, okay, let's think about that a bit.

The day ends with some meat that we grill at the neighbours' fire, and we're in bed before 10 pm. Who knows when the merciless sun will boil us out of the tent tomorrow.

Old 09-25-2009, 10:24 AM   #6
Geodesic
Explorer

Oddometer: 176
Great report so far! You're giving me ideas
Old 09-25-2009, 10:49 AM   #7
rogerfjrfaster
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
Talking Nightmarion became an ADV'er

Great photos and RR 2 of my freinds started a ride yesterday to wake up early 5am as the sprinkers went off to wet the grass where the put up the tents last night in the dark, soaking wet . So I guess they could br ADV'ers
roger'sklr

Old 09-25-2009, 10:53 AM   #8
philofax OP
lifetime noob on wheels

;) thanks for your reply, but stay tuned till we get to the part when nightmarion
is going to be a bad bad adv grrrrl.
Old 09-25-2009, 01:19 PM   #9
philofax OP
lifetime noob on wheels

And we woke up in Slovenia... the area is "julische alpen"

Ok. We ride with Abenteuermann, but no marathon legs just to cover ground.
Breaks for taking pics, eating, drinking are a must. We agree to ride one of
the gravel passes, so I don't have to forego all my planned tours.

First nightmation had to fix her broken lever ...

then we left this wonderful scenery...

Oh my, what a dream. A potpourri of loose gravel, rocks, rubble, dirt paradise
at its finest. Assorted with hairpin bends and debris, it keeps us in suspense.

Unfortunately, we come to an abrupt stop when we reach a landslide.
It originates three hairpin bends further up and didn't spare the road.

nightmarion has never before managed to ride her little KLE500 on loose
gravel and over stones, rocks and stuff. So i gave her, nearly on the top
of the hill, her very own "brave badass grrrl" sticker for her panniers.

Abenteuermann was not so lucky, took a "controlled but uncontrollable"
drift with the AfricaTwin, so we bend his panniers back in shape with
a little piece of wood.

To avoid damage on the bikes and us (the ride up here was trying enough),
we turn around and get ourselves safely back to the starting point. From
now on, Abenteuermann will take the lead to his adriatic coast. At the
departure, then after the gravel road, and at the first gas station we noted
that the arrival time that Abentuermann's GPS coughed up is far from
realistic. It gets chilly, then darker and with that even chillier and we only
just crossed the border to croatia. At an elevation of 840 m we see the sun
set but, allegedly, we are almost there.

"Almost there" meant we reached the coast around 20:45, and until we
stood at the camping place, it was close to half past nine, and the fact that
it was closed did derogate our mood some more. When we found the second
camping place closed, too, and the ride on the coast road resembled a
suicide mission, as we were unprotected game to the cagers, we issued the
ultimatum "Krk or guesthouse". Of course, the guesthouses in reach were
already closed, as well as the next camping place.

So, on to Krk, a toll bridge leads onto the island and we roll towards another
closed camping place, as it's nearing 11 pm. Abenteuermann's battery passes
away, and while we are wrenching on the Africa Twin by the light of a small
pocket light, the local policija stops by and makes inquiries what we are
doing. At least they can tell us where the next opened hotel is.
Thanks a lot, guys.

It's the Beli Kamik, they want 52€ per night for a double room.

Now, it's 1:30 am, I had a shower, am dead tired and Abenteuermann can
ride his suicide adriatic coast road all on his own, I'll go find me some gravel.

Oh yes. Croatia, here we are .. show us your beauty.

philofax screwed with this post 09-25-2009 at 03:06 PM
Old 09-25-2009, 01:53 PM   #10
MikJogg
Weekend Adventurer

Oddometer: 662
Hey,i know that campground,very nice place.Was there in june 07´.
Attached Images

...and winter
MikJogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 03:21 PM   #11
Nightmarion
Gnarly Adventurer

It's morning. 8:00, and no heat is building up in the tent yet. The night wasn't really warm, but therefore quite moist, could be expected when camping next to a river, the moisture just creeps up from there. Allright, time to crawl out of the tent. The mountain tops all around us are sunny, just down here in the valley, it's still damp and chilly. Topography can be a bitch.

So, some tea first, waking up slowly and think a bit more about our plans. Croatia doesn't sound too bad, and once (after "Lake Garda", "no vacation at all" and again "Lake Garda") it was where we wanted to go, before "we" switched plans again to go to Slovenia. And I'm sure it's warmer down there. So Philofax and I suggest to first have a look at one of our planned offroad trips, which is only a small detour, and then head off to Croatia, somewhere near Rijeka. Abenteuermann is ok with it, so that's what we'll do. Before that, I have a look at the brake lever (still hasn't grown back, damn) and change it. In the mean time, the sun has reached us and it's comfortably warm.

The crash bar has a few scratches, but that's what it's there for and I have plenty of Hammerite back home. The right pannier is a bit dented, but all my stuff still fits in, so we pack and head off.

After a few km on nice little roads we get to the junction to the gravel road. Philofax first, then me and Abenteuermann behind me. Whew, that's different from the little dirt roads around Munich. Steep, stones, bumps, narrow bends. We stop after about 1 km. The boys obviously having fun, me soaked in sweat and doubting if it was really such a good idea. But chicken out and and spoil the fun for the two? No, it's only 16 more km to go (boohoo) and somehow it's fun. We (or I) can't go any faster than 30 km/h on that kind of "road" anyway, so what can happen, if I should go down? So, let's go. The road varies, gets better sometimes, then worse again. I hear the stones banging against the bash plate and decide I will get rid of the lowering links as soon as possible. After some time even the bends are fun, one or two times i succeed in a not quite out of control drift. And then we stop. A landslide blocks the road.

We could bypass it, but the hikers we meet tell us about three more blockings on the way up and remind us that this is the southern side of the mountain. On the northern side, it is supposed to be even worse. So we decide to straighten Abenteuermann's pannier (He overdid the drifts a bit) and then return the way we came, 8,5 km so far. I discover that on gravel I'm just as much of a milquetoast when it comes to going downhill as I am on pavement, but I can't just stay up there and so ride down. Guess what, I survived it. So we go to the gas station at Kobarid, fill up and decide how to proceed.
Abenteuermann has the 2009 maps for the GPS which, in contrast to the 2008 version (that's on my and Philofax's GPS), cover croatia, so he takes the lead. His zumo allegedly says that after 180 km (hmm, it's almost 200 km beeline, how does that work? Not questioning this was the first big error.) we will arrive at Rijeka around 6:30 pm. Doesn't sound too bad, leaves some time to find a camping place and pitch the tent. Before we leave, I go to the toilet once more and there's no way I'm in the wrong room: it's pink.

The riding starts not bad, the usual twisty roads somewhen become a gravel road leading some kilometers to some sort of pass. Time for a little posing

We just don't really make progress like that and the arrival time of 6:30, that I never really believed, seems more and more fantastic. Around 5:45 we fill up at a gas station and we have 110 km to go. Abenteuer-"I want to go to the sea today!"mann's GPS says we'll be there by 8. Great. It will be dark by then and pitching a tent in the dark isn't fun.
Ok, let's go on (Not changing plans: second big error). Next break at 8 pm. I start getting tired of the hairpin bends, because a) I'm freezing and it's not fun like that and b) it's getting dark.
We're still 50 km away from our destination, and with just the headlights on these narrow, bendy roads which none of us knows we can't go very fast. My suggestion to look for a room and stay there for the night is dismissed with the words "We're almost at the sea, it's not far!" (Third big error: Not turning around to the last town we came through and just getting a room there.) A camping place that's a bit nearer is chosen from the GPS and allegedly we will be there by 8:30 pm. Haha. We get a lecture of how great the roads are (I would have preferred boring, ugly, but better lit roads by then) and what an adventure this is, and just before i start throttling anyone (Fourth mistake: not doing it?), we ride on. My left eye is starting to itch, I should take the contact lenses out as soon as possible.

Between 9 and 9:30 we go down to the coast. A great view. Probably, if you go by day. Now, it's just black and you can see some lights. By 10, we are at the camping place we were aimed at. Unfortunately, it's closed. So, a slight change of plans: We ride to Krk, there must be an open camping place on the island, and it's only 2 km to the toll bridge.

As a certain GPS had the option "avoid toll roads" activated, we first ride in the wrong direction for a whole 16 km on this oh so great coast road, where the cagers hunt you, driving up to 1m to your back before changing lanes, and after overtaking, force you to brake if you don't want to be pushed from the road, before Abenteuermann notices our signals (Fifth mistake: waiting for him to react and not just turning around?) we turn around at another -closed - camping place and after some shouting really ride to Krk. ("I thought maybe we already had crossed the bridge" - "uh-hu")

Abenteuermann asks the cashier for an open camping place and even gets an answer. On our way to a different - closed, of course- camping place, Abenteuermann's Africa Twin suddenly refuses to start again after a short stop for directions. After some tinkering, we find out that one of the battery connections has vibrated loose.
Just as it's being tightened again, the police stops by, asking what we're doing there and if they can help. We explain that we just found the problem and are fixing it this very moment (just past 11 pm), but they could really make us happy by telling us where there's a hotel (Abenteuermann from behind his bike: "Or a camping place")(No mistake: ignoring that) that's open.
And indeed, they tell us that the Hotel Beli Kamik in Nijvice (he had to spell that for us) is open. 25 km. We ride there, take rooms for 52€ (double room) respectively 32€ (single room) including breakfast, get our stuff to the room and after some bread and cheese on the bed and peeling the contact lenses from my eyes, I just fall asleep.

Old 09-26-2009, 02:52 PM   #12
philofax OP
lifetime noob on wheels

The croatian island "krk" .. really, it's the name "krk".

45° northern latitude

which means halfway between the equator and the north pole. We cross this
line several times today. not so much because we're so enthusiastic about
it, even if it's a great degree of latitude, but rather because, after a rich
breakfast at the hotel beli Kamik, we went on our way to investigate the
island and, while we're at it, looking for a place to spend the night.

The camping place in the capital, Krk, was filled with mobile homes and
season campers, the ground rocky and the adequacy for tents was
disputable. So we move on to Punat to have a look at a slightly better, but
far from perfect, camping place after which we proceed to Stara Baska.
Here, we find a miniature camping place a bit outside of the town, which
looks a bit like a hippie camp. The overall condition of the place doesn't
promise positive surprises, so we go on to Baska and have a look at Camp
Mali and Camp Zablace. We settle down at the latter, after we had some
coffee and a look at the pedestrian zone/promenade of Baska.

We pitch our tents at the beach (20 m from the water line), there's running
water next to the tents, and it feels like 25°C at 6 pm.
We have dinner, drink some Spezi (mixture of cola and orange lemonade) and
cappucino at the Cafe Forza, not far from the camping place and look back
on the day.

As we have a lot of time left, we consider to stay in Croatia some more
instead of heading back to Soca on monday already. Sun, ocean, mountains,
that's just a lot of fun.

philofax screwed with this post 09-27-2009 at 10:25 AM
Old 09-27-2009, 10:23 AM   #13
Nightmarion
Gnarly Adventurer

7:30, an alarm is going. After my polite request ("Stop that fucking thing!") it stops quite quickly. 8:30, another alarm is going. Now it's time to get up, after all, breakfast ends in an hour and I also want to take a shower.

After breakfast we pack the bikes and hit the road, looking for an accomodation for the next night. It's some minutes past 10, meaning we have all day and we know that, should all go bad, the camping place in Krk (the town, not the island) definitely is open. So the odds for a similar "adventure" as last night are rather slim.

First, we have a look at aforementioned camping place in Krk. It's not exactly brilliant, and so we decide to use the time to look a bit around.

On we go to Punat. The camping place is a bit better than the one in Krk, but unadvantageously there's noone at the reception. Open until noon, a sign says. It's quarter past.
After having a look at a small and rather strange camping place near Stara Baska we ride a little more, enjoying the beautiful scenery.

We stop in the promenade of Baska for a little break. Coke, tea, coffee, and a tourist office where we can change Euro to Kunar. There, we also find out that Baska has two camping places, a normal one and a nudist one. As I didn't pack the right clothes for a nudist camping place, we go to the ordinary one, Camp Zablace. The reception is a bit hidden and a bit outside of the camping place , but in the end we find it. 27€ for the first night with 3 bikes, 3 people and two tents, that's not too expensive, we're staying here. We find a nice place for the tents, about 20 m from the waterline and not too far from the showers. We pitch the tent, wash some clothes and hang them up to dry. A bike and a tent string make for a great clothesline.

Then we return to Baska, to the Cafe Forza, to eat something. Even if it looks a bit scary, I'm satisfied with a risotto frutti di mare.

Philofax takes surlice (a sort of homemade noodles with goulash)

And, as the poor guy almost starved to death yesterday, he also takes a dessert: a pizza funghi. :lol

We close wih a tea and a cappuccino and return to the camping place to look out to the sea from the tent a bit. As it's really warm and there seem to be no mosquitoes, we leave the tent open. Great. That's how a vacation should be.
Old 09-28-2009, 01:29 PM   #14
Nightmarion
Gnarly Adventurer

Abenteuermann returns to Munich today via Slovenia. We decide to enjoy one more day of sun, sea and mountains and see some more of Krk. The island isn't really big so we don't need to hurry. After all, we're on holiday, not on the run.

As shops are closed on easter monday, we go to the same place as yesterday and fill up a bit with eggs, bacon and the like. yummie :)

The decision wasn't easy, but in the end I chose the lesser insolence.

Then we're heading north (as there isn't much south left to head to), aiming for the northernmost point of the island, from where you can see the bridge to the mainland. The first stop is in Krk near the beach to take some photos of the bikes at the sea. sooo beautiful there...

Between Rudine and the northern end we come across a cute little gravel road with a sign saying "not allowed for vehicles > 7.5t". What does Philofax do? He rides by! Nooo! Your bike isn't that heavy! Horn, high beam, some gesturing and we turn round at the next opportunity to take the gravel road. Nice. very nice. Nothing special, almost boring compared to the mountainbike road we rode on Saturday, but relaxing and fun.

After that we continue our ride to the north end, to take some pictures of the bikes at the sea and of the bridge.

As that gravel road was so much fun, we decide not to ignore any further non-paved roads. Near Vrbnik we find another gravel road. Well, road. Not really what I would call a road. But it can't be so much worse that the way on Saturday, and this time, we don't have the panniers. So how bad can it be? Worse than I imagined.

The beginning is bad already, not only is it steep, but the gravel is deep and loose and there are big stones buried in it. And it doesn't get better after the first corner. Unfortunately, afraid of losing control and falling, I take the foot off the footpeg "just in case" I'd need to stabilize the bike. And that's when things start to go really bad. I sway wildly to the left and right, all I can do is keep the front wheel going in roughly the right direction and two things come to my mind: "Stay on the throttle, that's the only thing that has a chance of getting you out of this upright" and something some offroad rider told me long ago: "The feet leave the pegs when the handlebar touches ground and vice versa." Somehow I manage to get my feet back on the pegs and the KLE under something remotely resembling control, when I reach a piece thats a bit more level and where the stones are bit less big. Now, it's fun again. Until we reach a steep decline. Phil rides down first, in my head, I already see him flip over and roll down. His rear wheel locks up, slides, jumps, but he gets down safely.
There's no way I can do that. I've never ridden more than some harmless gravel roads around Munich, I'm just not capable of arriving down there on the bike and in one piece. I'm standing up there, clinging to the handlebars panically and the only movement I can manage is shake my head. But shaking my head works well and won't stop. I will not go down there, no fucking way!
Then I start to think. What can I do? I can't turn around, I can't go back, the way I'm standing there I can't even get off the bike and I can't stay here forever. Somewhen I will get thirsty, get hungry, have to pee. So if I don't want to die of thirst after having wet my riding pants (iiiiiih!), I will have to go down there, however I do it. Allright, there's a trail that looks a bit better on the right, I feel my way there and then try to just roll down in first gear without any throttle. Halfway down, it feels too unstable going so slow, so I open the throttle to get down faster. Puuuuh. Looked worse from up there than it was.

After 20 m more, we see another ascent. Not very steep, but looong, looks about the same at as the beginning of the "road", and we can't see the end, as it's hidden from sight by a bend. No way will I go up there with the Anakees, (Always good to have an excuse) so we turn around.
So the decline I just came down now becomes a ramp. But uphill is waaayyyy easier than downhill. So I choose the same track that I came down, stand up, get on the throttle, lean a little forward and up it goes. Hey, that worked fine. Was fun. Again? No, Phil comes behind me and seems quite set on reaching the pavement again. Oh well, we go back.
All standing up, I don't want to lose control like I did before. And even if a bit slow, it works quite well. At the last piece, Phil goes in front to make sure the crossing at the end of the gravel is clear when I arrive. So I go the last few meters

I reach the pavement, I brake.
Unfortunately, I grab the front brake. Hard.
Unfortunately, there is some gravel spilled on the road.
Down.

Scratches on the crash bar, turn signal and the tape around the pannier holders. And in my ego of course. Then we look at the sign at the "road" we just came from. Different from the GPS, which says it's just an unpaved raod, the sign says it's a hiking trail. That explains a lot.

So we ride on, past some donkeys that seem to have broken free

taking the nice little gravel road like earlier that day, back to Baska, have dinner and then sleep with an open tent again. Nice.
Old 09-28-2009, 02:35 PM   #15
Chukar
n00b, n00ber, n00best

Oddometer: 46
Chukar is offline   Reply With Quote