Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2009, 06:05 AM   #1
John Smallberries OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,210
Impact Jacket Airbag: anyone else got one?

Hi;
I have two riding days now with an Impact Jacket airbag jacket on my 1200GS. So far, I like it and am 3-for-3 in getting on/off the bike without forgetting to disconnect the tether! I did find the supplied carabiner to be far too small to easily manipulate with riding gloves. A trip to REI found a good replacement. The material and CE shoulder/elbow armor seem solid.

I'm interested to hear of any good/bad stories with these airbag jackets.
John Smallberries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 06:11 AM   #2
Xeraux
Archvillain

Oddometer: 30,899
Be honest with us when you absent-mindedly dismount the bike and inflate your jacket.

If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.
Xeraux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 06:53 AM   #3
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,886
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeraux
Be honest with us when you absent-mindedly dismount the bike and inflate your jacket.
Or, crash, and, land on the c02 inflator thingy.
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 07:23 AM   #4
Xeraux
Archvillain

Oddometer: 30,899
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams
Or, crash, and, land on the c02 inflator thingy.
I would hope that the fully-inflated jacket would prevent injury from the cO2 inflator mechanism-thingy. That would seem kind of back-assward if the jacket itself injured you.

(I hope he never has to report a crash. )

If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.
Xeraux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 08:56 AM   #5
kikele
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
Ive been using one of this jackets for the last two years, and for me is like when you get out of your car, you never forget to unfasten your seat belt or dou you? OK but this is a motorcycle and you never did in the past so probably the first times you have to remember, but after a while you get used to. Regarding the CO2 cylinder there is a risk on getting injured with it, but Ive riding motorcycles my whole life, and fall down a lot of times, and never I felt down on my chest it has been always on my back or side.
kikele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 09:01 AM   #6
jackanory
I am Jack's wasted life

Oddometer: 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeraux
oh please let this be caught on video...
jackanory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 05:18 AM   #7
John Smallberries OP
Beastly Adventurer

Puke Co2 bottle

Hi
ok I'm now 9 for 9 rides without inflation. It's good to hear of someone two years ahead of me and still using the jacket. With regard to the CO2 tank, there are different locations. The Hit-air jacket has the bottle on the chest. My Impact Jacket carries it down low by the "love handles" on the right side. I've got ample biological cushion in that area!

I promise to 'fes if I screw up.

Craig
Old 09-26-2009, 05:40 AM   #8
Ducman69
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 343
Its almost 2010 and they rely on a physical tether to deploy this?

Sensors are dirt cheap and tiny nowadays. Just look at a nintendo wiimote, it costs $25 and can detect various levels of motion sensitivity from up down, left right, twist, and tilt, and w/ the new motionplus add-on know its place in realspace.

Integrate a simple circuit that is off until motion activated to conserve battery, and then doesn't arm itself unless the ignition is in the ON position and you're either X-distance from the bike or experiencing a bodily acceleration that is X-factor different from those on the bike.

That way its smarter, more transparent to the user, and foolproof as long as you don't walk away from the bike with the engine running.
Ducman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 06:48 AM   #9
John Smallberries OP
Beastly Adventurer

Low-tech tether

Hi;
I understand that Dainese has a jacket that works as you desicribe: sensors and no thether. Here is a YouTube video of it in action: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mo9Vl...ture=rec-HM-r2

I agree it would be more convenient - but the tether requires no battery, no microprocessor - it's dead simple.

You would think BMW could easily engineer a solenoid-operated attachment point for the tether with a starter interlock and automatic release after the ignition is turned off. Maybe one day.

For now, I'll just focus on avoiding being an idiot.

Craig
Old 09-30-2009, 06:44 PM   #10
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,341
turns out a friend of mine's old man or uncle manufacturers these, I forgot the brand. That co2 canister is fucking huge and looks dangerous. Would be nice if they used screw on canisters or standard airgun type canisters. Otherwise I'd pull his string to see how it works...

another thing I have an issue with is this. When you get thrown your body instinctively protects itself, covering your face or chest, crossing your hands in prep for a roll, e.t.c. Seems to me a giant ballon covering you would limit you from doing much of anything and kind of force you to ragdoll when you might not have without the jacket.

Anyway, he has an extra one thats too large for him, I'll borrow it and report back.

EDIT: Brand is hit-air

HaChayalBoded screwed with this post 09-30-2009 at 07:06 PM
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 12:41 PM   #11
John Smallberries OP
Beastly Adventurer

CO2 cartridge

Hi;
My Impact Jacket CO2 cartridge is threaded and looks to be very easy to replace. One differentiator between the Hit-Air and the Impact Jacket is the location of the cartridge: on your chest with Hit-Air, by the "love handle" on the Impact.

Neither jacket "blows up like a balloon" - they have internal tubes that inflate on either side of the zipper on your chest, down your back and around the back of your neck.

If you are You Tuber, just search for airbag jacket and you will see videos of both jackets in action.

Let me know how you like it.
CMR

PS - I'm now 15-for-15 on/off cycles without inadvertent inflation! I hope to add at least one each day while the weather holds out in SE Michigan.
Old 10-01-2009, 02:14 PM   #12
MeterPig
Meh

Oddometer: 17,095
Not the answer you are looking for, but I have crashed hard several time on my 661 suit. It is dorky looking, but no broken ribs yet. I have crashed far more on a dirt road, rock strewn road, trees everywhere than on the street. Something to think about.
Old 10-01-2009, 02:19 PM   #13
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer: 1,036
So what happens if you forget? Is it as serious as having an airbag in your car go off where you could bust your nose or get burned? Is a one time only thing or if it goes off can you reuse it?

Sounds like a great idea - very curious?
rickypanecatyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 02:26 PM   #14
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickypanecatyl
So what happens if you forget? Is it as serious as having an airbag in your car go off where you could bust your nose or get burned? Is a one time only thing or if it goes off can you reuse it?

Sounds like a great idea - very curious?
I was wondering that also.
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 03:09 PM   #15
John Smallberries OP
Beastly Adventurer

Wicked What happens when...

Hi
If you accidentally deploy the airbag, you unscrew the empty CO2 cartridge and the air comes out. You flatten it out, refold the neck ring and tuck it back in. Reset the valve and screw in a new cartridge. I admit I haven't done it myself yet, but it looks easy. It is definitely not like a car airbag that uses an actual explosive charge. The CO2 tanks sell for $22 online, but they threw in a free one with my Impact Jacket.

I'm on my second week riding with it and am very happy with the purchase.

CMR