Diduseedasizeofdatchickin

Oddometer: 1,764
PSYCLOPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 11:57 PM   #152
LittleWan
You can do it!

Oddometer: 1,716
hey, larryboy!
holy crap - struck by lightning? did you get any super powers?

seriously, hope you're okay. head injury, knee injury...and you're not even on the TAT yet. heh.

Fantastic report! I'm sorry I didn't get here sooner, but I'm caught up now. Matt had to nuke some garden burgers for dinner - I was too engrossed in your RR to cook...
Can't wait to see what happens next...

Oso bored? you can find the rest of our ride reports HERE
make stupid your favorite!
LittleWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 12:02 AM   #153
Mr. Fisherman
PROUD 2B Riff Raff!

Oddometer: 10,654
Ride on LarryBoy, Ride on!

Great stuff, you just can't make this stuff up.
I miss Wyoming and yearn to get back there for a romp.

Wee need to share a campfire again... it was great meeting you at the Barnical Bistro opening.

Looking forward to the rest of this report...
Mr. Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 12:24 AM   #154
pdedse
paraelamigosincero

Oddometer: 1,114
Not sure how you manage to ride 300-400 miles off road and still stop to smell the proverbial roses...I just know I haven't had this much fun reading a road report for some time--and then I realized, hey, it's not like he's riding through Asia...I live in OR, I can ride to these places too!

pdedse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 12:34 AM   #155
pdedse
paraelamigosincero

Oddometer: 1,114
I went back and watched the lighting srike vid again. Is the srike at the 4:50 mark right before you let out a woo-hoo-hoooo yelp? That's the only spot a see a flash of light cross the road.
pdedse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 12:45 AM   #156
Off Limits
Thread killer

Oddometer: 3,434
must be at the 450 mark, i seen it too, and its the same as in the still shot. thats freakin awesome to catch it on film
Old 10-07-2009, 08:22 AM   #157
larryboy OP
Chopper Rider

Oddometer: 14,122
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWan
hey, larryboy!
holy crap - struck by lightning? did you get any super powers?

seriously, hope you're okay. head injury, knee injury...and you're not even on the TAT yet. heh.

Fantastic report! I'm sorry I didn't get here sooner, but I'm caught up now. Matt had to nuke some garden burgers for dinner - I was too engrossed in your RR to cook...
Can't wait to see what happens next...

Super powers? I wish.

My right knee isn't right yet, still a little purple and makes a popping noise more than it used to...I'll be okay. Thanks for stopping in. Your report was great and I got some great tips from it just days before I was to leave!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fisherman
Ride on LarryBoy, Ride on!

Great stuff, you just can't make this stuff up.
I miss Wyoming and yearn to get back there for a romp.

Wee need to share a campfire again... it was great meeting you at the Barnical Bistro opening.

Looking forward to the rest of this report...

Yeah man, Wyoming...I really, really liked that place. I bet it's rough in the winter, but it was perfect while I was there...aside from the lightning storms. I keep an eye out in the PNW section for fun get togethers...we'll cross paths again I'm sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdedse
Not sure how you manage to ride 300-400 miles off road and still stop to smell the proverbial roses...I just know I haven't had this much fun reading a road report for some time--and then I realized, hey, it's not like he's riding through Asia...I live in OR, I can ride to these places too!

I went back and watched the lighting srike vid again. Is the srike at the 4:50 mark right before you let out a woo-hoo-hoooo yelp? That's the only spot a see a flash of light cross the road.

I had a couple days over 500 hundred towards the end of the trip...I ride alone and it allows me to do things like this. The video where you can see the lightning is a storm shortly before the one where I got zapped..same type of action. Yeah, that is the lightning at about 4:50. When I slow the vid down there are about 7 frames where there are flash lines across the road, that was a very close call.

Thanks for coming along, everybody.

I'll try to get another segment posted today.

Old 10-07-2009, 09:14 AM   #158
larryboy OP
Chopper Rider

Ok, I'm into Colorado.

I have no idea what the speed limit is and there are cops everywhere giving out tickets. I hold it to 60 mph, come around a corner and into a speed trap...I pull off and ride up to the drivers door..."Excuse me officer, I came off a dirt road and I have absolutely no idea what the speed limit is. Can you help me out with that?" Hehe, sly dog am I. It was 45 or something silly, his radar had me at 60 on his dash. "Thank you, sir!! Enjoy that holiday pay!!!" Off I went.

Right into another nasty storm.

I'll admit it...I felt beat down, tired and defeated. There was lightning in all directions and I feel like a lightning rod now...I'm honestly scared. I pulled down a driveway hoping for a carport or something. I stayed here until the hail stopped...that stuff hurts like hell in a dirt helmet...I have to jam my left hand inside my helmet to block the hail from my face.

Once the hail stopped I moved down the road and found a barn to hide in. I decided that I was going to get wet today and put things in plastic bags. My gear dries out pretty good between storms so I don't put on my rain gear.

I got gas in Steamboat Springs, the place looks silly..like Disneyland or something. Everybody has a laquered log cabin and they look out of place to me. I talked to a German kid on a bicycle in this area. He was beat to hell and covered in scabs. He'd had a nasty crash back in Wyoming. I don't know any German at all and we had a hard time talking.

Went past a lake and saw a cool old Dodge pickup.

Old 10-07-2009, 09:32 AM   #159
Super Suz
N00b with B00b

Oddometer: 1,556
Oh Boy, Oh Boy, Larryboy!
Member of the Oakland Motorcycle Club. In town? Come visit us on a Weds night. We love show and tells! Want to speak about your trip or motorcycle topics in the Bay Area of Northern California? We have a club hall. IM me. If you give us enough notice and if we like your topic, you can come and speak. We have room for others to come and listen too.
Super Suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 10:40 AM   #160
rogerfjrfaster
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
Talking rideing the great devide

Larryboy
what an awsome ride you did and the photos are the best along with your camcorder were great,hope your knee heals ok. Were doing Alaska next summer hopefully more dirt we can find looking at 4 weeks.
roger'sklr
Old 10-07-2009, 02:30 PM   #161
prsdrat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 677
SUBSCRIBED! Keep it comin'.
prsdrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 03:17 PM   #162
Radioman
Moto rider

Oddometer: 5,011
Hello Larryboy.

Just found your RR, and enjoying catching up with you and your ride. WOW Crazy ride. Glad your sharing with the rest of us.

Ride of my Lifetime...... Thread started 5/11/2011 http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post15950430
Radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 04:50 PM   #163
Henry James
Looking for Adventure

Oddometer: 350
Ride Report

Great report. I am really enjoying it. The poetry with the photos is fantastic. Hope you dodge the rest of the lighting.
John
Henry James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 06:01 PM   #164
Jman955i
Falls Down A Lot

Oddometer: 1,714
Yeah that lightning striking you hurts like hell. I was struck indirectly when I was working. I was working in the HVAC Field when it happen. We were changing out a A/C when this thunderstorm came up. We stopped and let the took cover while the rain pass also knock out the power, came back out and was connecting the ducts up. When I was hugging the duct trying to get it to fit up a bolt of lighting struck about 100 feet out in the feild beside the house.

events after went like this.

BOOOMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!!

Me - AHHHHHHHHAH
Coworker - Whats wrong????

Me - I JUST GOT SHOCKED!!!

Coworker - How the power is off?

Me - Dam muthk@$*&# Lighting just struck out here.

Coworker - HAH AHAH AHAHHHHAHAAAAHAHA

You're right my joints hurt for 2 days after.
Old 10-07-2009, 06:06 PM   #165
larryboy OP
Chopper Rider

Speaking of lightning.