Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2009, 12:11 AM   #31
PacificPT
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 982
Very cool ride report and you tube segments. Looking forward to more.

There's roads and there's roads and they call, can't you hear it? Roads of the earth and roads of the spirit. The best roads of all are the ones that aren't certain. One of those is where you'll find me till they drop the big curtain. Bruce Cockburn
PacificPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 12:22 AM   #32
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 99,149
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 12:58 AM   #33
flying.moto
Earthbound Misfit, I

Oddometer: 181
Awesome RR! Im so in til the end!

gosh, i cant wait til the work eases off a bit and i can save up for a getaway... til then, i'll follow yours!
Old 09-26-2009, 10:14 AM   #34
ThumperDRZ
Bouncing off Rocks!

Oddometer: 2,399
This is gonna be one to follow to the end....

On Hiatus
ThumperDRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 11:09 AM   #35
stephano
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,214
Great photo's. And your braver than I.....I wouldn't be pulling any top speed runs by myself, out in the middle of no where, on a bike with 20,000 miles on the ticker.

But its still cool.

A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take away everything you have.
Your Government cannot give you something without taking something away from someone else.

I don't want to gain the whole world, and lose my soul. - Tobymac.
stephano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 05:22 PM   #36
Super Suz
N00b with B00b

Oddometer: 1,556

That's it. I have got to get a helmet cam. Going to check out that thread later. Meanwhile....

Amazing how that poor bird became embedded into the plastic. Not sure if that's the helmet or bike.

Did you pluck them and stick them in your oil-filled billy can deep fryer?
Member of the Oakland Motorcycle Club. In town? Come visit us on a Weds night. We love show and tells! Want to speak about your trip or motorcycle topics in the Bay Area of Northern California? We have a club hall. IM me. If you give us enough notice and if we like your topic, you can come and speak. We have room for others to come and listen too.
Super Suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 07:06 PM   #37
Stravoxylo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 289
oh yeah, this hits the spot... and to think there are 21 more days to go!

looking forward to the rest.

Had my 1st experience with altitude a couple of months ago riding to the top of mt Evans in Colorado. Started to get light headed and short of breath a bit. Then the park ranger got on the horn to evacuate the mountain top due to lightning. I was the last one out of the parking lot. Lightning cracking close enough to make the hair on my arms stand, cured all my altitude ills, so I could focus on how much all that grinding of chrome, at every turn, was going to cost me when I dropped off the rental
Stravoxylo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 08:06 PM   #38
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,514
Subscribed.
Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 12:08 AM   #39
RMac
Cheese!

Oddometer: 1,793
Late to the party and playing catch up but I'm in.

RMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 08:57 AM   #40
RPD1
We don't

Oddometer: 15,743
Nice work, as always. Yours are always worth tuning in to.
RPD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 10:37 AM   #41
redpillar
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 843
Let the games begin!!
redpillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 12:45 PM   #42
larryboy OP
Leisurely Liar

Oddometer: 13,847
Thanks for reading!!!

Morning of day three. I had gone up into the Steens further, but the camping area was a "dry camp" and I needed water, so I had gone back a few miles and camped near a stream. I had scouted out the pooper and garbage cans last night, I hate pooping in the woods and don't like packing garbage around all day.

I meant to get some video of the "Rooster's Comb" section..(I think they call it that?), there were big signs about how rough it was. I missed it because I never saw anything difficult? Oh well, it was a pretty morning on the way up..saw some nice Mule Deer, big ole mossy backs.

A few turns before the overlook my clutch cable snapped.

The new cable that I brought with me wouldn't fit right and I fought with it for over an hour. I finally put a zip tie on the ferrel up near the adjuster by the lever to take up some slack and I had to take all of the slack out down on the engine. Way to early in the trip to be using my spare cable already...in my Husky experience I know I'm not going to make it home on this cable. What better place in the world to work on your bike?

I went around the gate up to the summit.

Shot a little video on the way down. I'm going for short clips this time, it's too much work to edit and after 3 minutes I'm bored to tears with most videos.

One more of the Steens as I head around the loop to Frenchglen for gas. I don't think the teenage girl working at the store likes her life...must be very lonely to live there.

I've got to keep moving today as I've got a couple hundred miles of desert to cross to get to Paisly where I'm planning on catching the Oregon Backcountry Discovery Route.

The wildlife I saw to today was mind blowing..Mule Deer, Antelope, Coyote, Golden Eagle, Red Tail Hawk and a few different kinds of Owl.

I don't have any maps of the roads I'm taking today..the Zumo is a blank screen and the 376 doesn't show any of these roads..dead reckoning.

I crossed a couple highways and went across the north end of Abert Lake.

I was good on gas, so I skipped going into Plush and made Paisly for gas...must have been around noon. Burners headed south for Burning Man.

On Route #5 now!!! I don't geek out over riding an entire route or trail...I do what makes me happy, I have made it to Paisly from Sacramento with only about 80 miles of pavement and that makes me happy.

I went up to Winter Ridge. I'm in awe of Mr. Fremont..in my mind he is one of the greatest to explore our country on a list that includes Lewis/Clark and names like deSoto, Pizarro, Coronado and the likes. You'll have to suffer through all of my pictures up there..I spent some time and ate lunch..really amazing place.

Old 09-27-2009, 03:10 PM   #43
larryboy OP
Leisurely Liar

Oddometer: 13,847
I crossed Hwy 31 and got into the good stuff!!! Silt and rocks to Christmas Valley!! Hot as heck too!!

I'm not carrying extra fuel yet, I brought the can for a stretch in Wyoming that is 260 between gas stations. I'm getting about 60 miles per gallon in the slow stuff and about 54 when the speeds pick up.

I love this section of the trail.

Lodging is really cheap in Christmas Valley, so I like to get a room there.

I had forgotten that the restaurant there is cash only. I'm hanging onto my cash for when I really need it, like Frenchglen~cash only. Popcorn and beer for dinner.

I made Hwy 31 to X-mas Valley in a tick under 3 hours. Called it an early day at 6:30PM for a 300 mile day.
Old 09-27-2009, 03:37 PM   #44
herengone
comfortably dumb

Oddometer: 87
I'm in! And jealous! Looks like an awesome ride so far and an awesome outlook seeing as though you have already had bike trouble in the first couple days. Gonna have to get out west eventually.
Old 09-27-2009, 03:57 PM   #45
joenuclear
Planning.....

Oddometer: 6,133
Wonderful. Thanks!