Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2009, 07:44 PM   #46
MissFenderFine
Now Offically De-n00bed!

Oddometer: 1,260
Love the pic of the Husky among the birch trees.....more helmet cam!!!

Sometimes I'm here...sometimes I'm not.
MissFenderFine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 08:06 PM   #47
bpeterson
I just tweeted it

Oddometer: 1,026
good stuff. keep it up!
'02 DR-Z 400S - for sale soon
'06 TE 610 - sold
bpeterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 08:45 PM   #48
Wombat Boy
We All Going to Die!

Oddometer: 43
Just got back from The Black Rock Desert and Gerlach. Nice ride and I will someday get to the Steen Mountains.

Great Post

Now on a '06 BMW 1200 GS, the Hodaka Wombat is in a Box(s), yep I took it apart and do not have time to put it back together.

"Air and water is free, we don't make a charge for that; now gas and oil...that's a whole other proposition. Gas is 12 cents a ding."

Gomer Pyle
Wombat Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 07:44 AM   #49
larryboy OP
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,661
Nice to have you all along...you too MissFender.

Plenty more video, carnage, Black Rock again later. I really had wanted to get into Arizona, but things happen and that didn't.

Morning day four.

My plan was to be up early and get on the trail to beat the heat. I was up at 4am, but my head hurt really bad so I took some Tylenol and went back to bed. Thankfully this was the last headache of the trip, I was dialed in to the altitude from here on.

I headed out of town. I met Charles and Tim up by the dunes, they're running the same route heading north like me. I didn't really want to ride with them, but I thought it would be cool if we leap frogged at the gates...we could trade back and forth opening gates for each other. It's a big deal when you're by yourself, you have to get off to open all of the gates...if you have a pardner you only do half of them. Their track showed to go back to the main road, but mine showed to go up thru the dunes for awhile. See you boys in a bit!!!

I saw the guys at a gate and hollered that I'd get the next one as I rolled thru. I wanted to get some action shots and waited for them on a nice little ledgey downhill section.

I waited...

and waited...

and waited some more...

I waited for most of an hour...maybe they got a flat or took a break? That's why I ride alone...no waiting, no worrying.

So I moved on...I went the wrong way and didn't care, the trail started to loop back to the south so I turned around and found the right trail.

I was checking out this old cabin,

when Charles came along.

By himself...uh oh...

Old 09-28-2009, 04:02 PM   #50
larryboy OP
Paint it black.

Turns out that Tim had cased his DRZ pretty good. Charles asked if I had any JBweld...I do, but tell me what it looks like before I give it to you. Creased and leaking? No, missing chunk. JBweld ain't gonna help...let's talk recovery...the guys had been dropped off by their girls and the girls were headed back to Seattle on their own trip in the truck. Charles had already found that he had cell reception and had called them to come meet him...where at? I asked...Riley he said. What kind of truck? 2wd Tundra. Riley won't do any good, send them to Christmas Valley...I don't think the Tundra can make it up the steps to get to the bike. Charles went with my thinking...it's a difficult thing to think about going back and getting into recovery mode...the trip is over and that sucks big time. Let's make it as easy as possible on everybody involved. It's going to take most of the day to get the bike out...maybe not even today.

I continue towards Riley, being extra careful as I'm alone again. I won't see another motorcycle on the trail until Montana.

Old 09-28-2009, 04:23 PM   #51
MoBill
Smiles when says dat

Oddometer: 13,381
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy
it's a difficult thing to think about going back and getting into recovery mode...the trip is over and that sucks big time. Let's make it as easy as possible on everybody involved.
Truth, sage wisdom.

Hardest thing for me that right there.

"Accept".
------------------------------------------

Ride on chaka khan!
MoBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 04:27 PM   #52
larryboy OP
Paint it black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoBill
Truth, sage wisdom.

Hardest thing for me that right there.

"Accept".
------------------------------------------

Ride on chaka khan!

If only I would follow my own advice later in the trip...
Old 09-28-2009, 04:32 PM   #53
larryboy OP
Paint it black.

I made it to Riley on the proper trail. The last time I rode thru here it was muddy and I got lost...that was a rough day. Today was fun!!!

I was really excited to ride the section from Riley to Seneca as I didn't get to do it last time. There had been a major fire that I had to go around. It was pretty hot today, but I was feeling good and making great time.

I found a few old markers from the attempted trail system that the greenies got removed.

I got to a gate that I couldn't open by myself. The leverage stick was broken off.

I scrounged around and found some wire to make a repair.

It was really hot, so I dumped my gear in the shade and rolled the bike thru the gate for a break.

Two of the green ones, please!!

I saw a waypoint coming up that was marked 'Baby's Grave'...all of a sudden I felt a flood of emotion and something came to me in my head. I pulled over quickly and wrote it down.

Old 09-28-2009, 04:34 PM   #54
larryboy OP
Paint it black.

"If I had to bury my baby"

It would be someplace like here
In the fresh mountain air

On a day much like this
It is she I would miss
I would lay her down
In her finest gown
I would build a picket fence
Hope that one day it'd all make sense

As I ride away

To a land near the bay

I will keep her in my heart
and, One day we will never part

~Me~

Old 09-28-2009, 04:52 PM   #55
D.T.
One wheel wonder...

Oddometer: 9,474
Thumb

Nice!

Seem you like to ride alone. Sometimes it's good, sometimes it's bad. You have to ride a bit more thoughtfully. I rode some single track this last Saturday and I was about 2.5 miles in the middle of a 5 mile singletrack. If I would have broke the bike out there, I would have been F'd. Esp just after a group of 4 went the other way.
D.T. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 10:40 AM   #56
Fast1
Twisted Throttle

Oddometer: 1,808
riding your draft! picture to picture
11 Husqvarna TE630- sold
08 Husqvarna TE510- sold
Fast1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 10:46 AM   #57
Buffalo Bill
kickthetire.litethefire

Oddometer: 997
Thumb

"A Smokin Hole is a cheap price to pay for a Bitchin Manuever" .....Martin Pargee

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=370704

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=477438

Buffalo Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 03:24 PM   #58
MissFenderFine
Now Offically De-n00bed!

Oddometer: 1,260
YOU are very poetic! It is a gift to be able to put your emotions into words like that...who knew?

Thanks for sharing, Rob.

Sometimes I'm here...sometimes I'm not.
MissFenderFine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 04:28 PM   #59
larryboy OP
Paint it black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissFenderFine
YOU are very poetic! It is a gift to be able to put your emotions into words like that...who knew?

Thanks for sharing, Rob.

Thank you, Linda!!

Yeah D.T., traveling/riding alone works best for me. I can ride 16 hours a day when I want or lay in the dirt and take a nap...it's up to me. There is no way that I could have ridden this trip with another rider..there just wasn't enough time for two personalities. For what I had planned I needed to average 330 miles per day for 24 days straight.

Old 09-29-2009, 05:26 PM   #60
MonkeyC
DRZ400XT225XT250

Oddometer: 61
Paths cross

Hey Larryboy,

Its me, Charles. Thought I'd check in and see how your ride went. Great write up and nice pics!

Thanks for the tip re: going back to Xmas Valley. We crawled in with a local's old pickup and picked up Tim. Its rough out there for 4 wheelers. I take the speed of a bike for granted. Anyway, here's a link to photos and captions covering our [short] trip for anyone interested:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/5551666...7622131823325/

Good meeting you, LB

c