Put my mind at ease - Alpha ignition can

Discussion in 'Old's Cool' started by nowhereman, Sep 24, 2009.

1. nowhereman

nowhereman I'm lost -don't follow me

Oddometer:
    So -

I got to thinking about my timing on the R100GS - see my previous post on a related topic here:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10831580&postcount=24

Anyhoo - I went out and rode around and things didn't feel right - engine felt weird, pinged a bit, etc.

I checked the timing again - at idle, the S is centered in the window. At full advance, the Z was far enough up in the window that the line below the Z was in the top 1/3rd of the window.

So - I reset my timing, focusing on the full advance instead of idle. I've now set the full advance (3000-ish rpm) to show the Z centered in the window. However - now the idle timing mark shows 'OT' centered in the window.

SO.... wtf? should I worry about this or what? Is there any possible way to set the timing such that the S mark shows at idle and the Z mark shows at full advance? I don't want to break the damn bike, but I don't know what to do now.

Some info - stock motor, pump gas - standard (not premium high octane stuff), enduralast kit, alpha bean can, etc.
  2. Airhead Wrangler

Airhead Wrangler Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    According to Rick, the Alpha ignition has a larger advance at full advance, so it should go past the full advance timing mark if adhering to Rick's design intent. The one I tested months and months ago had a different advance curve, but my bike ran great with it. Maybe you should give Rick a call and tell him that you're pinging at full advance and see what he says.
  3. nowhereman

nowhereman I'm lost -don't follow me

Oddometer:
    Called rick - He said to just center the Z and forget about the idle timing. That as long as it will idle and start, not to worry. I agree, seems way more important to make the engine happy where it spends most of its time (above 3500 rpm).

Also - those of you who have the alpha - Rick has a new black box for the ignition can. New one is dated 09/09 on it - has fixed the stumble when cold between 1500 and 2000 rpm, as well as matched the ignition curve to the stock curve. He's sending me one for free. Call him up if you have the old box - he'll fix you up.