Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-25-2009, 08:42 AM   #1
5Chord OP
No Short-Term Memory

Oddometer: 1,016
MX School Part IV with improved video and first crash!

I had gotten a gotten early start today and got to Englishtown NJ an hour early for my lesson with Rich Schmidt of Motovation MX School. This is going to be my 4th lesson with Rich and contrary to the weather report it's a fabulous day!
Attached Images

Old 09-25-2009, 08:44 AM   #2
5Chord OP
No Short-Term Memory

Here's my proud sponsor and bike transporter!
Attached Images

Old 09-25-2009, 08:47 AM   #3
5Chord OP
No Short-Term Memory

Uh Oh! I forgot my gear bag! No, jersey, elbow guards, gloves or chest protector! Jeeze.....At least I had pants and boots....I also didn't have a change of pants either
Attached Images

Old 09-25-2009, 08:50 AM   #4
5Chord OP
No Short-Term Memory

I could see Rich giving a lesson off in the distance....What do I do now? Well, I guess I'll just have to hope Rich has some gear for me......I unload my Lil' Red Beastie......
Attached Images

Old 09-25-2009, 08:54 AM   #5
5Chord OP
No Short-Term Memory

I have nearly an hour until my lesson....Not enough time to get gear, but quite a bit of time..It's starting to get hot and I figure I'll do some body position laps around the trash cans.....After all, I'm not sure I'll be able to ride the track without proper gear
Attached Images

Old 09-25-2009, 09:08 AM   #6
5Chord OP
No Short-Term Memory

I did about 20 laps, took a water break and did 20 more....it was HOT...Rich came off the track with his student and I was very impressed at the riders ability. I asked Rich if he was part of his racing team and he told me he was just a regular student. He told me he's a C rider. Wow, I was shocked. I was probably a year or more away from his ability if I was to actively pursue MX racing..............Anyway, I confessed to Rich that I left my gear bag home, but it was no problem! He had gloves and a jersey which was all I probably was going to wear anyway....I inspired rich to use a digital video cam from my last report.

Rich told to start doing body positioning laps and he would be right over....I didn't even know I was being taped on this one.... He used a Gopro helmet cam for a few vids starting with this one:

5Chord screwed with this post 09-25-2009 at 10:24 AM
5Chord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 09:22 AM   #7
5Chord OP
No Short-Term Memory

After another 15 laps or so, we went over to the expert practice track. There are 3 at Englishtown: Expert, Intermediate and Pee Wee.

Without me realizing it, Rich had been breaking up the track portion of the lessons so I would eventually learn the track in it's entirety. We would practice small loops of track portions and and then bring them together at the end. By the end of the day, (after 4 lessons), I will have learned more than half the track. You simply have to learn it before you can go fast. hopefully my ability to learn a track will speed up as well
In this video, (Rich is using my Flip video) I attack (in slow motion)a jump into a left hander over a table and into a right hander and off the track and loop again.....

5Chord screwed with this post 09-25-2009 at 09:40 AM
Old 09-25-2009, 09:24 AM   #8
5Chord OP
No Short-Term Memory

Same loop, I'm not getting up on the seat enough in the turns and I'm definitely still too scared to lean the bike over in the berm on the right hander...

Old 09-25-2009, 09:29 AM   #9
5Chord OP
No Short-Term Memory

I'm sorta getting it right here...I'm still have trouble with gear selection..

Old 09-25-2009, 09:39 AM   #10
5Chord OP
No Short-Term Memory

We take a well needed water break.....Almost an entire bottle goes over my head.....I seem more tired than usual but I try and shake it off....It was a LOT hotter my first lesson. Now we extend the loop to include a jump, left hander........

Old 09-25-2009, 09:49 AM   #11
5Chord OP
No Short-Term Memory

He now has me taking the first jump in 4th and downshifting twice going into the left hander...I'm having alot of trouble downshifting by accident when sitting down in a turn...Also, I'm locking up the back brake......The bike's starting to act up now too.....It has a very high idle...It sort of like cruise control....without the control part...

Old 09-25-2009, 09:54 AM   #12
5Chord OP
No Short-Term Memory

I'm still having trouble downshifting but I'm starting to feel more comfortable...

Old 09-25-2009, 10:00 AM   #13
5Chord OP
No Short-Term Memory

Saving The Best For Last!

I can't tell you how many times we did those loops, but I had 22 videos and some had as many as 3 loops so I was fading bad.....I'm not real sure what happened here, but it looks like the bike hit the powerband hard coming out of the left hander and augered in......I was not injured at all in this video and the bike was fine....(except for the dangerous high idle)......We took a well needed break right after...

Old 09-25-2009, 10:07 AM   #14
5Chord OP
No Short-Term Memory

I downed another water but was still very dehydrated....I wouldn't know how bad until later that night......I had severe muscle cramps over most of my body....perhaps the worst I ever had.....I actually started in my hands driving on the way home

LESSON LEARNED! I will get a CASE of Vitamin water and drink at least two BEFORE class. I don't ever want to experience that again.

I look bad in this picture, but there was another (that one I wouldn't post)that looked like I was ready to die!
Attached Images

Old 09-25-2009, 10:19 AM   #15
5Chord OP
No Short-Term Memory

The bike is going in the shop to correct the high idle (Crankcase intake leak?) and the front fork seals re-done, so I'll likely have to cancel next weeks lesson.

This session was the first that I'm starting to notice my bike is a bit small and my hamper my progress. I sense Rich feels the same way as he has offered me his CR250R to try twice. He swears by them and so do most riders. He tells me the power delivery is very predictable and he can easily run the whole track in 3rd gear on his factory racer.

The main cause of my apprehension is the seat height of the 250. It's at least 36" and probably bigger. I want to make sure I have the foundations down before moving up to something I need a ladder to mount, but as I gain some awareness of the sport, I realize I need something larger to learn the sport properly...........
Attached Images

5Chord screwed with this post 10-01-2009 at 07:19 AM