User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-25-2009, 07:57 PM   #1
mr_ed OP
Toolbag

Oddometer: 148
NC to Idaho and back...after a fashion

So about 8 months ago I decided to travel from Elizabeth City North Carolina where I’m stationed to northern Idaho where I’m from . At first I was going to do it in a diesel Dodge Ram but that’s just dumb. The mighty Cummins would make it but that POS truck that Chrysler built (for SHAME) sure as shit wouldn’t. So then I was going to do it in my VW diesel-fired Suzuki Samurai. But that project is slow…and that’s has multiple meanings. It’s a work in progress and it’s a non-turbo diesel.

Anyhoo I said well shit I’ll fly, but then I’ll be stuck up there just relying on friends and such for getting around (I was taking 34 days of leave).

What about riding a bike? All the dudes and dudettes on Advrider do it! But my 92 Vulcan 88 with the antique metal tractor seat and ape bars would not suffice. Not cuz of the ape bars and tractor seat but because it runs like shit right now.

So I bought an ‘08 V-Strom 650 back in March and started outfitting it for a cross-country-and-back trek. This consisted of welding some 40mm ammo cans to the sides, bought a $17 gel ATV seat pad from Walmart, and on the tail rack I stuck some gay orange pelican case that I spray-painted black so I would feel better about myself. And I lived that Miller High Life. Whatever.

Of course, since I belong to a military service whose motto is “Semper Paratus,” my personal life is in a constant state of “Numquam Paratus” so the night before I left this was the extent of my preparations:

This took me about 30 minutes. I got bored, popped a beer, and started looking for the end of the internet.

The rest of the shit was frantically thrown together at the last minute in the rain the next morning. If you’re familiar with the author Patrick McManus, then you’ll understand.

My plan was to take lots of pics, including a pic of every stateline sign I passed, but once I started riding that whole plan went out the window, especially the signs, so if you’re looking for material for a State line calendar, all I got was W. VA, CO, and ID. Here’s W. VA:

I wanted to camp most of the time, but that was hard at first. I got to the Blue Ridge Parkway around midnight, and the only campground I could find was closed, so I set up alongside the road somewhere. Damn 5.0 ran me off; something about not being able to just sleep anywhere, bums, and whatnot. So I ended up in a motel. Oh well there’s plenty of places further west that would be free of such nitpicky nonsense.

Here’s somewhere in Indiana…er…Illinois…er…Missouri…one of them:

In Missouri I had the closest call of the whole trip. The weather had been shitty all through the Midwest, lots of rain. Well I’m tooling along, thinking of God, the future, and Bridget The Midget, and I see another thunderhead coming up. Oh well I’ll keep going I got raingear. I drive into the rain and it’s immediately waaaaaaaaay more then I’d been through yet. I couldn’t see 20 feet in front of me, and I was doing 65. There weren’t nobody behind me so I threw on the air and got it down to about 30, when a crosswind hit me. I have no idea how fast it was going but it was enough to blow me sideways across 2 lanes of interstate. I was able to stop it on the shoulder right before the ditch, but it was raining and blowing so hard I didn’t want to stay there, so I shut the bike off, laid it on it’s side (it was blowing to hard for side or center stands) and clambered over to the other side of the ditch. Once it lightened up I kept going. Glad the rain hit first though, that cross wind was making 18 wheeler trailers drift out from behind their tractors!

Stopped to visit friends in Kansas, than headed for Colorado. Ran into another storm about 100 miles short of Colorado. Common sense said to cowboy up and keep riding, but my testicles said “are you a fucking idiot pull the fuck over and wait it out for christ’s sake” so being a manly man I listened to my balls and holed up in an underpass.

Old 09-25-2009, 07:58 PM   #2
mr_ed OP
Toolbag

This, as it turned out, was Colorado:

About 1130 at night and 80 miles from Denver, I developed a flat rear tire due to a puncture. While I was plugging it on the side of I-70, a Yamaha touring bike with a gent on board by the name of Maverick pulled up to lend assistance, and the godsend of his LED forehead lamp (lesson learned; I too have one of these now). After plugging the bitch and pumping it up with the little Slime compressor I was off again (many thanks Maverick! If you ever find yourself in Elizabeth City get ahold of me we got you a warm bed, cold beer, and a mangy mutt who’ll want to sleep with you).

In Denver I swang by Woody’s Wheel Works and had some Heidenau K60s put on the bike. The computer says “swang” is not a word, but I think it sounds pimp. Anyway, the K60s are AWESOME, and I don’t mind the whine cuz I like mud tire noise. While I was waiting on the tires I ran into a gent the name of Matt, who is an inmate here called Schmatt. He was getting some new rubbers on his F650 Dakar’s rims, so while we waited he gave me a ride to the Breakfast King. Many thanks Schmatt!!

Colorado, along HWY 285 towards Fairplay:

And on up Mosquito Pass:

I love finding old machinery still holding out against Mother Natures worst:

Old 09-25-2009, 08:00 PM   #3
mr_ed OP
Toolbag

The above picture is where I turned around. I made it about halfway up the road in the background, but with the Wee’s high gearing and low ground clearance, and my own lack of experience with a bike off-road, I was smelling clutch and bashing the living shit out of the bash plate, so rather than break down in the middle of Colorado, I turned around and went on down 285 to Old Monarch Pass (don’t worry Mosquito, I’ll be back).

Atlantic Ocean is that way…

Pacific Ocean is that way…

Old 09-25-2009, 08:05 PM   #4
mr_ed OP
Toolbag

That night I stopped about 20 miles west of Gunnisen CO and set up camp on a game reserve. Met an old feller named Roy who was bailing hay for the Colorado Fish and Game to feed the elk over the winter. He let me set up the tent out behind his equipment, and shared some beer and comraderie with me. He had lotsa cool stories about Mopars.

The next day I headed into Utah. Was wanting to go through Moab and Arches Nat’l Park, but I was trying to make Idaho before Sunday so I could go backpacking with my buddy, so I headed on up Hwy 6 and then I-15, and the next day I cut over to Twin Falls Idaho.

At this point I gonna say that stretch of Idaho between Twin Falls and the Sawtooths around Sun Valley has got to be the most godforsaken stretch I went through on that trip. Nothing but sage brush and lava rock boulders. Which is cool! I mean that kind of desolation is primordially beautiful. And hot, it was like 120 degrees. Also, Mammoth Cave is kickass, and the museum they have has some cool critters in it:

They also have the things that nightmares are made of. I mean, can you imagine running into this thing in the murky gloom of a river? Sharks teeth aint got shit on this guy! Look at them things! Two rows on top, one row on the bottom, and shitloads of little ones just scattered around at random! 7 feet long and weighed 170 something pounds! Freshwater fish are fantastic!!

On the way to Stanley Idaho:

Old 09-25-2009, 08:07 PM   #5
mr_ed OP
Toolbag

After Stanley, I headed up over the mountains towards Warm Lake and Cascade.

Fun road…

…but watch them inside curves!

Old 09-25-2009, 08:09 PM   #6
mr_ed OP
Toolbag

Stayed with friends in Kamiah ID, then headed to Lewiston, then Rathdrum and a glorious backpacking trip.

Got to Rathdrum and met up with my buddy Matt and his dad. I know this isn’t motorcycle related, but I figure I’d share some of the pics cuz they're righteous. I’d tell ya where we went but I’m afraid I’d have to kill ya ;)

Matt hangin out where the cool kids do

I also like to think that I’m a cool kid

Old 09-25-2009, 08:11 PM   #7
mr_ed OP
Toolbag

Our destination:

Destination reached:

We worked for 40 minutes to get this rock up there, but the 4 seconds were worth it!

An AWESOME house with an AWESOME view in Montana on the way to Yellowstone:

Old 09-25-2009, 08:13 PM   #8
mr_ed OP
Toolbag

The obligatory Yellowstone bison shot:

I felt Yellowstone was overrated. Yes it’s beautiful and unique, but all the people made it sucky. Every time a critter wandered too close to the road, everybody stopped (nobody pulled over, they simply STOPPED) and took pics through their windshields. I figured it’s cuz they’re afraid of the critter, but then I see everybody taking pics through their windshields of this:

…and I realize that they aren’t scared, they’re just LAZY! YOU DROVE YOUR STUPID CAR THOUSANDS OF MILES AND SPENT THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS TO BRING YOUR FAMILY TO ONE OF THE MOST AMAZING PLACES ON THIS CONTINENT SO YOU CAN TAKE THE PICTURES THROUGH A BUG-SPATTERED WINDSHIELD!?!?!????????

I spend the next 5 hours trying to get out of Yellowstone’s east entrance, stuck behind RVs wheezing over the pass. I F**CKING HATE OLD FARTS IN RV’s WHO CREEP OVER MOUNTAIN PASSES, BLISSFULLY IGNORING THE “SLOW VEHICLE LANES” AS THEY LOOK WITH A GLAZED STARE AT THE STUNNING VIEWS OF THE OPEN ROAD THAT ARE POURING THROUGH THEIR MASSIVE WINDSCREENS, WHILE A MILE-AND-A-HALF OF TRAFFIC SQUINTS THROUGH A DIESEL HAZE AT THE BACK OF…WELL…A F**CKING BUILDING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway, I saw these neat old planes in Wyoming somewhere. Being an aircraft mechanic, I had to stop and paparazzi:

On the way up Granite Pass. Granite was cold and quite a fun ride. It’s a crying shame they are redoing most of the road on the eastern side…getting rid of the curvies and making a Roman road L

Old 09-25-2009, 08:16 PM   #9
mr_ed OP
Toolbag

I stopped in Bellevue Iowa to visit my aunt and cousins. This was the only bit of maintenance I had to do to the bike (besides an oil change in Idaho). The chain was a tad loose.

That was about it for pics. I just suck at stopping to get pics. I’d rather ride I guess. Anyhow, I left with 5900 on the odometer, and there was 13,593 when I got back, and I still spent less money on gas then I’d have spent on an airline ticket. And that little V-Strom treated me a hell of a lot better then any airline would have!

Cheers, and watch out for white horses in snowstorms.

Ed
Old 09-25-2009, 08:22 PM   #10
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,365
Looks like a good ride, especially the Colorado part! thanks for the report and pics
Old 10-02-2009, 12:25 PM   #11
Gramp-Z
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 774
Nice RR , been considering a wee strom . Anybody who has been on a long ride across the plains a few times has hit some of those little "thunder bumpers" , amazing how bad they can get , and how fast . Been blown across a lane or two several times , gets the heart rate right up there , real quick . Smart move on the rough section in the mountains , not worth the risk ! Was over granite pass in my RV , pulling car on dolley a couple years ago . Was dreaming of riding bike the whole time , driving motorhome was full time job . Thanks for the work on the RR , nice pictures . Hope you can do some more RRs . Haven't been on anything interesting enough to do a report on for quite awhile . Dreaming of Prudoe Bay in the next year or two . BTW , you are the same age as my son , but he doesn't ride , dang .Keep safe in the military , and thanks for that too .
Gramp-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 01:35 PM   #12
pyrate
Walking the plank

Oddometer: 1,161
Pretty cool RR. Can you do us a favor and use a different text color. Sort of hard to read on the dark grey background. I'd hate for anyone to give up on your post because of that.

Thanks for sharing the pictures.

pyrate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 05:48 AM   #13
mr_ed OP
Toolbag

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrate
Pretty cool RR. Can you do us a favor and use a different text color. Sort of hard to read on the dark grey background. I'd hate for anyone to give up on your post because of that.

Thanks for sharing the pictures.
Yeah I been meaning to change that. I copied and pasted from MS Word and forgot to change the color.
Old 10-04-2009, 06:38 AM   #14
Cigar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 444
Excellent
Cigar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 08:25 AM   #15
Crusier Dude
pavement inspecter

Oddometer: 300
Hi Mr. Ed.

Nice trip you took and really appreciate the pictures. I am also from Norther Idaho. Coeur d' Alene born and raised.

I also have a 650 Wee and I am running TKC 80's for tires. I like them but as everyone knows they wear fast.

Can you tell me more about the tires you are running. I like the tread look and was wondering how they wore for you on the trip.

Also, I know you said you would have to KILL if you told us where you went back packing to BUT justa GENERAL idea would be nice. I have spent alot of time up in the mountain North of Pend Oreille lake and your pictures look like they could be from that area. Am I any where close to guessing where you were????

Take care and Thanks again for sharing your Adventure with us.

Les STUCK in Boise.
Crusier Dude is offline   Reply With Quote