User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2009, 10:11 AM   #1
T0mW OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
Gerbing G3 or T5 ?

Time for heated gloves, just trying to decide which ones I want. I tried the Gerbing Classics, but they were too bulky for me.

I have heard good reviews of the G3's, but as I went to the Gerbing website, I saw the new T5's.

How thin are the T5's compared to the G3's ?
How well do they heat ?
Comparisons of the two ?
T0mW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 09:37 PM   #2
12voltclothing
Banned

Oddometer: 130
Also take a look at Warm & Safe's Ultimate glove, Very thin, waterproof liner. Carbon fiber protection.

The Classic glove is also a superb glove. Light weight and warm!!
12voltclothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 03:06 AM   #3
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,930
I tried on the T5's yesterday. Very nice glove, but, little to no impact protection. You don't even feel the microwire, which is really cool. They had a sample wire out with a battery controlled switch. It heats up in seconds! Beware, sizing is way off on them. I wear a L or XL in most gloves. I'd be a small in the T5
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 08:48 PM   #4
T0mW OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I guess the only way I can tell is to find a dealer who handles gerbing (& warm n safe) and try them all on.

I wear an 8 M in Helds, so I guess I would have to try on a kiddie size in the T5's

I just want a pair of heated gloves that will protect if needed, and not be bulky, and fit my hands, Is that too much to ask ?
Old 10-04-2009, 12:23 PM   #5
T0mW OP
Gnarly Adventurer

How dit th T5's feel compared to a "regular" pair of gloves ? Are they bulky ?
Old 10-04-2009, 03:43 PM   #6
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,930
Quote:
Originally Posted by T0mW
They weren't so bad. Kinda felt like a very light winter glove. There is definitely some bulk, and, they are long, with a big gauntlet, but, not necessarily a wide gauntlet, so, keep that in mind. There's a few pads here and there, but, very little protection. Very comfortable for a winter glove, but, they ARE a winter glove. The new Microwire is very thin. You can almost feel it in the jackets, but, you can't feel it at all in the gloves. The microwire heats up instantly, if that's important.
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 03:55 PM   #7
roger123
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,487
I had the G3's and they just seemed too tight in the fingers. I had the XL and tried an XXL and they were ginormous!!

I exchanged them for the Classics (XL) and have been very happy.
roger123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 07:43 PM   #8
T0mW OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I have skinny hands with long fingers, so I don't think the "tight fingers" pf the G3's would be that much of a problem.
I have an old pair of Orina's, and they seem too bulky for me, plus they don't keep my fingertips warm. The Gerbing Classsics seemed bulky, and the connection to the jacket liner was very awkward, they did manage to keep my fingers warm on the few times I wore them.
Decisions, Decisions
Old 10-04-2009, 07:53 PM   #9
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 12,987
Quote:
I have skinny hands with long fingers, so I don't think the "tight fingers" pf the G3's would be that much of a problem.
I have an old pair of Orina's, and they seem too bulky for me, plus they don't keep my fingertips warm. The Gerbing Classsics seemed bulky, and the connection to the jacket liner was very awkward, they did manage to keep my fingers warm on the few times I wore them.
Decisions, Decisions
I think they're all pretty much going to connect to your jacket the same way. Since I do this twice a day for both hands in the winter, here's a quick way to get them on.

Right glove, hold the glove connector with your right hand and plug the jacket connector in with your left. Now it can dangle like a ski glove. Put it on, and repeat with the left.

I always tuck the glove connectors into my liner cuff before I put my Darien on. That way I don't have to fish down the arm of my Darien to find the plug. It's right there tucked into my cuff.

It's a system.
Where the fuck is the road?
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 07:29 PM   #10
fiep
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,921
Quote:
just got a pair T5s
will return them
they are stupid bulky, more a ski glove than anything else
insulated not only on the back but in the palm, big fat insulation
the fingers are cut straight
so with all the insulation I could not even hold my handlebars or make a fist
they run big, normally I wear L the S is big enough, once the insulation gives they would be too big
my problem are long, slender fingers
the S is barely long enough, except for the pinky, that is waaaay looong
anyone here have a pinky that is as long as their index finger?
and even with all the bulky insulation the fingers are wide,
same problem I have with my old Warm Gear gloves, once I grip the bars the glove is too far from the skin in the back of my fingers to transfer any warmth, the warm up my fingers I need to straighten and press them against the levers - perfect for riding, right?
1st thing the T5s did was scratch the back of my hand bloody, with a senseless zipper inside the gauntlet, it pulls open toward the fingertips hence the pully flipps 'up' and exposes the little hook that serves as a stopper which then hooks into your skin as you push your hand down into the glove - great, really did appreciate that

do I sound disappointed?
I AM
I expected the T5 to be a halfway thought out motorcycle glove, not a ski glove with an edge, a sharp edge
fiep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 10:07 AM   #11
T0mW OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I ordered a pair of T5's last week. They came the other day, and I dont like them. I agree with fiep about the zipper & they are bulky. I didnt try them to see how warm they got, because I could tell that I would not like them for riding, so what would be the sense. Mine are going back, and getting traded in on a pair of G3's
Old 10-11-2009, 08:31 PM   #12
MLS2GO
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
Funny how people see the same thing so differently

I tried both the G3 and the T5 this weekend at the Falling Leaf Rally and immediately knew I wanted the T5. Much easier to grip than the G3 as there are artiulations in the hands. I do not find them bulky at all. As a matter of fact I can use my Garmin 478 while wearing them something I could not do with the old style Gerbings. Rode home with them on from Potosi to KC in weather in the 40's and loved them.
If the zipper scratched you, you must be putting them inside your coat. They have no effect on me as I put them over my Darien.
As always YMMV and obviously it has. I guess that's why they make the choices.
MLS2GO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 10:17 PM   #13
Jolly Roger
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 581
I purchased a pair of T5's yesterday in Seattle and rode with them back to Vancouver, BC. The gloves do fit large . . . I usually take a large or XL but a medium T5 fit me. Even the medium is a little loose but the small was too tight. Overall, I found the gloves to be very comfortable and VERY warm. During my trip back to Vancouver, the temp dipped to 1.5 C (just above freezing) and my hands were kept lovely and warm. I had the heat controller set to about medium and it was enough to keep my hands warm and comfortable the whole trip. Increasing the heat above the medium mark on the controller made my hands too hot, although its good to know there is some additional heat to be had if the temperature drops. I had no trouble riding my bike with the gloves and could still easily work all of the controls, switch gear, etc. I could also work the iPod remote control that I have on my handlebars and the buttons on that are pretty small! If you are used to riding in thin, summer gloves, the T5's will take a bit of getting used to. However, after my trip home last night in cold weather, I have nothing but good things to say about these gloves. The gloves keep your entire hand warm, unlike heated grips which only seem to warm up your palms. Would I recommend these gloves? Absolutely!!!
Jolly Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 04:54 PM   #14
T0mW OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Well, I decided to try the T5's anyway, just to see how they were for riding. They are about the same as my Orino's in bulkiness, but they were definitely warmer.
Since I only have a single controller, I could not get the gloves very warm without cooking myself with my jacket liner.
With my hand bent around the grips, the back of my fingers did not get nearly as much warmth as when I straightened my fingers out. Neither did my finger tips, but warmer than "un-heated" gloves.
I do not know how much warmer they would have been, had I been able to turn them up, but without a dual controller, I was unable to turn them up any more than 1/3 of the way.
The zipper on the inside still sucks. Not that it bothers me when the gloves are on, but when I slide my hands into the gloves I have to be careful about the zipper.
They seemed to loosen up some after riding around with them for a few hours, so they dont seem as bulky as when I first put them on.
Guess I will have to try them for a few hundred more miles.
Old 10-24-2009, 09:03 AM   #15
NJ Moto
Running Free

Oddometer: 7,400
After years of putting it off I finally got some heated gear. I bought Gerbing's heated jacket liner, the recommended G3 gloves and a dual heat controller. Hooked it up last night and it felt good in the garage. I'll know more on tomorrow mornings ride.

How well do the heat controllers hold up in the rain??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuKeu...feature=relmfu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYqF_BtIwAU
"Can we get a party to finally represent us?" - Cenk Uygur
NJ Moto is offline   Reply With Quote