Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2009, 11:56 PM   #61
rikki tikki tavi
mongoose is gone

Oddometer: 256
I only mentioned that because I got mine in '86, and have seen too many 'crack pilots' get theirs and advance to left seat on some commuter (why? because they ARE a 'crack pilot')...still talking to themselves and considering them and the aircraft a "team"!

It is a lot of work and dedication to task to obtain your rating, and as you well know, flying is unforgiving, so I hope this young lady stays well grounded on her Sportster!
Old 11-26-2009, 06:59 AM   #62
Trophy Mike OP
w/extreme prejudice

Oddometer: 793
Quote:
Originally Posted by donstrom6
...I hope this young lady stays well grounded on her Sportster!
Unfortunately we're talking about a 1584cc Dyna Street Glide.
trophycycleapparel.com - America's #1 Non-REV'IT! Dealer - Rukka Gear Discussion/FAQ
Trophy Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 08:35 AM   #63
AviatorTroy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,537
Commuters

The pilots that think of themselves as a "team" with the airplanes feel that way because they fly an RJ into JFK or ORD for 6 legs a day and have all the frequencies and approach minima memorized, always let the autopilot fly and never, ever uncouple the flight director or, have to fly a traffic pattern. The airplane is doing everything for them every day with no thought involved. If they had to land a Gulfstream at some non towered 5000 foot runway someplace, it would be the equivalent of our Harley girl here riding a sportbike.
AviatorTroy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 06:37 PM   #64
hitchface
I don't fit in.

Oddometer: 686
^^Agreed.

What to say that hasn't been said already?

Oh yeah. Someone smack the salesman who allowed her to buy that bike.
hitchface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 02:13 PM   #65
RangeRidn
WildMonkey

Oddometer: 25
Been following this for a while. My .02...9,000 miles and still talking like this...she's got no clue. Good on her for trying, choice of bike appears to be ridiculous for her and there appears to be a huge gap in her confidence level and reality. Apparently she's (just) mastered getting into and out of her driveway without dropping the bike in front of the neighbors but she has no problems taking it on 401, 407, 400, 404 with (way too much) traffic easily averaging 120kph ???
RangeRidn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 02:46 PM   #66
haithabu
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 827
That's why she rides in groups. Safety in numbers.
haithabu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 08:46 AM   #67
Trophy Mike OP
w/extreme prejudice

Would be interesting to hear more women riders' take on this. The few responses thus far seem to giving our Harley Ryder more than just a pass.
trophycycleapparel.com - America's #1 Non-REV'IT! Dealer - Rukka Gear Discussion/FAQ
Old 11-28-2009, 09:12 AM   #68
Pedro Navaja
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trophy Mike
Would be interesting to hear more women riders' take on this. The few responses thus far seem to giving our Harley Ryder more than just a pass.
No it wouldn't, they would just gang up on you for "picking" on her.

As for the fat chick's support group, that's no different than what we see here when some of our own attention whores start posting drivel and some guy responds with a "huh?"

This is why I have volunteered to become the official Pudendum Inspector at the next ADVrider Latin America Riders' Rally

Pedro Navaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 01:54 PM   #69
RiDR
The Himalayan what?

Oddometer: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro Navaja
that's no different than what we see here when some of our own attention whores start posting drivel and some guy responds with a "huh?"
huh?
RiDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 03:22 PM   #70
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,423
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitchface
Oh yeah. Someone smack the salesman who allowed her to buy that bike.
Did you not see her picture? She needs a big bike to hall her around.
Old 11-28-2009, 03:59 PM   #71
SilkMoneyLove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,746
Well

She did more miles than I did this year, but I didn't drop my bike at all ;-)

IMO - People that blog about themselves are completely self-centered and not that interesting. People that read blogs about self-centered, uninteresting people are even less interesting...and seriously...I would say posting on another forum to flame her was bad form...except that they banned you, so they (her included) brought it on themselves. Flame on.

I do have to admit that I couldn't read her posts. The writing is just awful. Other than that, move along, nothing to see here.
SilkMoneyLove is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 04:29 PM   #72
Pedro Navaja
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkMoneyLove
...IMO - People that blog about themselves are completely self-centered and not that interesting...
That might include those of us who do ride reports, since that is actually a blog of sorts! Check out this blog from Hank . All the way down to TDF. Very interesting, and I have personal testimonials this guy is pretty cool.

Old 11-29-2009, 06:27 AM   #73
Trophy Mike OP
w/extreme prejudice

While there was some kidding here (sort of hard to avoid given the material) full out flaming was not the intention. The Harley Ryder posts represent the skill level and mindset of a large segment that dangerously rides among us. The next step asks if they were a friend, spouse or part of a riding group how would you deal with them other than keeping your distance ample?
Old 11-29-2009, 06:32 AM   #74
Pedro Navaja
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
While there was some kidding here (sort of hard to avoid given the material) full out flaming was not the intention. The Harley Ryder posts represent the skill level and mindset of a large segment that dangerously rides among us. The next step asks if they were a friend, spouse or part of a riding group how would you deal with them other than keeping ample distance?
My opinions:

1. The bike is too big for the chick. Just because she is fat, that doesn't mean she can handle a Fat Boy, Fat Bob, or whatever bike.

2. She needs to drop pounds. She needs a smaller bike.

3. She needs to get the soap opera out of her head.

4. She needs to focus on the technical aspects of riding and not the SOCIAL aspects of riding, as it appears to me she rides with the pirate crowd to the local hangout on Sundays to profile, then does a group ride, and then returns to Tortuga after the ride. Learning to ride properly isn't going to happen when you are trying to fit into a group. Nor I do I believe you can learn anything on a group ride.

5. Mileage don't mean squat. Anybody can put a bike on the Interstate and point straight ahead. I know guys who have been on Harleys. Gold Wings, etc., for 20 years and are still intimidated by turning left, or turning from a standing stop, etc.

6. She needs drills and schooling at low speeds and on a smaller bike.

And you are correct, there are a lot of riders like her out there, male and female.

Old 11-29-2009, 09:05 AM   #75
Gitana
A work in progress

Oddometer: 6,728
Quote:
Man, you guys are really tough on fat chicks. I assume that all of you are ripped to shreds, have a full head of hair, good teeth and belong in the pages of GQ, right?

Setting aside the flamefest, I'd be scared to ride anywhere near her. I'm not going to read her entire blog, but I'll bet it doesn't mention Dave Hough's book, "Proficient Motorcycling" anywhere. My bet is she didn't do drills in empty parking lots, practicing tight turns, U-turns and fast stops. But then again, neither do a lot of other people on motorcycles. Proficiency matters to some, not to others. There are plenty of squids on fast bikes who ride just as poorly but haven't written or spoken openly of their travails. I give her credit for trying. Her writing style makes me cringe.

What I don't like is her, or any other unprepared rider, endangering others because they don't know how to ride. I think you have an obligation to learn good skills, to practice, to seek out good riders and learn from them, to read as much as you can on accidents and what caused them, and to develop the confidence to keep safe. What scares me is how many people get on a bike and do none of those things.
2008 WR250R | 2008 DL650
Gitana is offline   Reply With Quote