Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2009, 02:19 PM   #91
Trophy Mike OP
w/extreme prejudice

Oddometer: 795
By popular demand Harley Ryder and her crew.
trophycycleapparel.com - America's #1 Non-REV'IT! Dealer - Rukka Gear Discussion/FAQ

Trophy Mike screwed with this post 12-05-2010 at 08:36 AM
Trophy Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 03:20 PM   #92
haithabu
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 827
Yeah, I would definitely recommend the lowering kit.
haithabu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 03:48 PM   #93
danny4744
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 405
Lifestyle marketing at its worst, someone get this woman a buell blast.
danny4744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 04:38 PM   #94
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,832
Quote:
Originally Posted by haithabu
To be fair to Harleyryder she appears to be quite safety conscious from reading her blog. She did the PLP when she began and took the MS course when it was suggested to her after a few weeks riding. She is certainly aware of the risks:
I guess she isn't concious enough to realize that they only have time to teach theory and drills in most rider courses. Whether or not one practices the material in a closed area (until proficient enough to not be a rolling danger on public roads) is up to the individual.

The main question remains...Why buy a bike (especially a FIRST bike) that you have no hope of handling safely?
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 04:41 PM   #95
haithabu
Studly Adventurer

Well, if she's made it this far she probably can handle it safely.
Old 11-30-2009, 06:59 PM   #96
RangeRidn
WildMonkey

Oddometer: 25
Quote:
Well, if she's made it this far she probably can handle it safely.
Sure...apparently she's so nervous about starting out again from a full stop that she has taken to slowing down and rolling through those "big red signs" and she has to remind herself that she's supposed to come to a complete stop...
RangeRidn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 07:25 PM   #97
Gitana
A work in progress

Oddometer: 6,924
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trophy Mike
To answer your inquiry some of us do have good hair, teeth and rips. Consequently, we're not well liked.
Pictures?
2008 WR250R | 2008 DL650
Gitana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 05:55 AM   #98
Trophy Mike OP
w/extreme prejudice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitana
Pictures?
Oh, alright.
trophycycleapparel.com - America's #1 Non-REV'IT! Dealer - Rukka Gear Discussion/FAQ

Trophy Mike screwed with this post 12-05-2010 at 08:33 AM
Old 12-01-2009, 08:14 AM   #99
xcgates
Whaaa?

Oddometer: 1,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangeRidn
Sure...apparently she's so nervous about starting out again from a full stop that she has taken to slowing down and rolling through those "big red signs" and she has to remind herself that she's supposed to come to a complete stop...
I don't see that as a problem. Starting from a stop is the hardest part when learning how to use a clutch.

Especially when I was starting out in a stick shift car, I frequently rolled through stop signs, and I still do (bike and car) slow down early for a red light so I can just keep rolling in first gear, or put the clutch in and not come to a complete stop.

Not exactly a big deal for me any more, but if I don't need to come to a complete stop, I'll just keep rolling. Especially in winter in my car.

Home is where the skid lid sits.
xcgates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 08:15 AM   #100
STROMVADER
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongCliff
It's not the gender! I have a problem with novice riders on huge machines. She is clearly way over her head with that bike, and I wouldn't want to be riding my bike anywhere within a 1 mile radius of her.
YUPPER! You don't need an M endorsement to buy a bike. Too many punk ass kids buy rockets and rip around in baseball caps and tapout shirts with no time under thier belt. Fucking turds that endanger everyone around them. She needs a smaller bike or a trike and spellcheck. Kudos to her for trying.
STROMVADER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 08:23 AM   #101
STROMVADER
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,100
I think riding dirt bikes prior to street riding makes a big difference. you eat shit a lot when learning in the dirt. It is more forgiving. I rode dirt for 11 years prior to riding street.....LEGALLY. I guess wide open rips on pavement w/ a YZ 250 isn't considered road practice. It did sharpen my evasion skills!
STROMVADER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 09:03 AM   #102
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,832
Quote:
Originally Posted by STROMVADER
YUPPER! You don't need an M endorsement to buy a bike. Too many punk ass kids buy rockets and rip around in baseball caps and tapout shirts with no time under thier belt.
A lot of those people don't even have a license. Besides...The M license test, in this state at least, is a joke. You don't even have to do an emergency swerve for the test anymore. Most people still don't even take the test on even a mid-class standard or anything. There are places around that rent 250 Nighthawks just for people to take their test on. Then they go out and ride their 1000cc-plus behemoth sportbike or cruiser, without any other practice, tests, or training.

Starting out from a stop, or parking, is difficult? You need more practice. I do it on bikes and in stickshift vehicles that aren't mine all the time. I spend a minute or so getting used to the clutch friction zone and other controls AWAY from a public road, and then I'm good to go. Starting from a complete stop, uphill, while turning, is almost a no-brainer...and I'm no professional wunderkind or anything.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 09:15 AM   #103
haithabu
Studly Adventurer

All of Harleyriders' posts were uploaded to her blog within a few minutes of each other on June 23. So it is basically a historical record of her learning experience up to that time.
Old 12-01-2009, 10:30 AM   #104
roadhamr
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro Navaja
Oh, and BTW, her physicality absolutely does have everything to do with her situation, and might even be the whole problem. Try this for starters Jethro (as in Bodine):

1. Slower reflex time from brain to muscle.
2. Slower reaction time from muscle to action/execution.
3. Less mental confidence from being fat (this actually effects women more than men, since men tend give-a-shit less about being a lard-ass).
4. Typically the more overweight, the weaker the abs and lower back. Which is muy importante for riding as it is the core of the body.

Now contrast that with a rider chick like nicomama. No Harley, works out, no soap-opera in the head, rides dirt and street, rides solo, self-sufficient, etc. Comprende?

Now YFF go tell Immigration to hurry and get over here to deport my ass. Finally, a way to quit paying all these fucking taxes and start smoking Cuban cigars again legally. Don't come to Costa Rica, we have long memories
holy cow dude! let it go! trophy never refered to the woman as fat that was dakez. he was the one who constantly brought up that she is a large woman. yeah you are right about reactions but mike is saying lets not prey on her because of her physical deficiencies but instead let us discuss how so many new riders are buying these large heavy poor handling touring bikes for their first bikes.
you keep making statements in espanish and so he jokingly said he would have you deported. i thought it was funny. dont be a hockey puck just enjoy!

i love costa rica and wish i was there again now!

2000 valkyrie interstate
roadhamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 10:31 AM   #105
Trophy Mike OP
w/extreme prejudice

Quote:
All of Harleyriders' posts were uploaded to her blog within a few minutes of each other on June 23. So it is basically a historical record of her learning experience up to that time.
Not quite. Have added dates to the Harley Ryder posts here which are only the tip of the 'berg. 61 posts and counting from April 15 - Nov 24 with no apparent secession in sight. View its entirety on http://www.cmcforum.ca. You may have to join the club first. Just don't dare have an opinion.