ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2014, 08:34 AM   #1
simbaboy OP
Lansing MBS

Oddometer: 755
Moab Spring 2015

Hello Friends,

I and a couple of my buddies will be in Moab.

Dates: Saturday April 4th 2015--Friday April 10th
White Rim Trail--planned for Tuesday April 7th 2015.

We hope to meet you in Moab for meals and drinks and general BSing.

Simba

simbaboy screwed with this post 12-11-2014 at 07:20 PM
simbaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 09:40 AM   #2
Geolander
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 476
Is the group predominately big bikes or enduros?

I wanna do white rim soo bad and I didn't get out to Moab at all this year.

Maybe a few musketeers might have interest in going a day early and riding the Kokopelli in?
Geolander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 10:07 AM   #3
simbaboy OP
Lansing MBS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geolander View Post
Is the group predominately big bikes or enduros?

I wanna do white rim soo bad and I didn't get out to Moab at all this year.

Maybe a few musketeers might have interest in going a day early and riding the Kokopelli in?
Yes to Kokopelli as a couple of 'Inners' are planning on it.

All sorts of bikes welcome. Each rider will determine what trail(s) he or she wants to tackle. In Spring 2014 we had a TW200 for some of the rides and we had a KTM 950 kicking some ass as well.

I will hopefully be bringing my new to me DR650SE. Its less of a pig than my KLR650 but still a pig. I stick to the easy rides like WRT and avoid stuff like Poison Spider. There will be lots of opportunities for everybody to try their bikes on different trails and members to assist each other.

Thanks,
Simba

some of the bikes that were there in Spring 2014.
Old 11-19-2014, 10:09 AM   #4
Geolander
Gnarly Adventurer

Cool, so probably minimal highway riding? I'm trail geared on a 450 close ratio. I'm only good for about 55 MPH.
Old 11-19-2014, 10:28 AM   #5
simbaboy OP
Lansing MBS

Quote:
Cool, so probably minimal highway riding? I'm trail geared on a 450 close ratio. I'm only good for about 55 MPH.
Minimal highway riding---the extremely paved scenic routes have a speed limit of 55MPH so you will be fine. The WRT requires a fuel range of about 150 Miles.

On the trails you will shine. But at the end of the day we are never rushed, frequent breaks and picture taking, lots of BSing, people enjoying the ride and scenery and camaraderie, etc. Some of the guys rushed the rides in Spring 2014 and have decided to take their time and enjoy the rides more this time.

Thanks
Simba
Old 11-19-2014, 10:29 AM   #6
vraesch
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Re: 2015 Moab

Last year we only did minimal road riding, the longest (for me) being the ride from Moab to Canyonlands NP to ride the WRT (I think it was about 25-30miles). My KTM 500 is geared such that 55mph is about as fast as I want to go also and that is about as long as I can stand pavement.
vraesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 10:34 AM   #7
modette
RMAR

Oddometer: 4,330
To let you know your times will be during Easter Jeep Safari so expect thousands of Jeeps on the trails, then us RMAR gang with 100 riders will be out the 15th to 19th for our own huge bash.

Just giving you a heads up. Expect LOT's of people. Please give to 'Ride with Respect' while you are there they are the ones that make those trails happen for you.
modette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 10:40 AM   #8
simbaboy OP
Lansing MBS

Hello Vaughan,
I hope you are fairing better In Atlanta area.
Its snowing here.
Simba

Old 11-19-2014, 10:41 AM   #9
Geolander
Gnarly Adventurer

I'm down to plop down and camp wherever. I'm all about the journey, forget the destination.

Depending on the type of riding I do I get about +/- 140 miles to a tank. I've been looking into grabbing a couple 1 liter fuel containers to add to the setup for rides like WRT and Kokopelli.

I was supposed to ride the Kokopelli on my bicycle last spring and then I got the flu two weeks before going and lost almost 15 pounds (which is a lot when you regularly weigh 140) So it was a no go, then I was supposed to do it after my season ended at the park in October. Didn't foresee a baby in my future though. Had a lot of work to do around the house for the baby's arrival.

She's due here in about 5 weeks.
Old 11-19-2014, 10:46 AM   #10
Geolander
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by modette View Post
To let you know your times will be during Easter Jeep Safari so expect thousands of Jeeps on the trails, then us RMAR gang with 100 riders will be out the 15th to 19th for our own huge bash.

Just giving you a heads up. Expect LOT's of people. Please give to 'Ride with Respect' while you are there they are the ones that make those trails happen for you.
Hmm.. Yeah the EJS really beats the shit out of the trails. I had the misfortune of going to Moab the week after EJS 2013 in my Jeep.. Never again.

Any chances of pulling the date back by about a week?

I almost love 4 wheeling as much as I love motorcycling but the Jeep crowd seems to get worse and worse every year... Hot tempers and bad manners.
Old 11-19-2014, 10:50 AM   #11
modette
RMAR

Oddometer: 4,330
Quote:
Hmm.. Yeah the EJS really beats the shit out of the trails. I had the misfortune of going to Moab the week after EJS 2013 in my Jeep.. Never again.

I almost love 4 wheeling as much as I love motorcycling but the Jeep crowd seems to get worse and worse every year... Hot tempers and bad manners.
It's not them beating on the trails as that makes it nice and challenging. To me it's the line you see of 50 Jeeps waiting to get onto a trail. I don't even see how they find it fun to wait just to get to the obstacle.

White Wash area is always fun, so is Goblin Valley area where 5MoH is (don't have to do 5MoH though), lots of cool mines to see out there.
modette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 10:55 AM   #12
Geolander
Gnarly Adventurer

Well, six of one, a half dozen of the other. They eat out all the sand in front of ledges spinning their tires and either leave the massive hole they left, or the next guy with smaller tires leaves his damn rock stack...

I'm all about technical, but those trails are a mess after EJS.
Old 11-19-2014, 11:12 AM   #13
simbaboy OP
Lansing MBS

Quote:

Unfortunately, my dates are fairly firm.
The trails that I and others have ridden on after the Jeepsters have left have not been too bad on motorbikes. The Weather(temps/rain) has been more determinative as to what trails we ride any given day.
Simba
Old 11-19-2014, 11:35 AM   #14
vraesch
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Moab 2015

As far as fuel is concerned. I have a 3 gal tank on my KTM 500. I took a 1 gal gas can in a large baggie in my pack (I know not the best idea) for the road portion of the ride on the WRT, then dumped it into my tank at the start of the trail at Mineral Springs. Actually had more gas than the tank would hold at that point so I distributed it amongst anyone else that wanted a little more fuel. I put the empty gas can back in my pack after swishing it out with a bit of water. If I were to ride the WRT starting at Mineral Springs, I would wait until I reached the top of the switchbacks before dumping the gas can into my tank. TO be honest my friend Brooks also brought along 2 1 liter fuel bottles which we dumped mid-way thru the trip, but I don't really think they were necessary.

EJS dates are officially 3/28 - 4/5 so this group will only be catching the end of this event. I will be in Moab starting around April 28th - thru mid to late April so I can do some of EJS as well (I have a Jeep that I drag behind my motorhome) and will be staying at Spanish Trails RV park south of town.

For those considering going and have been there before, think about what rides you might like to do in addition to the WRT and if you would like to lead a ride. Also please give some idea about the difficulty/pace you'd like to ride.
vraesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 11:39 AM   #15
Geolander
Gnarly Adventurer

Eye of the whale through Arches National Park is a good one.

Super scenic, gets you to some great arches, picture opportunities, and hiking trails.