ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2012, 07:33 AM   #8161
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 30,791
New iBelt for iPhone

Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 08:10 AM   #8162
doc_ricketts
Thumper jockey

Oddometer: 5,133
Quote:
Originally Posted by grub View Post
There were times when I probably should have been wearing a helmet then as well

I stopped by the local shop on may home tonight and they had some AFX helmets for list in my size, they seem to fit my melon pretty well and I was happy with the last one so I will pick one up tomorrow when they don't have a wad of people all wanting help in the last 15 minutes of the day.
Yeah, I bought an AFX not so much because it was cheap, but because it fit my head better than others. The visor is pretty distorted, but otherwise I like it.
Old 06-01-2012, 08:14 AM   #8163
James Adams
Misplaced

Oddometer: 9,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc_ricketts View Post
Yeah, I bought an AFX not so much because it was cheap, but because it fit my head better than others. The visor is pretty distorted, but otherwise I like it.
I've heard the same about the visors, but I have an AFX tinted visor (since the Fly Trekker tinted visors were unavailable at the time) on my Fly Trekker and there doesn't seem to be any distortion; their production quality may have improved.
Old 06-01-2012, 09:08 AM   #8164
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,667
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc_ricketts View Post
I took my FX-39 for some serious offroad riding and didn't care for it. It's great for dualsport riding like the last Dinosaur ride....even then the visor was a dust magnet and needed cleaning too often.
With the visor down it got toasty too, and there's only three positions - closed, open, and right in your way

For actual rugged offroad riding I still prefer my HJC dirt helmet with goggles.
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 11:26 AM   #8165
James Adams
Misplaced

Oddometer: 9,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebird View Post
I took my FX-39 for some serious offroad riding and didn't care for it. It's great for dualsport riding like the last Dinosaur ride....even then the visor was a dust magnet and needed cleaning too often.
With the visor down it got toasty too, and there's only three positions - closed, open, and right in your way

For actual rugged offroad riding I still prefer my HJC dirt helmet with goggles.
I wear goggles with my FX-39/Trekker and use the dark smoke shield for shade. The visor is hinged such that it can be fully closed even when I'm wearing goggles.
Old 06-01-2012, 08:51 PM   #8166
grub
Requires Supervision

Oddometer: 2,184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebird View Post
With the visor down it got toasty too, and there's only three positions - closed, open, and right in your way For actual rugged offroad riding I still prefer my HJC dirt helmet with goggles.
I've never read a truer statement about the visor, but I figured out if you pop the covers off the hinges you can tighten it up to the point that it won't slip down. I still ride with sunglasses instead of goggles because I will fog up goggles in the middle of the day in July. I do know that the visor is worth it's weight in gold when the hail starts coming down
Old 06-02-2012, 08:01 AM   #8167
doc_ricketts
Thumper jockey

Oddometer: 5,133
Thunder Valley today. Would like to watch a little of it, but won't pay the prices. Got too much to do also.
Old 06-02-2012, 02:34 PM   #8168
MeterPig
Meh

Oddometer: 17,090
This seemed like a good idea. A ride to Costco to pick up some storage boxes.

On the way back, I saw lighting hit the ground in Parker and at the point, I cared not about a ticket. It was full throttle home

This is what the clouds looked like.

Yeah, I saw the clouds on the way to costco...but said "oh, I will beat them home".
Old 06-02-2012, 03:14 PM   #8169
grub
Requires Supervision

Oddometer: 2,184
I hate lightning...
Old 06-02-2012, 04:27 PM   #8170
Joz
What could go wrong?

Oddometer: 1,841
This morning did not suck:

The snow, hail, rain and severe thunderstorms this afternoon weren't great but I was still having a good time!

"Get on with living or get on with dying" Paul Rodden 71 years old
[SIZE=2]
Joz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 04:30 PM   #8171
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 30,791
The mine @ the top of Argentine off Guanella?
Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 05:06 PM   #8172
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,667
I had every intention of doing the Medano boondoggle today, but it wasn't in the cards. Woke up at 2:30am....3:30am....4:30... just one big ache head to toe. I finally got up at 7:30 and creaked around a bit until I felt half human. No idea what it was, just left me tired and achey all day.
I never felt 100% but did feel like a ride, so I went up over Kenosha to have a peek at the cornice

Late breakfast at the Evergreen Cafe in BV...and when I went outside, the skies over the Collegiate Peaks were dark indeed. Lightning here and there, lots of rain coming down....

Monarch looked like it was getting hammered big time, and I thought of Dan's group and where they might be.
Stopped in Salida - being the FMF weekend I felt it was required to buy a Fattee's t-shirt .

Stopped and yakked with Duke a bit, and when I got back on the road, the storm had moved along and was now covering US50.
Don't think I've seen it rain harder here than it did between Canon City and Penrose - it was flat coming down.
Pretty much from Cotopaxi all the way back home (US50, 115, hwy 83) it rained. Lightning was popping down along 83 as I got close to Franktown.
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 06:01 PM   #8173
MeterPig
Meh

Oddometer: 17,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by grub View Post
I hate lightning...

It scared me pretty good.
Old 06-02-2012, 07:37 PM   #8174
Gitana
A work in progress

Oddometer: 7,159
We had planned to go over Cottonwood to explore Taylor Park, Tincup and Pitkin. The lightning changed that. Glad you made it home safely, Meterpig.
2008 WR250R | 2008 DL650
Gitana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 07:48 PM   #8175
SnowMule
[angry moth noises]

Oddometer: 18,328