ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2012, 10:25 AM   #8656
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 8,634
Broken 4x4s, should you help?

We came across a broken 4x4 yesterday in the middle of the road. I'm starting to think it might have been a mistake to stop and offer help.

His shift linkages (manual tranny) had come undone. He seems to have no idea of what to do, and no tools with him.

First things first, I suggest we coast him backwards down the hill to a pull out. The guy was either really shaken, a bad driver, or both. He proceeded to run his jeep further off the road, right into a dead tree. I pulled out the chainsaw and removed the tree. He then proceeded to drag his brakes all the way down the hill so that he didn't make it all the way off the side of the road. When we got him pushed far enough that traffic could get around, I decided enough was enough and we rode on.

So.... What would you do? In the future, I'll probably only stop if they are requesting help. Folks that enter the backcountry on poorly maintained equipment with no idea how to fix it can become a black hole, sucking up your saddle time.

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 10:35 AM   #8657
doc_ricketts
Thumper jockey

Oddometer: 4,666
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellSickle View Post
We came across a broken 4x4 yesterday in the middle of the road. I'm starting to think it might have been a mistake to stop and offer help.

His shift linkages (manual tranny) had come undone. He seems to have no idea of what to do, and no tools with him.

First things first, I suggest we coast him backwards down the hill to a pull out. The guy was either really shaken, a bad driver, or both. He proceeded to run his jeep further off the road, right into a dead tree. I pulled out the chainsaw and removed the tree. He then proceeded to drag his brakes all the way down the hill so that he didn't make it all the way off the side of the road. When we got him pushed far enough that traffic could get around, I decided enough was enough and we rode on.

So.... What would you do? In the future, I'll probably only stop if they are requesting help. Folks that enter the backcountry on poorly maintained equipment with no idea how to fix it can become a black hole, sucking up your saddle time.
I think you did exactly right. I would have done same on all three issues. The other possibility was to counsel and use cell phone to call his friends.
Old 07-15-2012, 05:03 PM   #8658
_CJ
Retrogrouch

Oddometer: 1,331
Quote:

I might help push, or get a guy unstuck, or call for help, but there's not a chance I'm working on somebody's POS 4x4 instead of riding.
MTB since 1991, Full-Rigid Steel 1x8
_CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 07:40 PM   #8659
grub
Requires Supervision

Oddometer: 2,168
Two notes from today:

Rode about 45 miles of trails in the Rio Grande and was never as happy to see muddy, slimy, wet slippery roots in all my life. Three cheers for the monsoons

Yesterday I drove to Pueblo and bought a TTR 90 for little Ray, my 7 year old son who had outgrown his PW50 in skill and size. Last night when we got home he gave it a little gas and it squirted out from under him while he did the "hang on for dear life with legs flailing out behind him with the throttle pinned and the bike peeling out on his goods" routine while I yelled LET GOOOOOOOO!!! He scared the hell out of himself and wanted to quit for the night. Tonight I told him it was time to try again and he got all geared up and was sitting on the running bike and told me that he didn't want to do it but he wanted to do it at the same time. I told him to take his time and when he was ready to give it a little gas and get going enough to pick his feet up for a little while then just put his feet down and stop. He did this a few times then all of a sudden picked his feet up rode to the end of the road (about a quarter mile) turned around and rode back all by himself. He was jazzed, and I don't think I have ever been as proud or excited about anything in my entire life.

It was a great day!

PS - I recorded about 8 GB of video with my new GoPro and it looks great, now I just need to figure out how to turn 1.5 hours of video into 10 minutes
Old 07-15-2012, 08:04 PM   #8660
burque magoo
master of disaster....

Oddometer: 5,024
Awesome, Pat!

the little bugger is kickin' ass....

burque magoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 08:12 PM   #8661
MeterPig
Meh

Oddometer: 17,090
I got through on and stopped here. The only relative pain of putting on HDB bars.

Old 07-15-2012, 08:51 PM   #8662
Tha Rick
Shake and bake!

Oddometer: 5,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeterPig View Post
I got through on and stopped here. The only relative pain of putting on HDB bars.

Howdy Mr Meterpig,

I just tapped my bar ends, don't use grease...use air to blow out the chips from the other end(this case air from the clutch side). And a little bending of the guards to make sure everything lines up just right.

But when you are done, those things are AWESOME! I had a bit of a stumble today and they did not move, as others would. Picked it up, and rode away, no readjusting to give freeplay to the throttle, etc..

Rick

It's not about tha bike nor tha ride; it's about tha adventure in life we all seek. Great memories are made of taking tha trail less traveled and explored.
Tha Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 09:14 PM   #8663
Tha Rick
Shake and bake!

Quote:

Folks that enter the backcountry on poorly maintained equipment with no idea how to fix it can become a black hole, sucking up your saddle time.

Yep..Good on ya for getting the guy out of the way. It's an awakening to some that there is not "exit button" like the video games in real life. Like not being prepared to deal with situations like you mentioned.

It's not about tha bike nor tha ride; it's about tha adventure in life we all seek. Great memories are made of taking tha trail less traveled and explored.
Old 07-16-2012, 06:35 AM   #8664
toddler
Unpronouncible

Oddometer: 2,686
Quote:
Originally Posted by grub View Post

*****Proud father dribble deleted*****

It was a great day!

PS - I recorded about 8 GB of video with my new GoPro and it looks great, now I just need to figure out how to turn 1.5 hours of video into 10 minutes
Just use this method

toddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:26 AM   #8665
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 8,634
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha Rick View Post
Folks that enter the backcountry on poorly maintained equipment with no idea how to fix it can become a black hole, sucking up your saddle time.

Yep..Good on ya for getting the guy out of the way. It's an awakening to some that there is not "exit button" like the video games in real life. Like not being prepared to deal with situations like you mentioned.
Riding Left Hand this spring, I came across a 1 mile long trail of pink oil followed by a SUV full of kids wondering why their rig stopped working.

Speaking of, the fire and shooting ban at Left Hand has made it a tolerable place to visit. It seems that 99% of the bubbas just go there to shoot & burn stuff.

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:50 AM   #8666
TheDudeAbides
Sarcasm free11/11/10

Oddometer: 7,844
Quote:
Speaking of, the fire and shooting ban at Left Hand has made it a tolerable place to visit. It seems that 99% of the bubbas just go there to shoot & burn stuff.

2001 BMW F650 GS Dakar (Stolen!)
2004 DRZE
2004 BMW 1150 GSA
TheDudeAbides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 10:18 AM   #8667
thump_co
..ouch

Oddometer: 1,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddler View Post
Just use this method
Nice. I haven't seen an episode of Alvin & The Chipmunks since I was little.

Few spots look like a couple guys might have had a little too much fun at OB before riding.

AMA | COHVCO | Stay The Trail | BRC | TPA | BCTR | NCTR

thump_co screwed with this post 07-16-2012 at 10:30 AM
thump_co is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 11:02 AM   #8668
Tha Rick
Shake and bake!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thump_co View Post
Nice. I haven't seen an episode of Alvin & The Chipmunks since I was little.

Few spots look like a couple guys might have had a little too much fun at OB before riding.
The guy's were saying- I thought Rick had two, so I ordered another. I just nursed mine for a long time knowing that I would be outshined later that night.

Old 07-16-2012, 11:40 AM   #8669
MeterPig
Meh

Oddometer: 17,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha Rick View Post
Howdy Mr Meterpig,

I just tapped my bar ends, don't use grease...use air to blow out the chips from the other end(this case air from the clutch side). And a little bending of the guards to make sure everything lines up just right.

But when you are done, those things are AWESOME! I had a bit of a stumble today and they did not move, as others would. Picked it up, and rode away, no readjusting to give freeplay to the throttle, etc..

Rick
Hi Rick,
This is my second bike the HDB guards will be installed upon. The first was my KTM 300 which I removed prior to sale. Now I am installing them on my DR650. It seems that my Fly bars are actually have a slightly smaller inner diameter than my Renthals on the KTM..but I could be wrong. What do know is that it did not take a long bar attached to a box end wrench to make the cuts.

I know one can buy pre-tapped bars from Mr. Paul but I really like these Fly Bars which have a very high bend somewhere inbetween risers and KX high bend or whatever it's called.

Either way, soon the DR will be immune from bar bending/fork twisting. Many folks point to the durability and what not but like you, I enjoy being able to auger the bars into the ground and then just pop up and keep moving.
Old 07-16-2012, 11:55 AM   #8670
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 29,835
When I tossed the 500 arse over teakettle the other night the handguards/bars never so much as budged.

While I was in the process of trying to stop my body... I looked at the bike and it was upside down on the guards balanced.. I thought it was going to stay that way for a second

Geek is offline   Reply With Quote