ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2012, 12:01 PM   #8671
StmbtDave
AKA Invisible Dave

Oddometer: 2,827
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
I tell Paul that it's "product testing and quality control"
Old 07-16-2012, 12:04 PM   #8672
thump_co
..ouch

Oddometer: 1,929
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha Rick View Post
The guy's were saying- I thought Rick had two, so I ordered another. I just nursed mine for a long time knowing that I would be outshined later that night.
I've learned to start watching for these tricks you experienced dirtbike guys play.

Last week at Donner I get hung up going up the gut on one of the loose rock climbs and am working my ass off trying to rock my bike free.. next thing I know Ben comes zipping past me, barely breaking a sweat, using some switchbacks you guys evidentially cut in a few years back on the sides. Riding smart > riding hard.

AMA | COHVCO | Stay The Trail | BRC | TPA | BCTR | NCTR
thump_co is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 12:20 PM   #8673
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 8,513
Quote:
Originally Posted by thump_co View Post
I've learned to start watching for these tricks you experienced dirtbike guys play.

Last week at Donner I get hung up going up the gut on one of the loose rock climbs and am working my ass off trying to rock my bike free.. next thing I know Ben comes zipping past me, barely breaking a sweat, using some switchbacks you guys evidentially cut in a few years back on the sides. Riding smart > riding hard.
We keep blocking off that awful hill and curbing the entrance to the switchbacks, but bubbas on ATVs keep removing the piles we put in place. Since we're not allowed to cut any standing trees, I keep hoping for a big blow-down to block that hill.

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 12:33 PM   #8674
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellSickle View Post
We keep blocking off that awful hill and curbing the entrance to the switchbacks, but bubbas on ATVs keep removing the piles we put in place. Since we're not allowed to cut any standing trees, I keep hoping for a big blow-down to block that hill.
Which hill are you talking about?
602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 02:02 PM   #8675
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by 602 View Post
Which hill are you talking about?
Coming up Donner from the Crystal/Sheep Creek side. After passing thru the meadow, you climb ~1/4 mile. Just after you pass a house sized rock on your left, there is a long rubble hill in front of you. Just up from the base of the hill is a single track to the left that leads into several switch backs up the mountain.

Old 07-16-2012, 02:21 PM   #8676
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 371
Not trying to start a conflct here but....Im not sure that bubbas on atv's need to be the source of your frustration. A better built and more permanent feature might stop people from removing the the downed trees. I personally have just wheelied over them and continued my way up the hill. I am not a fan of the switchbacks, nor is anyone else that I have asked.
602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 02:31 PM   #8677
Gitana
A work in progress

Oddometer: 6,748
2008 WR250R | 2008 DL650
Gitana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 02:36 PM   #8678
Tha Rick
Shake and bake!

Oddometer: 5,047
Switchback's are kinda fun once you get enough practice on them. They are just tight turn's with some incline/decline.

I saw someone ENDO pretty hard last Thursday on one, but it was due to a flat tire that rolled on him...There may even be some pic's of some scratched up HDB guards somewhere.

He simply rode away, without any adjustment of guard's, controls, maybe he did adjust his elbow pad.

It's not about tha bike nor tha ride; it's about tha adventure in life we all seek. Great memories are made of taking tha trail less traveled and explored.

Tha Rick screwed with this post 07-16-2012 at 09:57 PM
Tha Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:55 PM   #8679
thump_co
..ouch

Hellsickle - I'm assuming you're talking about the downed trees at 12s in the below? If so, I think I'm with 602 on this. I'd be all for installing a bigger filter feature and marking the switchback better, but I'd like to see the up-the-gut option remain "open". It provides some nice challenge. I'm blaming my slip-up the previous week on the rain.

Old 07-17-2012, 07:13 AM   #8680
bmon
Go Thattaway

Oddometer: 88
bmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 03:33 PM   #8681
UncleDirt
Uncivil to idiots.

Oddometer: 11,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeterPig View Post
I got through on and stopped here. The only relative pain of putting on HDB bars.

That's a nice vice there buddy.

Looks like you are doing it right too. I love the guards on the KLR, useful for putting those ten dollar ATV winter mitts on.
UncleDirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 04:34 PM   #8682
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by 602 View Post
Not trying to start a conflct here but....Im not sure that bubbas on atv's need to be the source of your frustration. A better built and more permanent feature might stop people from removing the the downed trees. I personally have just wheelied over them and continued my way up the hill. I am not a fan of the switchbacks, nor is anyone else that I have asked.
YMMV. I guess some folks like braided up erosive qwad tracks with water running down them in the spring, and others like a sustainable 8" TST where your bars are brushing the trees. NTTAWWT. I've seen more than one fried clutch or boiling gas tank when less experienced riders try to tackle that hill when wet.

Thump, nice job on the hill. Next time, see if you can do it without dabbing. I've only managed that a couple of times.

Old 07-17-2012, 04:43 PM   #8683
MeterPig
Meh

Oddometer: 17,095
Quote:
How so the ATV's get in there?
Old 07-17-2012, 04:44 PM   #8684
MeterPig
Meh

Oddometer: 17,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleDirt View Post
That's a nice vice there buddy.

Looks like you are doing it right too. I love the guards on the KLR, useful for putting those ten dollar ATV winter mitts on.
I got the other side done last night. Cheater bar and PB blaster. The ID of the bar is quite thick. Me thinks it is due to cheaper quality steel compared to renthals.

I am thinking of filling the bar with sand for dampening.
Old 07-17-2012, 05:22 PM   #8685
thump_co
..ouch

Quote:
YMMV. I guess some folks like braided up erosive qwad tracks with water running down them in the spring, and others like a sustainable 8" TST where your bars are brushing the trees. NTTAWWT. I've seen more than one fried clutch or boiling gas tank when less experienced riders try to tackle that hill when wet.

Thump, nice job on the hill. Next time, see if you can do it without dabbing. I've only managed that a couple of times.
Where is this dab you speak of? I hung the foot out there for insurance a few times, but don't recall if it got planted. Can't say I was really paying attention to it though, I was more focused on not letting Matt know he was pulling on me. Now I'll have to go back out with that in mind. Buy me a beer if I can keep my lazy ass standing the entire time as a bonus?