ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-16-2012, 12:01 PM   #8671
StmbtDave
AKA Invisible Dave
 
StmbtDave's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Loveland, CO summer - Green Valley, AZ winter
Oddometer: 2,827
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
I tell Paul that it's "product testing and quality control"
__________________
Why are we stopping? We don't have time for that!
StmbtDave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 12:04 PM   #8672
thump_co
..ouch
 
thump_co's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: 8532'
Oddometer: 1,929
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha Rick View Post
The guy's were saying- I thought Rick had two, so I ordered another. I just nursed mine for a long time knowing that I would be outshined later that night.
I've learned to start watching for these tricks you experienced dirtbike guys play.

Last week at Donner I get hung up going up the gut on one of the loose rock climbs and am working my ass off trying to rock my bike free.. next thing I know Ben comes zipping past me, barely breaking a sweat, using some switchbacks you guys evidentially cut in a few years back on the sides. Riding smart > riding hard.
__________________
Ride

AMA | COHVCO | Stay The Trail | BRC | TPA | BCTR | NCTR
thump_co is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 12:20 PM   #8673
HellSickle
Scone Rider
 
HellSickle's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: Fort Collins
Oddometer: 8,513
Quote:
Originally Posted by thump_co View Post
I've learned to start watching for these tricks you experienced dirtbike guys play.

Last week at Donner I get hung up going up the gut on one of the loose rock climbs and am working my ass off trying to rock my bike free.. next thing I know Ben comes zipping past me, barely breaking a sweat, using some switchbacks you guys evidentially cut in a few years back on the sides. Riding smart > riding hard.
We keep blocking off that awful hill and curbing the entrance to the switchbacks, but bubbas on ATVs keep removing the piles we put in place. Since we're not allowed to cut any standing trees, I keep hoping for a big blow-down to block that hill.
__________________
We don't stop riding because we get old, we get old because we stop riding.
"Wisdom is knowing what to do next, Skill is knowing how to do it, and Virtue is doing it"

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 12:33 PM   #8674
602
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Oddometer: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellSickle View Post
We keep blocking off that awful hill and curbing the entrance to the switchbacks, but bubbas on ATVs keep removing the piles we put in place. Since we're not allowed to cut any standing trees, I keep hoping for a big blow-down to block that hill.
Which hill are you talking about?
602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 02:02 PM   #8675
HellSickle
Scone Rider
 
HellSickle's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: Fort Collins
Oddometer: 8,513
Quote:
Originally Posted by 602 View Post
Which hill are you talking about?
Coming up Donner from the Crystal/Sheep Creek side. After passing thru the meadow, you climb ~1/4 mile. Just after you pass a house sized rock on your left, there is a long rubble hill in front of you. Just up from the base of the hill is a single track to the left that leads into several switch backs up the mountain.
__________________
We don't stop riding because we get old, we get old because we stop riding.
"Wisdom is knowing what to do next, Skill is knowing how to do it, and Virtue is doing it"

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 02:21 PM   #8676
602
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Oddometer: 371
Not trying to start a conflct here but....Im not sure that bubbas on atv's need to be the source of your frustration. A better built and more permanent feature might stop people from removing the the downed trees. I personally have just wheelied over them and continued my way up the hill. I am not a fan of the switchbacks, nor is anyone else that I have asked.
602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 02:31 PM   #8677
Gitana
A work in progress
 
Gitana's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Where the Rockies Meet the Prairie
Oddometer: 6,748
__________________
Anne
“Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes.” - William Gibson
"Don't be afraid to be open-minded. Your brain isn't going to fall out." - Unknown
2008 WR250R | 2008 DL650
Gitana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 02:36 PM   #8678
Tha Rick
Shake and bake!
 
Tha Rick's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Tha North Springs, Co(Banned camp rehab)
Oddometer: 5,047
Switchback's are kinda fun once you get enough practice on them. They are just tight turn's with some incline/decline.

I saw someone ENDO pretty hard last Thursday on one, but it was due to a flat tire that rolled on him...There may even be some pic's of some scratched up HDB guards somewhere.

He simply rode away, without any adjustment of guard's, controls, maybe he did adjust his elbow pad.
__________________
Happy Trails Y'all.

It's not about tha bike nor tha ride; it's about tha adventure in life we all seek. Great memories are made of taking tha trail less traveled and explored.

Tha Rick screwed with this post 07-16-2012 at 09:57 PM
Tha Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:55 PM   #8679
thump_co
..ouch
 
thump_co's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: 8532'
Oddometer: 1,929
Hellsickle - I'm assuming you're talking about the downed trees at 12s in the below? If so, I think I'm with 602 on this. I'd be all for installing a bigger filter feature and marking the switchback better, but I'd like to see the up-the-gut option remain "open". It provides some nice challenge. I'm blaming my slip-up the previous week on the rain.

__________________
Ride

AMA | COHVCO | Stay The Trail | BRC | TPA | BCTR | NCTR
thump_co is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 07:13 AM   #8680
bmon
Go Thattaway
 
bmon's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Conifer, CO
Oddometer: 88
bmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 03:33 PM   #8681
UncleDirt
Uncivil to idiots.
 
UncleDirt's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: High Plains of Colorado
Oddometer: 11,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeterPig View Post
I got through on and stopped here. The only relative pain of putting on HDB bars.

That's a nice vice there buddy.

Looks like you are doing it right too. I love the guards on the KLR, useful for putting those ten dollar ATV winter mitts on.
__________________
_______________________________________________
"I'll say it again: I'll consider corporations individuals when Texas executes a board of directors." ~RandyB
WW/Snoid 2014
UncleDirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 04:34 PM   #8682
HellSickle
Scone Rider
 
HellSickle's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: Fort Collins
Oddometer: 8,513
Quote:
Originally Posted by 602 View Post
Not trying to start a conflct here but....Im not sure that bubbas on atv's need to be the source of your frustration. A better built and more permanent feature might stop people from removing the the downed trees. I personally have just wheelied over them and continued my way up the hill. I am not a fan of the switchbacks, nor is anyone else that I have asked.
YMMV. I guess some folks like braided up erosive qwad tracks with water running down them in the spring, and others like a sustainable 8" TST where your bars are brushing the trees. NTTAWWT. I've seen more than one fried clutch or boiling gas tank when less experienced riders try to tackle that hill when wet.

Thump, nice job on the hill. Next time, see if you can do it without dabbing. I've only managed that a couple of times.
__________________
We don't stop riding because we get old, we get old because we stop riding.
"Wisdom is knowing what to do next, Skill is knowing how to do it, and Virtue is doing it"

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 04:43 PM   #8683
MeterPig
Meh
 
MeterPig's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Parker, Colorado...
Oddometer: 17,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellSickle View Post
We keep blocking off that awful hill and curbing the entrance to the switchbacks, but bubbas on ATVs keep removing the piles we put in place. Since we're not allowed to cut any standing trees, I keep hoping for a big blow-down to block that hill.
How so the ATV's get in there?
__________________
You looked down here...didn't you.
MeterPig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 04:44 PM   #8684
MeterPig
Meh
 
MeterPig's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Parker, Colorado...
Oddometer: 17,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleDirt View Post
That's a nice vice there buddy.

Looks like you are doing it right too. I love the guards on the KLR, useful for putting those ten dollar ATV winter mitts on.
I got the other side done last night. Cheater bar and PB blaster. The ID of the bar is quite thick. Me thinks it is due to cheaper quality steel compared to renthals.

I am thinking of filling the bar with sand for dampening.
__________________
You looked down here...didn't you.
MeterPig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 05:22 PM   #8685
thump_co
..ouch
 
thump_co's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: 8532'
Oddometer: 1,929
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellSickle View Post
YMMV. I guess some folks like braided up erosive qwad tracks with water running down them in the spring, and others like a sustainable 8" TST where your bars are brushing the trees. NTTAWWT. I've seen more than one fried clutch or boiling gas tank when less experienced riders try to tackle that hill when wet.

Thump, nice job on the hill. Next time, see if you can do it without dabbing. I've only managed that a couple of times.
Where is this dab you speak of? I hung the foot out there for insurance a few times, but don't recall if it got planted. Can't say I was really paying attention to it though, I was more focused on not letting Matt know he was pulling on me. Now I'll have to go back out with that in mind. Buy me a beer if I can keep my lazy ass standing the entire time as a bonus?
__________________
Ride

AMA | COHVCO | Stay The Trail | BRC | TPA | BCTR | NCTR
thump_co is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:46 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014