ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2013, 08:33 AM   #10576
Downhill Dave
Busco aventura

Oddometer: 570
More bad news

Yesterday the Brit Vet team crashed into a taxi with 2 fatalities and now today....

http://www.dakar.com/dakar/2013/us/s...l-release.html

Motorcycle rider no. 106 Thomas Bourgin (FRA) was the victim of a fatal traffic accident on the link route as he made his way to the start of the day's special stage.
Downhill Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:19 AM   #10577
RockyMtnScotsman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey! View Post

very good video but I'll admit that anything other than crawling traffic would scare me to try this
1973 Moto Guzzi 850 El Dorado
2005 Honda CRF230F (wife's bike)
RockyMtnScotsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:59 PM   #10578
Narsisco Lopez
Addlepated

Oddometer: 2,178
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtnScotsman View Post
very good video but I'll admit that anything other than crawling traffic would scare me to try this
I wouldn't have the slightest hesitation to do it in Europe or even in California where the cagers are used to it. Here? HELL NO... some overzealous motorist is likely to open his door just to show you he's boss. Hmmmm... I HAVE been known to use the breakdown lane on the Boulder Turnpike during rush hour traffic, though
2012 BMW K13S | 2009 KTM 990 Adventure (SOLD!) | 2003 Suzuki DRZ400E
Narsisco Lopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:30 PM   #10579
MeterPig
Meh

Oddometer: 16,745
So, why is a concealed carry class here in Colorado a hundred bucks, and this does not include the permit or practice part? I looked around and this seems to be the going rate. If anyone can find cheaper, I am all ears. At least it should include lunch.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:31 PM   #10580
MeterPig
Meh

The first few times splitting seems scary. Then you learn to just flow with it. No different that passing traffic.
Old 01-12-2013, 05:54 AM   #10581
Gitana
A work in progress

Oddometer: 6,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeterPig View Post
So, why is a concealed carry class here in Colorado a hundred bucks, and this does not include the permit or practice part? I looked around and this seems to be the going rate. If anyone can find cheaper, I am all ears. At least it should include lunch.
Junglerot's wife, Amy, teaches classes. Dunno her rate.

I'm trying to envision lanesplitting with my Vstrom and panniers and it's not computing.
2008 WR250R | 2008 DL650
Gitana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:09 AM   #10582
MeterPig
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitana View Post
Junglerot's wife, Amy, teaches classes. Dunno her rate.

I'm trying to envision lanesplitting with my Vstrom and panniers and it's not computing.
The most fun ever had on a bike was lanesplitting in Seattle on a 1150RT. No panniers but it was pretty wide compared to my leetle zx-6.
Old 01-12-2013, 09:16 AM   #10583
doc_ricketts
Thumper jockey

Oddometer: 4,470
Quote:
Pretty standard charge for the class in many states and in most you either bring your own piece or get charged for renting one from the instructor. The permit charge varies more and practice is up to the student. Thinking about carrying while lane splitting?
Old 01-12-2013, 01:02 PM   #10584
MeterPig
Meh

This is the price not including the shooting part. Just class time. I don't know, maybe not looking hard enough for the right deals plus its a sellers market out there given the hysteria around Guns right now.
Old 01-12-2013, 01:16 PM   #10585
eddyturn
Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,403
A hundred bucks is really pretty good. Mine was $150 about a year ago.
Old 01-12-2013, 02:28 PM   #10586
AteamNM
Wonna Be ADVrider

Oddometer: 2,831
$85 for the class and $100 to the state her in Enchantment. Seems reasonable. Ask about situational awarness.

Quote:
AteamNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 02:30 PM   #10587
DirtyDR
Dana

Oddometer: 2,124
Quote:
$34.99 online.
https://www.mycarrypermit.com/

I am by no means advocating that this is a good thing mind you, just showing that there are alternatives. This is where I took mine and the one I would endorse;
http://www.4bardtraining.com/
99 Rokon Ranger
71 Rokon RT140

Hack'n the TLH
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=592860

http://dirtydr.smugmug.com/

Proud Member of the Patrol Patrol
DirtyDR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 03:34 PM   #10588
BuilderScott
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 884
Quote:
I purchased a 'Sweet Jack' deal for a basic pistol and concealed carry class through Arapahoe Arms that includes range time. It's a 10 hour course that normally costs $200 and I paid $100. Turns out I can't make either of the dates (1/26 or 2/23) so if you want it, let me know. You can paypal me the $ and I'll email you the coupon with the promo code.

https://arapahoearms.com/register/concealed_carry/21

BuilderScott screwed with this post 01-12-2013 at 03:40 PM
BuilderScott is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 04:53 PM   #10589
SnowMule
[angry moth noises]

Oddometer: 17,525
Quote:
My suggestion is to not cheap out on the class. Take something worth taking, not a bargain-deal, couple-of-hour gig.

Did mine at Profire in Thornton. Two-day deal, a little over $200 ... It was a good class, covered CO/UT and did the photos/paperwork for CO/UT/FBI. Included range time on Sunday. It covered the important points and some of the goofy laws that you should probably be aware of.
Old 01-12-2013, 05:14 PM   #10590
MeterPig
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowMule View Post
My suggestion is to not cheap out on the class. Take something worth taking, not a bargain-deal, couple-of-hour gig.

Did mine at Profire in Thornton. Two-day deal, a little over $200 ... It was a good class, covered CO/UT and did the photos/paperwork for CO/UT/FBI. Included range time on Sunday. It covered the important points and some of the goofy laws that you should probably be aware of.
I have taken other advanced courses in other states. I just need to go over the laws here in Colorado.