ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2013, 09:08 AM   #11506
MaParkerColo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
Consumer reports most reliable motorcycles...

I know we aren't supposed to hot link to other sites, but 9news has a little video about consumer reports most reliable motorcycles. If you google: "9news Consumer Reports: More reliable motorcycles" it will take you right to it.

I found this funny:

Harley Davidson and BMW report most problems....but have highest owner satisfaction

I guess if you pay thousands more for a comparable bike you just tell yourself over and over how much you love it?

Transitioning to dirt from squiding?
MaParkerColo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:17 AM   #11507
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 8,509
Keep an eye on this guy. You promise not to set his new bike on fire while doing "Cuban" updates and he returns the favor by trying to steal your white plastics for his black bike.

FYI, the "Cuban" comment is from a talk we went to on Friday. The very first motorcycle tour of Cuba by a US group was led by a local guy and he gave a great slide show. Astonishing to see all of the 40's & 50's cars in immaculate condition. They manage to repair and upgrade anything they have available. We were modifying Graywolfs old nerf bars to fit his new 990.

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:40 AM   #11508
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 14,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellSickle View Post
Astonishing to see all of the 40's & 50's cars in immaculate condition. They manage to repair and upgrade anything they have available.
There's a Kiwi couple in Ride Reports doing a RTW tour that spent a couple of weeks in Cuba. Lots of pictures of the cars that remained from the years before the political turmoil.
Many are cabs and still in outstanding condion, but most had their big thirsty V8's replaced with Lada diesels.
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:26 AM   #11509
James Adams
Not a Texan

Oddometer: 7,796
Any good local source for IMS fuel tanks? I ordered through JustGasTanks but I haven't heard anything from them from the last two weeks and they aren't responding to my emails.
James Adams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:50 AM   #11510
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,693
Someone just bought an Acerbis 5.3 for his DR650 from Performance Cycle. They may be able to get the IMS, if Denver is local enough.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:53 AM   #11511
eddyturn
Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,627
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmhrc628 View Post
I'm looking for something that can be used all year round for skiing when it suits and dirt biking as well as mountain biking. I've skied snowmass in winters and stayed in Lyons in summer.

So if you we're going to buy a house in Colorado that enabled me to dirt bike in the most awesome areas and enjoy the outdoors in summer as well as to not be too far from ski resorts where would you guys suggest?

Would $500-$800k be enough?

Having something I could rent would be great for when I'm not there.
Durango. United and Frontier fly here from Denver. US Air flies in from Phoenix. That much money would be sufficient but that all depends on what you want.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:55 AM   #11512
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 29,632
My sister spends a couple of weeks in Cuba every year.

Cuba is to Canada what Acapulco is to America.

In theory as I'm still a Canadian citizen I can go to Cuba any time I want... but I don't want to have to answer for it on my citizenship interview
Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:51 AM   #11513
derm75
I'm a brother shamus...

Oddometer: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Adams View Post
Any good local source for IMS fuel tanks? I ordered through JustGasTanks but I haven't heard anything from them from the last two weeks and they aren't responding to my emails.
Justgastanks has a thread in the vendors forum with a post from last week, could try to reach them through there:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...=717160&page=7

They also have a phone # on their website that I've spoken to them through.
derm75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:55 AM   #11514
rmhrc628
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyturn View Post
Durango. United and Frontier fly here from Denver. US Air flies in from Phoenix. That much money would be sufficient but that all depends on what you want.
How far is Durango from aspen & vail ?
rmhrc628 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:57 AM   #11515
James Adams
Not a Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by derm75 View Post
Justgastanks has a thread in the vendors forum with a post from last week, could try to reach them through there:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...=717160&page=7

They also have a phone # on their website that I've spoken to them through.
I'd rather do business with a company that is proactive with communication. JGT has good prices, but I'm willing to pay a little more for better order support--better yet if it's local. I'll check with Performance to see if they sell IMS.
Old 04-08-2013, 12:05 PM   #11516
derm75
I'm a brother shamus...

Oddometer: 384
Quote:
I'd rather do business with a company that is proactive with communication. JGT has good prices, but I'm willing to pay a little more for better order support--better yet if it's local. I'll check with Performance to see if they sell IMS.
Your post said you had ordered from them, wasn't sure if any money had changed hands.
Performance is a good start.
derm75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 12:23 PM   #11517
James Adams
Not a Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by derm75 View Post
Your post said you had ordered from them, wasn't sure if any money had changed hands.
Performance is a good start.
Money has changed hands, but I'm thinking for the future as well.
Old 04-08-2013, 12:33 PM   #11518
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 14,850
Quote:
Give them a chance, Ian....they may be on holiday or something.

They are by FAR one of the best online vendors around. Be patient.

I have bought many.....many....many tanks from them. Always a good experience
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 12:37 PM   #11519
GrizGirl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,300
Quote:
Have you actually tried calling them, you know, on the telephone? Maybe your emails are not reaching them, maybe their email system is somehow thinking they are spam so they are getting deleted or put into some junk email folder - since you haven't called them you don't really know what is going on. They seem to be a great company and my dealings with them have always been very good. I think we all rely way too much on emails and forget that sometimes, for whatever reason, that technology can fail. A telephone call, where people actually speak to each other, seems to solve a lot of the emails gone missing problems.
GrizGirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 01:31 PM   #11520
James Adams
Not a Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizGirl View Post
Have you actually tried calling them, you know, on the telephone? Maybe your emails are not reaching them, maybe their email system is somehow thinking they are spam so they are getting deleted or put into some junk email folder - since you haven't called them you don't really know what is going on. They seem to be a great company and my dealings with them have always been very good. I think we all rely way too much on emails and forget that sometimes, for whatever reason, that technology can fail. A telephone call, where people actually speak to each other, seems to solve a lot of the emails gone missing problems.
It's not just them not responding to emails, it's them not giving me any order updates (backordered? discontinued? tracking number?) unless I ask. I never even got an order confirmation email. If you're going to do business online, you need to be able to do email, and you need to let me (customer) know what's going on. Most places have it well-automated and I see this as a necessity. Of course, I respect your right to disagree...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebird View Post
Give them a chance, Ian....they may be on holiday or something.

They are by FAR one of the best online vendors around. Be patient.

I have bought many.....many....many tanks from them. Always a good experience
It's fine if they're on vacation, but they should communicate that. My last (and only) email from them (on March 22) said that my tank should ship at the end of March. Nothing since then. No tracking number. No "your tank is on backorder". No more business from me, sorry.

I emailed Performance and exchanged several emails with Don to confirm that they can get the tank for me in just a few days for a competitive price. All this was done in the span of less than an hour.

James Adams screwed with this post 04-08-2013 at 01:38 PM