ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2013, 04:22 PM   #11566
norton(kel)
vintage

Oddometer: 1,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmhrc628 View Post
so is that all on private land?

Theres no fffing way you could do that down here in communist australia. Eeven if there was a registration category (which there isnt - we arent even allowed to ride quads offroad)
Coming soon to a forest near us!
norton(kel) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 06:50 PM   #11567
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,858
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDudeAbides View Post
Oh and I love that the passenger has a T-handle to smash their face into.
The T-handle is supposed to keep this from happening, doesn't always work though

RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:06 PM   #11568
thump_co
..ouch

Oddometer: 2,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideFreak View Post
The T-handle is supposed to keep this from happening, doesn't always work though
Yeeeeaaaaah...

Just got done with leg day.. the one day I'm still allowed to eat like a horse.

I sit down with a nice juicy chicken, ready to dig in and figure I'd check in on ADV... then ^that^

AMA | COHVCO | Stay The Trail | BRC | TPA | BCTR | NCTR
thump_co is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:45 AM   #11569
Narsisco Lopez
Addlepated

Oddometer: 2,207
Quote:
Originally Posted by thump_co View Post
Yeeeeaaaaah...

I sit down with a nice juicy chicken, ready to dig in and figure I'd check in on ADV... then ^that^

Horses eat chicken? Who knew?
A Few Past Bikes
: 2003 Suzuki DRZ400E | 2012 BMW K13S | 2009 KTM 990 Adventure
Narsisco Lopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:27 AM   #11570
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer: 4,582
Quote:
Yeeeeaaaaah...

Looks like a chainsaw accident.

Bon Appetit
Plaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:29 AM   #11571
MeterPig
Meh

Oddometer: 17,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by norton(kel) View Post
Coming soon to a forest near us!
The South is a lot different than up here in the rockies. Look, they are having fun, away from you. wouldn't even know about it if it wasn't on youtube. Live and let live.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:52 AM   #11572
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,682
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeterPig View Post
The South is a lot different than up here in the rockies. Look, they are having fun, away from you. wouldn't even know about it if it wasn't on youtube. Live and let live.
re-read his reply....his "coming soon to a forest near us" is in reply to how restrictive OHV use is in Oz. I'm pretty sure he meant we're not far from losing our ground in the same fashion.

And if that was on private land meant for OHV use and destined to be thrashed by whoever owns it....that's one thing.

Otherwise that was pretty tough on things, and I don't see that as a positive way to use land at all.... throw 1,000 hp at it instead of learning how to drive a technical section?
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:02 AM   #11573
Osprey!
a.k.a. Opie

Oddometer: 3,965
It doesn't matter if it's private land (which I doubt), it's just wrong. Plus all those beer bellied, cheering spectators? Someone call in a drone strike, please.

In all seriousness, videos like that fuel hatred of our sport by conservation and wilderness preservation groups. Most of the folks I ride with show respect for the land and don't tear up trails or ride through sensitive habitat like wetlands.

If that video is your idea of a good time, please do me a favor and speak up. That way I can be sure we NEVER ride together.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:09 AM   #11574
MaParkerColo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 221
Everything about that video is wrong for what he is trying to do?! From years of owning and building Jeeps he is using a wrench as a hammer...To crawl up rocks he needs lower gears, aired down tires and a slow methodical approach with a good spotter. The only thing I can figure is that he built it as a mud bog racer and is just trying it out on the rocks? High HP, high gear ratio blows you through a bog without getting stuck...on rock it just spins you out.

Back east they have private land off-road parks that allow you to destroy the property at will. Some even let you mix in alcohol to add to the safety factor My guess is this was filmed at something like that.

Still a tool with a capital T
MaParkerColo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:13 AM   #11575
thump_co
..ouch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narsisco Lopez View Post
Horses eat chicken? Who knew?
I was waiting for that. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebird View Post
And if that was on private land meant for OHV use and destined to be thrashed by whoever owns it....that's one thing.
I saw that vid a while back and thought I remember some back and forth in the comments section where they said it was all on a private land and closed competition courses. Even then.. as awesome as that machine is, it just makes you cringe watching him drop the hammer through the forest.

Good thing we never seen any moto guys stuck on a steep singletrack sitting there with a pinned throttle....

Old 04-10-2013, 10:43 AM   #11576
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer: 4,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey! View Post
It doesn't matter if it's private land (which I doubt), it's just wrong. Plus all those beer bellied, cheering spectators? Someone call in a drone strike, please.

In all seriousness, videos like that fuel hatred of our sport by conservation and wilderness preservation groups. Most of the folks I ride with show respect for the land and don't tear up trails or ride through sensitive habitat like wetlands.

If that video is your idea of a good time, please do me a favor and speak up. That way I can be sure we NEVER ride together.
It's my idea of a good time, if I get to drive. I'm not much for spectator sports, any of them.

So you have to be skinny to have fun? or is it you have to be skinny to be OK at all? mind if I mention that is a frighteningly common boulder attitude. They got over not being young anymore, but Fat? Much less a beer belly? Don't get me going on that bullshit. It's far closer to real evil than you might think.

The idea isn't to get to the top of the hill necessarily, it's to bounce the car around, break it, fix it, do it some more.

The envirobullshitters can kiss my ass. At 18 I was more sophisticated than any of them in the ways of wildlands. I'm 54 and nothing's changed. They're still full of it.

Did you notice that's all third or better growth forest. Every inch has been clear cut. Every tree cut again and again. Every last square centimeter stomped by people again and again. Get over it. It's tough country. We will be long gone and forgotten and there will be more trees coming up.

Did you notice the VERY large structure at the top of the screen? They aren't out in the wilds somewhere. It is pretty country tho'. Some of it looks like a construction site or new road cut.

Those good 'ol boys think about as much of you as you do of them. Don't forget that bell curve, there's more of them. That rear steering setup was slick though. That thing is very purpose built and it isn't for swamps.

Spent a day once swilling beer and roaring around the slag dumps outside of Leadville in a fast dune buggy. it was fun, we were drunk ( and then we got a lot more drunk) and we survived. We didn't care what anyone thought. I still don't care what people think. Half of them are stupider than the other half and the smarter half isn't real bright. I've spent a lifetime paying for that so I figure I get to shoot off my mouth.

Dammnit Opie, I had to turn off NPR and put on a county station. You have ridden with me and despite the pipes, you didn't seem to mind...or hid it well.
Plaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:17 AM   #11577
norton(kel)
vintage

Oddometer: 1,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebird View Post
re-read his reply....his "coming soon to a forest near us" is in reply to how restrictive OHV use is in Oz. I'm pretty sure he meant we're not far from losing our ground in the same fashion.

Otherwise that was pretty tough on things, and I don't see that as a positive way to use land at all.... throw 1,000 hp at it instead of learning how to drive a technical section?
Blake always explains it better than I
norton(kel) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:32 AM   #11578
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 30,817

it must have snowed yesterday.

Geek screwed with this post 04-10-2013 at 11:45 AM
Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:57 AM   #11579
thump_co
..ouch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaka View Post
So you have to be skinny to have fun? or is it you have to be skinny to be OK at all? mind if I mention that is a frighteningly common boulder attitude. They got over not being young anymore, but Fat? Much less a beer belly? Don't get me going on that bullshit. It's far closer to real evil than you might think.
Actually, I think most of Boulder is too skinny to be having any fun. Skipping a good IPA in favor of a gluten free tofu granola snack and yoga session is not living... and any male that can't bench at least 275# while wearing a beer hat should probably have their man card revoked and be tossed outta town. Just sayin'.

Old 04-10-2013, 12:04 PM   #11580
Tha Rick
Shake and bake!

Oddometer: 5,269
Quote:
Actually, I think most of Boulder is too skinny to be having any fun. Skipping a good IPA in favor of a gluten free tofu granola snack and yoga session is not living... and any male that can't bench at least 275# while wearing a beer hat should probably have their man card revoked and be tossed outta town. Just sayin'.

my man card is revoked...shoulder issues.

It's not about tha bike nor tha ride; it's about tha adventure in life we all seek. Great memories are made of taking tha trail less traveled and explored.
Tha Rick is offline   Reply With Quote