ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-2013, 08:49 PM   #12196
doc_ricketts
Thumper jockey

Oddometer: 4,552
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeterPig View Post
Burn bans? What stinkin burn bans...
I am near the Muckleshoot Indian Reservation, which is the absolute heart of fireworks in America. They have an area with about 50 vendors and you can buy whatever you want and set it off in a field nearby if you wish. But the best July 4th fireworks show I have been at was in Lee Vining CA on the shores of Mono Lake in the 1970s. They had a huge show over the lake that included some stick of dynamite and then they set off four 55 gal barrels of gasoline with dynamite. Now that is fireworks!!!
Old 07-05-2013, 07:30 AM   #12197
barko1
barko1

Oddometer: 3,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc_ricketts View Post
I am near the Muckleshoot Indian Reservation, which is the absolute heart of fireworks in America. They have an area with about 50 vendors and you can buy whatever you want and set it off in a field nearby if you wish. But the best July 4th fireworks show I have been at was in Lee Vining CA on the shores of Mono Lake in the 1970s. They had a huge show over the lake that included some stick of dynamite and then they set off four 55 gal barrels of gasoline with dynamite. Now that is fireworks!!!

I don't think that would happen these days
DR650, 98 Bimota SB6R, Kawasaki 14, 67 X-6 Scrambler (apart), SL350K1 (apart), 77 Goldwing 1000,, Triumph Thunderbird Sport, Triumph Daytona Super III, DR650, MZ Skorpian Sport Cup, 71 Triumph Daytona 500, 1965 Bridgestone 90!
barko1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 08:44 AM   #12198
atokad
wan⋅der⋅lust

Oddometer: 2,382
Well now, this would be interesting!

Head Transplants Now Feasible, Thanks to Medical Technology Breakthroughs

Human head transplants may be around the corner, according to Quartz. In an interview, Dr. Sergio Canavero, a neuroscientist at the Turin Advanced Neuromodulation Group, reports that the technologies needed for head implants are now available. Head implants have been carried out on animals for the past 40 years (see video below).
One of the most significant challenges for head implants is the spinal cord. While researchers have been able to successfully connect arteries, blood vessels, muscles, ligaments and other neck structures after a head transplant, the spinal cord has proven a significant challenge. However, new advances in reconnecting severed spinal cords could make head transplants feasible.
“The greatest technical hurdle to [a head transplant] is of course the reconnection of the donor’s (D)’s and recipients (R)’s spinal cords. It is my contention that the technology only now exists for such linkage…. [S]everal up to now hopeless medical connections might benefit from such a procedure,” states Canavero in his paper.
In 1970, scientists were able to transplant the head of a rhesus monkey onto the body of a second monkey. For this procedure to work, both monkeys had to be in the same operating room. After severing the heads off both animals, the transplant head must be cooled to a temperature between 54.6°F and 59°F. The transplanted head must be reconnected to the circulatory system of a donor body in less than 60 minutes. In addition, the donor body must be cooled and placed in a state of cardiac arrest.
Once the head is connected to a donor body, the donor body’s heart can be restarted. Once this is done, surgeons can reconnect other systems like the spinal cord. Reconnection of a spinal cord following a head transplant has never been undertaken. However, severing and reconnecting the spinal cord in one animal has been met with muted success. This past week, researchers at the Cleveland Clinic and Case Western Reserve University were able to successfully connect two severed halves of a rat’s spinal cord.
In the past, the reconnection of a spinal cord requires more than a surgeon’s delicate touch. Instead, physicians and researchers must encourage the natural healing mechanisms in the body. However, Canavero offers a different method for reconnecting the spinal cord. By using a very sharp knife, the spinal cord can be mechanically connected between a head and a donor body.
By ensuring a clean cut, proximally severed axons can be coaxed to fuse with another set of axons. “This fusion exploits so-called fusogens/sealants….[which] are able to immediately reconstitute (fuse/repair) cell membranes damaged by mechanical injury, independent of any known endogenous sealing mechanism,” he notes in his paper
VIDEO:
Russian scientists keep dog’s head alive separate from its body (black and white archival video from Soviet Union). Note: the authenticity of this video hasn't been independently verified. The researchers who created this film, however, did receive the Lenin Award for the research.
Old 07-05-2013, 11:13 AM   #12199
petepuma
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 324
Cool...

All those folks who previously had to lower the suspension could jusrt go get a taller body so the bikes wouldnt have ro be made smaller......

sent via mental telepathy
Old 07-06-2013, 06:57 AM   #12200
Narsisco Lopez
Addlepated

Oddometer: 2,211
What I did on my summer vacation...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=901321

A Few Past Bikes
: 2003 Suzuki DRZ400E | 2012 BMW K13S | 2009 KTM 990 Adventure
Narsisco Lopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 07:06 AM   #12201
Lomax
Nanu-Nanu Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,312
I did not know birds could fly that high Nice shot of Loveland.

Marc
Old 07-06-2013, 08:55 AM   #12202
Hondo
What if its a Samsquamch?

Oddometer: 8,902

You are a silly man David!

"Life's an adventure, and I refuse to live a boring one."

Hondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 09:17 AM   #12203
Honkey Cat
Tailights Fade!

Oddometer: 1,059
Tire ?? Visiting from florida

Doing the corado 2 day ride plus an additional week of riding on my 2010 ktm 530 xcw. Have a brand new stock front tire on bike. Bridgestone motocross xc. Wanting to know if this tire will last a week of non hardcore riding or should I switch to something like a Dunlop 952 ??
Old 07-06-2013, 01:51 PM   #12204
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 14,823
It worked out that I had the weekend off from Weds thru Sunday, and it looked at first like Jeanne couldn't get away - so I put on a new rear tire Tuesday afternoon, packed the bike and was on my way early Wednesday morning, about sunup.
Before I left I found out Jeanne was free for the weekend, but she insisted I go.... so I did, not that her insisting either way would have changed my plans

I got up to the top of Berthoud Pass....beautiful weather, five days of excellent riding in front of me. I was feeling the road trip euphoria but didn't feel like doing it solo if she had the same five days off, so I turned around, went back to the house and grabbed Jeanne.
She'd seen the weather forecast up there (rain), so instead of the bike we took the car - which is about as fun in the mountains as most bikes

Headed out 40, up and over Rabbit Ears, lunch in the 'boat....and on to Vernal.
Up thru Flaming Gorge, Rock Spgs, Pinedale, Jackson, Victor, Driggs, West Yellowstone, Bozeman.
Pretty much the reverse of a weekend ride I did on the ST1300 two years ago -and it was pretty cool to see some of it going the other direction.

One of my favorite bike roads is from Victor north, on the west side of the Tetons. No Yellowstone crowds/RV's....just beautiful green rolling hills.

We hit some pretty heavy rain from West Yellowstone up thru Bozeman, and from there off and on to Casper, WY.

Stopped in Bozeman on the 4th...

Every time I've been over Beartooth, it's been south to north, so doing hwy 78 (Columbus/Absarokee/Red Lodge) in reverse ended up being more fun.
Better views in this direction. Great bike road, and not too shabby in a fun car

the Bear's Tooth barely visible off to the right...

a little zoomage to help

sections of this road have been under construction every time I've been over

Pilot Peak almost obscured by clouds - it rained hard thru here, and lightning was popping all around. Didn't mind being in the car so much

I guess it's ok to have one car picture
In sport mode it blew me away with how much fun four wheels can provide.

a brief respite from the rain at the Dead Indian Pass overlook

Coming down the hill towards Cody we were in and out of torrential downpours that the wipers couldn't keep up with, and could see one off in the distance.

south of Thermopolis about to enter the Wind River Canyon

Past that it was Casper for the night, and home today.

The bike gets it's chance again tomorrow
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 05:15 PM   #12205
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 29,572
holy heck! the proverbial "wall of water"
Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 05:44 PM   #12206
Krang
Rides with hippies

Oddometer: 339
WOW, where was that?

Hope it hit some of the areas that are burning.
Old 07-06-2013, 05:57 PM   #12207
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 14,823
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krang View Post
WOW, where was that?
it was coming down from Dead Indian Pass headed east towards Cody (WY).

https://www.google.com/maps/preview#...8!3d44.7303927
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 10:55 PM   #12208
LoneRhino
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Great photos BB!

AMA / NCTR.net
“Someone once told me the definition of Hell: The last day you have on Earth, the person you became will meet the person you could have become.” – Anon
LoneRhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 05:33 AM   #12209
Patj551
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
holy heck! the proverbial "wall of water"
Wow! That's impressive. Kinda feels like that cloud has been following me. I've been getting rained on a lot! Still grateful for the precip!
Patj551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 06:31 AM   #12210
Narsisco Lopez
Addlepated

Oddometer: 2,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebird View Post

Coming down the hill towards Cody we were in and out of torrential downpours that the wipers couldn't keep up with, and could see one off in the distance.

Man, I'm glad YOU got the rain and not me: just under 6k miles in 10 days (most of them on the eastern seaboard) and I only got a bit of rain... luckily, I missed the torrential stuff.
A Few Past Bikes
: 2003 Suzuki DRZ400E | 2012 BMW K13S | 2009 KTM 990 Adventure
Narsisco Lopez is offline   Reply With Quote