ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2013, 09:41 PM   #12286
Yellow Pig
Allergic to Asphalt!

Oddometer: 7,223
It would be if the riders name was Mountain.

Old 07-22-2013, 06:19 AM   #12287
ironbrewer
Hopefully Riding

Oddometer: 4,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Pig View Post
It would be if the riders name was Mountain.

No way. Even if Mountain gets hurt we find a way to get him out without an ambulance.

Pat Paulsen
ironbrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 10:05 AM   #12288
MeterPig
Meh

Oddometer: 17,090
Hmmmm.....

Quote:
They say never to bring a knife to a gunfight.

Such was the case Wednesday night in unincorporated El Paso County.

Three men who reportedly tried to rob a motorcyclist at knifepoint got a big surprise when the motorcyclist hit one of the men and then pulled out a gun.

The motorcyclist had pulled over in the 3800 block of Marksheffel Road about 6:25 p.m. to add another layer of clothing, sheriff's spokesman Lt. Jeff Kramer said.

Three men who appeared between 19 and 20 years old pulled up behind him in a black Honda Accord. Two of the men got out of the car and demanded the motorcyclist's money. One of the men was armed with a knife, Kramer said.

The motorcyclist didn't comply with their demands.

Instead, he punched the knife-wielding man and then pulled out a handgun, which he was lawfully carrying, Kramer said.

The suspects ran back to the car and sped away, Kramer said.

No arrests have been made, and the investigation is ongoing, he said.

-

Contact Daniel ChacOn: 476-1623 Twitter @danieljchacon Facebook Daniel Chacon
http://gazette.com/motorcyclist-turn...rticle/1503696
Old 07-22-2013, 10:35 AM   #12289
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 9,106
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeterPig View Post
Dude! Quit dis'n the folks in Colorado Springs.

I'll make sure to get my CCP before my next visit.

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 11:01 AM   #12290
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,685
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=904860

try to keep up

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeterPig View Post
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 11:20 AM   #12291
barko1
barko1

Oddometer: 3,289
Where to camp South of Denver next Saturday night? I HAVE to go pick up my new to me Triumph Thunderbird Sport in Lonetree on Sunday morning and will be dragging a trailer behind my truck camper. Is there a decent spot to camp not far off my route up I25? I'm self contained and really just need a hassle free place to let my dogs out and get a night of sleep. I'll probably be driving up Saturday afternoon from a Four Stroke Singles National Owners Club lunch that is in Jemez Springs, NM. I'd rather not stay in a Walmart parking lot . Forest service campsites or boondocking would be good, imagine it might be busy on a Saturday night.
DR650, 98 Bimota SB6R, Kawasaki 14, 67 X-6 Scrambler (apart), SL350K1 (apart), 77 Goldwing 1000, Triumph Thunderbird Sport, Triumph Daytona Super III, DR650, MZ Skorpian Sport Cup, 71 Triumph Daytona 500, KDX220
barko1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 11:32 AM   #12292
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Wyogirl needs a new helmet

This weekend on Pearl Pass. She "missed it by this much"

Old 07-22-2013, 12:14 PM   #12293
tweetie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellSickle View Post
This weekend on Pearl Pass. She "missed it by this much"

That chick rawks even when she falls!
tweetie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 12:35 PM   #12294
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 30,821
Thanks for reminding me not to take the 950 up there again.
Glad she was ok!
Did you guys make it over?

Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 01:25 PM   #12295
GrizGirl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
Thanks for reminding me not to take the 950 up there again.
Glad she was ok!
Did you guys make it over?

I can't believe you took the 950 over. I know Toddler took his once as well - CRAZY!!! We were in two groups and we both made it over - Wyogirl and crew were the first over, Tha Rick, Xplorr (?), and I later, as we decided to check out the top of the gondola at Aspen along the way. BIG MISTAKE, I was so tired by the time we hit the south side of Pearl it wasn't pretty!

This is almost near the top on the north side, rocks, rocks, and more rocks...... My fat butt and the DR's weak suspension really got a workout!

We were headed down the south side and I was so very exhausted. Rocks, steepness, more rocks... I was at the edge of my strength and my muscles were all yelling at me. That was when the weirdest thing EVER, and the last thing you would expect to see 2/3rds of the way up Pearl Pass happened (we were about 1/3rd of the way down). I come around a corner and there is a guy pushing a bicycle up the pass. I think mountain biker but no...... He had wild hair, was wearing sandals, and had panniers on the front of his bike that had fenders. Yes, I registered all of that as I went by. He was standing in the good line and startled me so badly I attempted to take the line over these ledges.....

The dude was standing at about 10:00 in the above picture, I wish I would have thought to photograph him before he walked away!!! I made the first ledge and if I would have had a few inches to give the DR forks time to recover I may have made it. But I hit the top of the second, steeper ledge and knew I didn't have a chance so I bailed off the bike - I pushed it one way and dove the other. Rick and Brian came running down to me and I looked around them to make sure I really did see the dude in the trail.. Rick asks if I'm ok, yes but I hit my knee hard, thank goodness for knee guards! Then I said - "WHY THE F!$K IS THAT HIPPIE IN THE MIDDLE OF THE GD TRAIL?!?!?!?!?!" Then I stood up and had a temper tantrum because I was tired and whipped and mad at myself for my crash! A few minutes later we rode down the rest of the way.... more rocks, more steepness.

When we finally made it back to camp we learned the earlier group had seen the bicycle hippie dude at the bottom of the pass! I know one person has pictures and turns out the dude wasn't wearing any pants!!!!!!! ACK!!!! So my story will be that some dude flashed his pearls at me on Pearl Pass right when I was hitting my wall and that is why I crashed.
GrizGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 01:38 PM   #12296
tweetie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizGirl View Post
"WHY THE F!$K IS THAT HIPPIE IN THE MIDDLE OF THE GD TRAIL?!?!?!?!?!"

You rock, too!

tweetie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 01:43 PM   #12297
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizGirl View Post
The dude was standing at about 10:00 in the above picture, I wish I would have thought to photograph him before he walked away!!! I made the first ledge and if I would have had a few inches to give the DR forks time to recover I may have made it. But I hit the top of the second, steeper ledge and knew I didn't have a chance so I bailed off the bike - I pushed it one way and dove the other. Rick and Brian came running down to me and I looked around them to make sure I really did see the dude in the trail.. Rick asks if I'm ok, yes but I hit my knee hard, thank goodness for knee guards! Then I said - "WHY THE F!$K IS THAT HIPPIE IN THE MIDDLE OF THE GD TRAIL?!?!?!?!?!" Then I stood up and had a temper tantrum because I was tired and whipped and mad at myself for my crash! A few minutes later we rode down the rest of the way.... more rocks, more steepness.

When we finally made it back to camp we learned the earlier group had seen the bicycle hippie dude at the bottom of the pass! I know one person has pictures and turns out the dude wasn't wearing any pants!!!!!!! ACK!!!! So my story will be that some dude flashed his pearls at me on Pearl Pass right when I was hitting my wall and that is why I crashed.
We were sitting below tree line on the other side of the pass having lunch, admiring the back of the Maroon Bells when the full moon came out. Yup, no pants. Allegedly, no tan line either. Guess he must do that a lot. This was one of the few occasions when I said "Whatever he's smoking, I don't want any".

Geek, I'll be impressed when you ride the 950 from the Aspen side

We had the good fortune to come up behind 12 4x4s on the top of Pearl. Not much room to get around them, so we had to poke along for a mile.

Old 07-22-2013, 01:50 PM   #12298
SaharaJp99
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 656
Quote:
We were sitting below tree line on the other side of the pass having lunch, admiring the back of the Maroon Bells when the full moon came out. Yup, no pants. Allegedly, no tan line either. Guess he must do that a lot. This was one of the few occasions when I said "Whatever he's smoking, I don't want any".

Geek, I'll be impressed when you ride the 950 from the Aspen side

We had the good fortune to come up behind 12 4x4s on the top of Pearl. Not much room to get around them, so we had to poke along for a mile.
'Twas an odd sight. Had a great time riding with everyone and laughing around the campfire! Good times!

Josh
SaharaJp99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 02:26 PM   #12299
Gitana
A work in progress

Oddometer: 7,173
It was so big I fell off my bike....
2008 WR250R | 2008 DL650
Gitana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 02:38 PM   #12300
Tha Rick
Shake and bake!

Oddometer: 5,269
Quote:
This was one of the few occasions when I said "Whatever he's smoking, I don't want any".

Dude was a bit out there, even by our standards.. I wonder if he lost a bet? I've heard of inmates doing crazy stuff like this so maybe he had an ADV tatoo on his arm.

It's not about tha bike nor tha ride; it's about tha adventure in life we all seek. Great memories are made of taking tha trail less traveled and explored.
Tha Rick is offline   Reply With Quote