ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-2013, 01:24 PM   #12586
thump_co
..ouch

Oddometer: 2,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellSickle View Post

In this case, the loop is getting harder. Really. C'mon out the last weekend of September if you want to give it a try. Since it's WY, it shouldn't conflict with your aversion to the Front Range.
Sorry, Jeff, but doing both loops in only one direction has now become passé.. [yawn]

(Assuming they're still alive. )

AMA | COHVCO | Stay The Trail | BRC | TPA | BCTR | NCTR
thump_co is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 01:29 PM   #12587
toddler
Unpronouncible

Oddometer: 2,708
Quote:
Originally Posted by enduro-ince View Post
I just looked at my atlas. Albany appears to be east of the CD... NO DEAL!

TG has been threatening to head that way, if my wife wusses out on a race she should run on the 28th I could be convinced. All my jerseys are already ripped to shreds from the ladies trying to get to the real me so no worries there!

Albany is like no other place I have ridden. It is a must place to roll some tires if you can handle technical.

Can you?
toddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 01:38 PM   #12588
Tha Rick
Shake and bake!

Oddometer: 5,219
Quote:
All my jerseys are already ripped to shreds from the Wife trying to get to the real me so no worries there!
Fixd for faminly harmony.

It's not about tha bike nor tha ride; it's about tha adventure in life we all seek. Great memories are made of taking tha trail less traveled and explored.
Tha Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 01:48 PM   #12589
thump_co
..ouch

Quote:
Originally Posted by thump_co View Post
Sorry, Jeff, but doing both loops in only one direction has now become passé.. [yawn]

(Assuming they're still alive. )
Just got the check in. Brad and Matt (602) are my new heros. One day, both loops, both directions. 160miles and 12+ hours of pure torture. Silverboy on pace, but thwarted by broken toes just shy of finish.

I would put this as the equivalent of 8+ back-to-back loops of 5MoH. Deserves it's own thread, but I'm guessing it'll take a solid week before any of them can use their hands to type.

Old 09-09-2013, 01:53 PM   #12590
enduro-ince
dirtslave

Oddometer: 5,009
Quote:

I would put this as the equivalent of 8+ back-to-back loops of 5MoH.

Not interested then, that would kill me! Whew dodged another bullet there!
Old 09-09-2013, 02:01 PM   #12591
thump_co
..ouch

Quote:

Not interested then, that would kill me! Whew dodged another bullet there!
That wasn't a ride. It was a deathmarch (a.k.a. typical Sliverboy spawned concept). I can't tell you how relieved I was when the 300 blew up and I had an excuse to bail.

The norm is just doing it all one direction. That's what Sept will be. Leaves bike and body thoroughly worked and ready for a beer IV. You and TG should definitely do this.

Old 09-09-2013, 02:22 PM   #12592
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 8,996
Quote:
Just got the check in. Brad and Matt (602) are my new heros. One day, both loops, both directions. 160miles and 12+ hours of pure torture. Silverboy on pace, but thwarted by broken toes just shy of finish.

I would put this as the equivalent of 8+ back-to-back loops of 5MoH. Deserves it's own thread, but I'm guessing it'll take a solid week before any of them can use their hands to type.
Agreed, that would be like multiple Hell 'n Back rides. What Manimals! I decided it would be stoopid for me to try, so told them I had a sprained uvula. Once I get tired, I start hitting trees. The recent rain up there made all the logs like ice. Most of our guys were out of water by the time we got halfway thru (we rode the CW direction). I would need at least a gallon of water for each direction. At the halfway point, the skies opened up so we decided to call it a day.

Silverboy should just have those pesky toes removed.

FYI, anyone thinking of riding there should have cut down handlebars. 18" would be about perfect. I was running 34" bars. Not having the mad skilz of E-I, I'll never perfect doing the wheelie-and-turn-bars-to-full-lock technique to fit between the trees.

FYI, there was one black swamp section where we spent a lot of time filling the bottomless holes with wood to make it easier for those riding it the next day. We also came across a rock pile intentionally blocking the road and a large down tree where someone tried to close the trail. Busy beavers resulted in a partially drowned bike when our leader tested the water depth.

HellSickle screwed with this post 09-09-2013 at 02:45 PM
HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 02:38 PM   #12593
thump_co
..ouch

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellSickle View Post
Agreed, that would be like multiple Hell 'n Back rides. What Manimals! I decided it would be stoopid for me to try, so told them I had a sprained uvula. Once I get tired, I start hitting trees. The recent rain up there made all the logs like ice. Most of our guys were out of water by the time we got halfway thru (we rode the CW direction). I would need at least a gallon of water for each direction.

Silverboy should just have those pesky toes removed.

FYI, anyone thinking of riding there should have cut down handlebars. 18" would be about perfect. I was running 34" bars. Not having the mad skilz of E-I, I'll never perfect doing the wheelie-and-turn-bars-to-full-lock technique to fit between the trees.
That place in the rain is just stoopid. Big, slow, off camber logs on sidehill with no spare room to maneuver. Goggles turn to pure fog, but you don't want to take them off b/c you're getting hit the face every few seconds so you just ride half-blind either way.

Got one of my best crashes ever near the end of loop two like that. Top of second gear into tree while still fully on the throttle.

Old 09-09-2013, 02:51 PM   #12594
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Quote:
That place in the rain is just stoopid. Big, slow, off camber logs on sidehill with no spare room to maneuver. Goggles turn to pure fog, but you don't want to take them off b/c you're getting hit the face every few seconds so you just ride half-blind either way.

Got one of my best crashes ever near the end of loop two like that. Top of second gear into tree while still fully on the throttle.
Some might think that a trials bike would be ideal. However.... endless tree tunnels make it hard to stand up. A few years ago I witnessed a guy on a trials bike start the loop with an open face helmet. At the halfway point, his face was pretty bloody.

Old 09-09-2013, 03:53 PM   #12595
toddler
Unpronouncible

Oddometer: 2,708
Quote:

EFFFFFFFFFFFFFF me. That is some serious self torture.
toddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 05:55 PM   #12596
Tha Rick
Shake and bake!

Oddometer: 5,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddler View Post
EFFFFFFFFFFFFFF me. That is some serious self torture.
That's some good old fashioned hard core there!

It's not about tha bike nor tha ride; it's about tha adventure in life we all seek. Great memories are made of taking tha trail less traveled and explored.
Tha Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:21 PM   #12597
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 30,631
HO LEE CRAP

Could you imagine?

http://www.outsideonline.com/news-fr...the-Andes.html

Motorcyclist Found Alive After 4 Months in the Andes
Bike broke down in the mountains

Authorities in Argentina say a 58-year-old man has been rescued and is in good health after spending four months lost in the Andes. Emergency services say Raul Fernando Gomez, originally from Uruguay, lost about 45 pounds and was severely dehydrated but is expected to recover.
Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:41 PM   #12598
Osprey!
a.k.a. Opie

Oddometer: 3,941
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
HO LEE CRAP

Could you imagine?

... I can imagine a KTM needing routine maintenance, now buried under 4 months of snow.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:09 PM   #12599
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey! View Post
... I can imagine a KTM needing routine maintenance, now buried under 4 months of snow.
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:14 AM   #12600
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
HO LEE CRAP

Could you imagine?

http://www.outsideonline.com/news-fr...the-Andes.html

Authorities in Argentina say a 58-year-old man has been rescued and is in good health after spending four months lost in the Andes. Emergency services say Raul Fernando Gomez, originally from Uruguay, lost about 45 pounds and was severely dehydrated but is expected to recover.
UPDATE: Original sources for this brief indicated that Gomez was a cyclist. We now know that he was traveling by motorcycle in an attempt to evade an arrest warrant. More as the story develops.