User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2014, 01:28 AM   #1
delta8x OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 272
Wink Los Angeles to Antarctica.... definitely maybe somewhere... whatever

I am packing my Yamaha Super Tenere and riding from Los Angeles, California, USA to Ushuaia, Argentina. I have always wanted to travel more, but never really thought about taking this long of a trip on my motorcycle until a few years ago. In 2013, I traveled on my Yamaha Super Tenere for about a month and made my way about half way down through Mexico and back. Ever since, I have been thinking more and more about taking a longer trip. Planning is not my favorite thing to do, so I just decided to ride south to the farthest tip I could ride my motorcycle, Ushuaia, and then a boat to Antarctica. Not only is planning not my favorite thing, but I hate actually committing to anything as well. My friends have told me that I remind them of one of the characters from the TV show "The Office" that can never commit to anything in advance. If you ask him (or me) to go to a party the following night we'll say, "Sounds good, maybe." To which they will reply, "Well, I'll put you down as a no." "Hold on pal, nooooo.... that's way too much commitment." Now they reply, "Okay, I'll put you down as a yes." And we say, "Whoa.... I didn't say I was going to come yet. That's too much commitment." Well, I have committed to a departure date and am officially leaving TODAY Wednesday, October 8, 2014. I turn 40 years old in April 2015, so I guess this could be considered a mid-life crisis journey. I am familiar with quite a bit of Mexico from my last trip, but once I get past Mexico City I am hoping I will just figure it out?!! Maybe if I can pick up some of the language along the way it would be helpful, although maybe I should practice charades before I go. I am taking a set of Go Pro cameras, so I hope to get some good videos and hopefully I can share some good experiences with everyone. I'll be tracking my journey with a spot tracker, my facebook page and a blog where I'll be sharing pictures, videos, and stories of things I experience along the way. I hope that anyone with any advice or stories from past adventures will share them with me at www.WhereIsCoby.com to help give me tips and keep me updated with anything I need to know along my journey south.

That is it for now... I will post pictures of the final pack and the departure. You may ask what is the route?? There is no route! Planning? This is an adventure, lets ride!
Attached Images

delta8x screwed with this post 11-13-2014 at 07:41 AM
delta8x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 01:36 AM   #2
b4thenite
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 214
Thumb

See you on the road. Entering Mexico on 19th of Oct.
b4thenite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 07:28 AM   #3
hotlaps
outlaw riding

Oddometer: 13
This is going to be rad
hotlaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 02:27 AM   #4
delta8x OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thumb Little delay... didn't I say commitment issues?

Well, I didn't make it out on Wednesday as planned, but did manage to get everything packed up and loaded on the bike to get an early start Thursday. You can see the picture of everything I packed for my entire 6 month trip into my three cases. I was able to shoot some photos and videos for my blog www.WhereIsCoby.com today since I pushed back the trip a day, so hopefully those will be uploaded soon and the blog will be up and running shortly for everyone to follow along on my journey south. I will be looking forward to any tips and meeting fellow travelers along the way. Hope to run into you b4thenite and have a great trip through Mexico if I don't see you since I'm getting a bit of a headstart!
Attached Images

delta8x screwed with this post 10-09-2014 at 02:57 AM
Old 10-09-2014, 09:11 AM   #5
Johnnydarock
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 281
I know you said you didn't do any planning...but your 6 month ride is going to put you in Ushuaia during the winter...making it near impossible to get a boat to Antactica. Should still be an epic journey.

Johnnydarock screwed with this post 10-09-2014 at 02:02 PM
Johnnydarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 01:44 PM   #6
Scubalong
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 834
Safe travel
Scubalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 10:18 PM   #7
delta8x OP
Gnarly Adventurer

it's dark! where am I?

I stopped somewhere in between Yuma and Ajo Arizona tonight it will be interesting to see tomorrow where ended up. I pulled off onto a little side road off of I-8 and when I came up to a wash I thought that could be a good incognito camp spot. So I turned down the sandy wash and bull dogged this 1000 lb bike down a sandy gravely rocky wash with a handful of throttle saving my ass more than once. I found a nice gravely flat spot and threw down my tent, right now it looks like a great spot.. We will see in the morning, photos to come tomorrow
Attached Images

delta8x screwed with this post 10-10-2014 at 01:09 PM
Old 10-09-2014, 10:23 PM   #8
delta8x OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnydarock View Post
I know you said you didn't do any planning...but your 6 month ride is going to put you in Ushuaia during the winter...making it near impossible to get a boat to Antactica. Should still be an epic journey.

I think if I am there in March I will be okay but you never know. It looked like May June July and August were the coldest months in Ushuaia. I guess I will find out.
Old 10-11-2014, 11:37 AM   #9
delta8x OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Hermosillo Mexico today

Coming to this town reminds me why I like Mexico. The town center everyone comes together and hangs out, music, kids, beverages, food, senoritas. Also I am finding it hard to upload pictures, even at the lowest setting in my phone camera the resolution is still to high to upload to advrider??? Can anyone tell me what to do? I have been to the resizing website but that takes WiFi and a lot of time.
Old 10-11-2014, 03:09 PM   #10
ficoszac
y...ahora???

Oddometer: 170
Wicked

Good look amigo, you w'll love latinamerica, sure¡¡¡¡¡¡¡
ficoszac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 03:32 PM   #11
advmoto66
Vagabond

Oddometer: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta8x View Post
Also I am finding it hard to upload pictures, even at the lowest setting in my phone camera the resolution is still to high to upload to advrider??? Can anyone tell me what to do? I have been to the resizing website but that takes WiFi and a lot of time.
Photobucket or Smugmug automatically resize the pics and then just use the url they provide to insert your pics in the rr.

Tapatalk is a good app for your iPhone or iPad

I'm in and will be following your progress.

advmoto66 screwed with this post 10-11-2014 at 04:28 PM
advmoto66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 11:56 AM   #12
delta8x OP
Gnarly Adventurer

slowly getting it figured out

Thanks advmoto66 I think I have photobucket figured out that was a huge help! Very happy to have you following along with me on this journey!

Please any other advice would be great as this is my first blog!

Quote:
Originally Posted by advmoto66 View Post
Photobucket or Smugmug automatically resize the pics and then just use the url they provide to insert your pics in the rr.

Tapatalk is a good app for your iPhone or iPad

I'm in and will be following your progress.
Old 10-14-2014, 12:12 PM   #13
delta8x OP
Gnarly Adventurer

lo siento mi espanol no bueno!

Thanks Amigo! Great to have you coming along on my journey! My broken Spanglish is slowly coming back to me, I plan on some Spanish studies in Guatemala, I mean how can I pick up on the senoritas with broken Spanish! lol

Yes I love Latin America and the beautiful Senoritas and everyone has been so nice! I do not understand Mexico is poor but everyone so far has wanted to give me stuff! Beers, Margaritas, lunch for being in Mexico 4 days it is amazing the hospitality this Gringo has received!

This photo is from Horizons Unlimited event in Yosemite California a week before I left everything behind for 3 months? 6 months? longer!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ficoszac View Post
Good look amigo, you w'll love latinamerica, sure¡¡¡¡¡¡¡
Attached Images

delta8x screwed with this post 11-06-2014 at 09:03 PM Reason: Photo size
Old 10-14-2014, 12:22 PM   #14
delta8x OP
Gnarly Adventurer

hope to not disappoint!

Thank you! I hope to get some help along the way finding some great places to see and stay. If you have anywhere you would like to see or check out let me know and I will see if I can make it happen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlaps View Post
This is going to be rad
Old 10-14-2014, 04:32 PM   #15
Scubalong
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 834
Thumb

Delta8X
Good to see you make progress....
Just an observation, your pictures are too big to view. Are you using photobulket to insert image with the link?
Enjoy Mexico
Have some tacos and some beers on me
Scubalong is offline   Reply With Quote