User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-27-2014, 02:40 PM   #1
schmoo OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
Where am I?

The title was inspired by an interview I listened to recently with a fellow named Gary Weber. He claims to have eliminated almost all internal dialog through his meditation practice. One of the key tools is to start asking yourself "where am I?" throughout the day. I haven't read his work yet, but that question is a good way to focus on what's happening now.

It's also a good question for me to ask considering that nothing is going to plan. The plan was simple.
  • Leave Toronto at the beginning of November.
  • Ride south.
  • Catch a boat from Panama to Colombia in January.
  • Attend a conference in Bogotá on February 10.
  • Decide what to do next.

The details were to be unscripted.

I left late due to work and moving issues. In order to spend more time working, I'm staying in Sayulita MX for most of December. Riding south I did, more or less. (More west, really.) Then a surprise came with the bike troubles.

So, where am I?

In a motel in Miamisburg, Ohio with a DR650 and a drained battery.

An enlightened being wouldn't feel annoyed. I guess that's proof that I'm unenlightened.
schmoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 02:58 PM   #2
schmoo OP
Adventurer

About the bike troubles:

It's a 2009 DR650 that I bought with 1,100km on the odometer. I suspect that in spite of the diligent use of fuel stabilizer (the previous owner kept detailed notes), the carb still got gunked up due to lack of use. Sometimes, if I forget to turn off the manual petcock, it will start to overflow. If I remember to shut it, it fires up on the first crank without the choke. If I forget...

This afternoon, I was so excited to stop at Waffle House for some brown warm water that I forgot the petcock. It started, but I think I took off too soon—it choked once I got on the road and I couldn't restart. Next time I'll drain it before cranking too much. Next time. (Notice that the author displays the capability to learn from experience.)

Any thoughts on the issue are welcome.

Also, no need to feel sympathy over being stranded on thanksgiving. I'm Canadian. We consume our turkey in October.
Old 11-28-2014, 03:12 AM   #3
JettPilot
ADV Fanatic !!!

Oddometer: 765
One thing you need to know. Starter Motors are designed to be light, and only used to start the bike a few attempts and then need to cool... If you try to start your bike may times, or for a long stretch, without letting it cool a good 5 or 10 minutes, you are very likely to burn your starter out. Then you have an expensive problem, and have to wait for a new one to arrive....

Yep, you defiantly have a problem in the carb, you should be able to park the bike for days without having to turn the fuel off. The good news is this is very simple and easy to fix. Don't just clean it, get a new needle valve for your carb. It is very cheap and small, and easy to replace. No special tools needed.

Mike
JettPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 08:17 AM   #4
Academy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
I wonder if you could solve the drained battery by just jump starting the bike.
Old 11-28-2014, 01:38 PM   #5
schmoo OP
Adventurer

I think I may be back on the road again tomorrow. I called the AAA this morning and they came to give me a jump (thanks, Academy). The motor cranked, but wouldn't catch. I was careful not to overheat the starter (thanks, JettPilot).

The driver called a bunch of shops, but as it's the holiday weekend there weren't many options. They sent out a truck and took my bike back to the garage. There just happened to be a fellow rider working there. He pulled the plugs—they were fouled and oily. With a new set of plugs it was purring away.

I ordered a carb rebuild kit from Procycle and shipped ahead. I hope I can fix the float needle and stop worrying.

Where am I?

In Starbucks in Miamisburg, OH, with an improved sense of well-being.
Old 11-28-2014, 02:37 PM   #6
schmoo OP
Adventurer

I should add a few photos. Unfortunately not a lot of scenery.

This area south of Dayton isn't really set up for pedestrians. I imagine the municipality saves a lot of money on sidewalks here. Without wheels, I saw a lot of this:

The people I've met in Ohio are really friendly and helpful. I'm a CAA member—"Plus" level here gets us motorcycle service, but you need a higher level for the AAA. The local AAA were nice enough to upgrade me even though the normal process is to pay and get reimbursed later.

The towing guy was really helpful too, as was the folks at All-Pro Towing in Centreville OH. They don't normally do motorcycles, but gave it a shot anyway. Everyone is helping me get back on the road as quickly as possible.
Old 11-28-2014, 03:06 PM   #7
Academy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
glad all is well
Old 11-29-2014, 08:51 AM   #8
schmoo OP
Adventurer

I wish this report was a ride report and not a mechanical report. The bike was purring away this morning, but after about 1km, it died again.

Maybe a unique thread idea would be to collect photos of my bike on trucks in different countries around the world.

I actually started looking a Craigslist—no idea if I could plate a bike here with an Ontario driver license.
Old 11-29-2014, 08:52 AM   #9
schmoo OP
Adventurer

Oh, sorry about the giant photo sizes. I'll see if I can fix that... with science!
Old 11-29-2014, 05:06 PM   #10
schmoo OP
Adventurer

Looks like I have to call off my trip for now. I had been planning on meeting a friend in Mexico. I don't want to leave them stranded at the airport, so I think I have to fly down myself. I want to be cautious and not attempt too many miles per day.
Old 11-29-2014, 09:49 PM   #11
Throttlemeister
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,877
To become enlightened about motobikes one must read and learn and then do, same goes for moto maintenance then and only then will the rest of the enlighting take place while riding, helps loads riding down in Latin America for some reason Bikes like your trusty DR are some of the best to learn the process, treat it good and know it well and it will return exponentially

Goodluck with it all, and keep on learning, it will get easier with more knowledge and skill...

You could just stay in Colombia forever after that meeting, it wouldn't be so bad.
Old 11-30-2014, 12:42 PM   #12
schmoo OP
Adventurer

Thanks, Throttlemeister. I just need to actually get to Colombia. Right now, I'll take a break until after Christmas. I had planned on meeting a friend in Mexico and chilling for a while, so I'll have to fly there and survive without a moto.

One lesson learned is to rebuild a carb if the bike has been sitting around for a while. No exceptions—even if it has been running well.

I'll resume near the end of the year... Hopefully it won't be too cold or icy to ride out of Ohio. I'll burn that bridge when I come to it.
Old 12-05-2014, 09:29 PM   #13
schmoo OP
Adventurer

I had joked that I should rename my report to "Dead in Dayton". Well, a lot happened in the past few days and the trip is back from the dead. The new name of the report will be "Dawn of the DR"... or maybe "World War DR". Hmmm... "650 cc's Later". You get the picture. I'll back fill the details as soon as I get a few moments.

Where am I? In a stinky (smoking room) Motel 6 in Laredo, getting ready to cross in the AM.
Old 03-15-2015, 06:22 PM   #14
schmoo OP
Adventurer

I have some free time, so I thought I'd back post a bit to show some photos and possibly share some stories.

December 6, 2014 - Parras de la Fuente

I rode from Laredo to Parras... a bit of a long haul. Since this was apparently the first day that kids were getting off school for the holidays, it turned out to be a very busy day to get the my tourist card and TVIP in Nuevo Laredo. Schizzman had suggested the Colombia crossing, but since I spent the night in Laredo, the downtown bridge was closer. It took about 2.5 to 3 hours to get the paperwork done.

Long lineup

Schizzman had also recommended a nice route to Parras, but with time running short, I skipped the scenic route through General Cepeda.

I rolled into town as the sun was getting low and the pecan trees were bathed in golden light. It was very welcoming after hours of mostly boring highway. I cruised around a bit trying to get my bearings, then stopped in front of an OXXO and pulled out Sjoerd's book.

I must have looked confused—a local fellow came up and introduced himself. He offered to show me a hotel and led me there, driving in his truck.

Parras seems like a really nice town and I'd like to spend a bit more time there.

schmoo screwed with this post 03-15-2015 at 06:34 PM Reason: add photo
Old 03-15-2015, 06:31 PM   #15
schmoo OP
Adventurer

December 7, 2014 - Parras to Durango

Long day heading to Durango. I didn't get to see much of the town as I'm making miles to get to Sayulita to meet a friend.

Nice light as the sun sets outside my hotel (that's the moon in the photo).