User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2010, 09:24 PM   #751
Phlyn' Phil
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 167
Hey man,
did we run into each other in granada the other day, Im pretty sure the guy said his name was anthony, came down from canada, but I thought the bike I saw had a silver tank on it.
then I think we passed each other when I was leaving san juan del sur as you were heading into town today.....
anyways, love your eye for the camera, many of those pics should be in a gallery for sure!
Nica is nice, I crossed over into CR today, my destination to really start exploring. See ya on the road.....
Phil
"One should as a rule respect public opinion in so far as is necessary to avoid starvation and to keep out of prison, but anything that goes beyond this is voluntary submission to an unnecessary tyranny, and is likely to interfere with happiness in all kinds of ways."
Phlyn' Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 09:44 PM   #752
dustycrust
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
i absolutely love this report! it gets me totally stoked to ride my KLR all over the place!
dustycrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 10:03 PM   #753
Motojournalism OP
motojournalism.com

Oddometer: 1,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phlyn' Phil
Hey man,
did we run into each other in granada the other day, Im pretty sure the guy said his name was anthony, came down from canada, but I thought the bike I saw had a silver tank on it.
then I think we passed each other when I was leaving san juan del sur as you were heading into town today.....
Heya Phil,

Yeah man, that was me! I gave ya' a big wave on my way into San Jan. Nice to be on the coast again after that muggy heat.

I saw a silver tanked KLR parked in the hostel you recommended, never saw the rider though

Doing research on Costa Rica now. Will head over tomorrow or next day.

Catch you later!

Way Out West - Canada to the Darien Gap
Follow me on Twitter
Motojournalism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 07:41 AM   #754
homme de fer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antontrax
Good camera gear is tougher than many people think. Somebody mentioned not being allowed to take their D200 on moto-trips. That's like not being allowed to take your Land-Rover off road!
Ya, that was me. I agree with you but, as my wife uses it for her portrait business, I can understand where she is coming from. I'd like to get a D80 as backup as, quite frankly, the D200 simply has a lot of features I simply don't use.

Thanks for showing us how you pack the camera, I'll be sure to use that setup for my trip to Yellowstone this summer.

Marc
homme de fer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 08:09 AM   #755
Eduardo
Eduardo

Oddometer: 685
Hola, I congratulate Mario on his choice of a DR 650. I just love mine. It's currently on it's third trip in as many years to Mexico/Guatemala, and knock on wood, it has not given me any trouble and has performed and responded to all my outrageous demands. Tough, dependable, and capable bike, especially for the money. I get a kick out of how many Mexicans want to buy it. I can't fill up with gas without being asked "how much for the bike". I just laugh and point out the high seat, and their short legs....most couldn't even touch the ground with their feet when mounted!

Feliz viaje, y Saludos Amigos. Eduardo

Escape the Tundra: Tenth winter in Mexico and Guatemala 2009/2010
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=531184
Minnesota to Guatemala 2008/2009 http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=423949
Eduardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 08:38 AM   #756
Motojournalism OP
motojournalism.com

Oddometer: 1,630
@dblarrow
I've got an 85mm 1.8, and an 11-16 2.8 as well. Some might say there's some big gaps there, but I say who needs zoom when you can walk!
(admittedly, I really want the 28-70 2.8 and 80-200 2.8, but than I'd be paying for lenses instead of riding my motorcycle to Nicaragua )

@dustycrust
Welcome to ADV dustycrust
Go for it! Get out there and snap some pics!
We even love to read about daytrips here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eduardo
I just laugh and point out the high seat, and their short legs....most couldn't even touch the ground with their feet when mounted!

Especially people in the Yucatan!
I remember having to duck under the powerlines in Viadollid
Way out West-1290010

Speaking of the DR650, the upcoming post will be featuring friends, food and farkles!

Way Out West - Canada to the Darien Gap
Follow me on Twitter

Motojournalism screwed with this post 02-26-2010 at 09:01 AM
Motojournalism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 01:08 PM   #757
marior97
marior97

Oddometer: 307
Drink some Toas Antonio there gooooooooood !!
Old 02-26-2010, 01:19 PM   #758
homme de fer
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antontrax
@dblarrow
I've got an 85mm 1.8, and an 11-16 2.8 as well. Some might say there's some big gaps there, but I say who needs zoom when you can walk!
(admittedly, I really want the 28-70 2.8 and 80-200 2.8, but than I'd be paying for lenses instead of riding my motorcycle to Nicaragua )
The 50mm 1.8 is a nice lens as well. I'd go for the two 2.8 zooms but the price ... Oof! Then there's the size of those lens; they're like tanks.
Old 02-26-2010, 03:02 PM   #759
Ebbs15
Parttime Saddletramp

Oddometer: 501
Phenomenal pictures! I see someone FINALLY asked what lenses you were using! I've got a D300 with the 18-200 and the 50 1.8 I'm interested in what brand wide angle you have? I looked but Nikon doesn't seem to offer the zoom range you listed in a wide angle... at least not on their current site listing...

I really wanna get better glass, but right now just wanna focus on improving what's behind the camera :) though when I buy I don't wanna waste money if I'm just going to trade up later... ya know?

anyways... amazing trip... phenomenal photos... thanks for posting up!
Old 02-26-2010, 04:18 PM   #760
nigelcorn
Wannabe.

Oddometer: 785
Edit: Nevermind, I found the original picture on flickr that gave more than enough detail.

Thanks for the RR, fantastic pictures, and great story.

nigelcorn screwed with this post 02-27-2010 at 10:07 AM
nigelcorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 04:54 PM   #761
Phlyn' Phil
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 167
Hey cool,
glad to have met ya! I was a couple weeks behind you when you were in antigua, Loved it, but couldnt justify the time this trip for immersion spanish, though the bars and european girls made the main attraction.
Did Tamarindo last night, just wanted to get my own opinion, it was ok, pricey to my pocketbook.
In Montezuma tonight, the hippy contigent is in full force. makes for some good people watching. So far CR is nice, more developed than any other CA country, but make sure you lock up at night.. So I keep getting told...
Might make one more day out of Montezuma, then back to the mainland to hide in the hills....
Safe travels man!
Phil
"One should as a rule respect public opinion in so far as is necessary to avoid starvation and to keep out of prison, but anything that goes beyond this is voluntary submission to an unnecessary tyranny, and is likely to interfere with happiness in all kinds of ways."
Phlyn' Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 06:58 PM   #762
homme de fer
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebbs15
Phenomenal pictures! I see someone FINALLY asked what lenses you were using! I've got a D300 with the 18-200 and the 50 1.8 I'm interested in what brand wide angle you have? I looked but Nikon doesn't seem to offer the zoom range you listed in a wide angle... at least not on their current site listing...

I really wanna get better glass, but right now just wanna focus on improving what's behind the camera :) though when I buy I don't wanna waste money if I'm just going to trade up later... ya know?

anyways... amazing trip... phenomenal photos... thanks for posting up!
He is using a Tokina 11-16mm 2.8 . I looked it up, it is said to be better than the equivalent Nikkor.

Based on Anton's pics, it will be my next lens.
Old 02-27-2010, 08:14 AM   #763
RAGBrian
jonesing for a ride

Oddometer: 936
Thumb Subscribed and enjoying the RR!

Anton, I lurk on the DSN_KLR650 list where your RR was mentioned, and so I checked it out this week. Taken awhile to go through 38 pages, but it was worth it. Subscribed!

Thank you for posting this RR. I am will show this to my daughter who is in college working on a BA in Spanish. We'll look over the posts next week when she is on spring break. I know she will like looking at the pictures and stories of the Mexican and Central American locations. She really digs languages and will love to study the photos.

My son is a budding photographer who is interested in checking out your Flickr site. He shoots now with a D40, uses Lightbox and also has all of my old Nikkor lens. He is currently shooting informal senior portraits at his high school and is getting rave reviews. His gigs are generating $$$ for the next camera, a D700. Your photo's will help both of us on our technique. I am looking at the Lumix/Olympus 4/3rds camera's now for myself. I like the fact it's smaller than a DSLR but a step above the P-n-S out there. Just right for traveling as you have demonstrated.

Sorry for the Dad "brag", but as others have mentioned before me, you are inspiring all of us. I am inspired to keep up the effort to work on my Spanish. Oh, and to get a future trip to the Southern hemisphere. Probably on a KLR650, naturally!

Best wishes for you for the future!
Old 02-27-2010, 09:23 AM   #764
Dblarrow
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
"@dblarrow
(admittedly, I really want the 28-70 2.8 and 80-200 2.8, but than I'd be paying for lenses instead of riding my motorcycle to Nicaragua )"

Thanks for the info. Understand the rather be riding than spending on new glass (well maybe understand). Are you doing most of your street people shots with the 85 or the wides? I ask because I wonder how open people are for close encounters with the wider angles. I am not much of a street photographer and hate to be right in peoples face with a big DSLR. Do you seek permission for close shots?

Thanks again, Chris
Dblarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 10:22 AM   #765
ridingAK
On the Road Less Taken...

Oddometer: 248
Just checking in to say I hope the earthquake in Chile had/will have minimal impact on you. Travel safe.