Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2009, 02:49 PM   #76
Motojournalism OP
motojournalism.com

Oddometer: 1,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by manfromthestix
...both fully loaded with camping crap and probably double the weight of your KLR. I'll bet that headwind was a tad exciting for you! Good decision to get off the main highway.

I've owned several KLRs and they are wonderful bikes, so I'm glad you were able to get yours going again with minimal effort.

Thanks for the great RR, I'm really enjoying the ride! It sure beats what I'm supposed to be working on sitting here at my desk .

Doug
I could have used some ballast on the KLR with that wind!

The more I learn to work on the KLR the more I appreciate it's simplicity. Got the replacement valve cover bolt just now, and the replacement shock will be going in tonight

There you go, I'm paying back for the weeks of office time I've wasted on ADV over the last few years

Way Out West - Canada to the Darien Gap
Follow me on Twitter
Motojournalism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 02:49 PM   #77
MP5
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 253
Absolute perfection !
MP5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 07:30 PM   #78
Motojournalism OP
motojournalism.com

Jasper. A real town, strangely situated in the middle of a National Park. The the town boundraies are set, it cannot expand beyond it's present size.

It's certainly set-up for tourists, but it's not over-the-top tourist trap stuff. It looks like it would be a very liveable place.

The locals seem to prefer bicycles. There are beach cruisers and freeride mountain bikes parked everywhere.

And there's another gorgeous ride here too.

Honda to be sure, CB350? CB250?

Bear-proof garbage cans are common out here in this part of Alberta and into BC.

I'm here in Jasper thanks to my fabulous hosts Doug and Janiene (I think that's your name, Janeine? Correct me if I'm wrong)

They put me up, I'm well fed and shown around town.

I'm staying in the shadow of a giant here, as they've also hosted the legendary Ian Coates
, who stayed here for ten days. He set out from England for four months, and has been riding 'round the world for more than a decade.

Here's the view out the balcony in the morning.

Doug's bike is about four times the size of mine.

Doug is about four times the size of me too. He's your barrel-chested outdoorsman, very much the live life outside type.

Doug rocks. He makes for a great tour guide. Very amiable, has lots of stories and local knowledge, and shows as much of Jasper as we can see, in the short amount of time I have.

I've come equipped only with motorcycle boots and flip-flops for the hike up to the Opal Hills. It's hot, so I opt for the flip-flops and I zip off the legs of my BMW Summer pants. Looking much like a German tourist I flop my way up the trail.

It's a tough slog up the steep incline, but man, does it ever feel good to get some air in the lungs and to get the legs working hard again.

Flip flop, flip flop, to the top. Well not THE top, but the top of a magnificent outlook anyway. I enjoy the cool breeze and a deer steak sandwich.

Time to head back down. I flop back down in a awkward ski-turn fashion. Flop, flop, flop, flop, flop.

Clearly a top-secret hideout:

Here's the hike, from the lake up.

Pure, glacial mountain water. Dip right in with your water bottle, damn refreshing.

Let's just say Doug knows a few shortcuts around the hotel grounds...

And Janiene's cooking twists my rubber arm into staying one more night.

Ohhhhh, Yeahhhh.

Follow me on Twitter

Motojournalism screwed with this post 10-11-2009 at 11:17 AM
Old 10-10-2009, 07:58 PM   #79
fastredbike
recovering

Oddometer: 535
fantastic!

I really enjoyed your maritime trip RR and this is a very impressive follow-up. I'm subscribed and looking forward to your great shots & very readable commentary. I rode my own KLR along that route to Jasper a few years back... breathtaking!
d
fastredbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 05:34 PM   #80
Motojournalism OP
motojournalism.com

In the evening we head out to walk off diner. We come across a loaded Land Rover and have a chat with the Austrians who've just completed their own cross-Canada trip. They're headed for USA and Mexico.

In the distance toward town, we hear a hollow wheezing scream like nothing I've heard. It's a bull elk, bugling it's challenge. They're very common to see this time of year, right inside town.

They're on the verge of being pests. many of the parks aroud town have fences to keep them out. We follow the bizzare wailing till we find the elk near a school yard. of course it's dark, so I didn't bring my camera , But it looks and sounds like this:

(Video by justashooter on pond5.com)

Here's a link to the vid if it dosen't work: http://www.pond5.com/stock-footage/6...-bull-elk.html

We're careful to keep a fence between us and him. The male elk are all charged-up with testosterone this time of year and can be agressive. The big bull decides it's had enough of us and saunters off with confidence, clip clopping down the middle of the street. we follow it for a while till it heads off behind some houses, away from the orange glow of the streetlights. It's not the only elk in town, we can hear more in the distance. People stop their cars to gawk, and a surprised looking cyclist dodges far out of the way. We head back to Doug's place to grab my camera and a couple of bicycles. We head out to find more - we can hear their bugling and locking antlers - but they've gone away up in the hills where they can't be bothered.

Doug and Janeine are off to work and I'm off too. I blast out of town and head for the provincial border.

Boy does this sign make me happy. I'm finally back in my home province.

A fill up for gas in the tiny town of Dunster.

Dunster's commercial district. This is the gas station, grocery, post office, hardware store and train station.

They even have milk at the back.

So long Dunster, back to enjoy the "bluebird" day!

I take some time to explore a gravel road that snakes along the ice-blue Holmes River between the mountains. I gotta move back here!

There's a hotel out here! If I wasn't aiming to hit Prince George tonight, I'd stay here. It looks like it's got character.

I hadn't mentioned it, but Doug is an engineer for VIA Rail. He drives the passenger train from Jasper to Prince George. He said he'd be stopping at McBride at 2:30.

I'd forgotten about that. I figured I'd be long gone by then, but this side trip puts me right on time to make it, so why not!

A short wait at the platform. Here she be.

Man, I dig trains as much as planes. Rolling along to the platform.

I get the grand tour.

Love that old style

Gotta see the engine.

Hehe, I feel like a kid again, this is great!

Not a bad office to have.

Thanks again Doug, that was super-cool.

For the first time across Canada I have... A TAILWIND! It zips me along toward home.

The thermal pockets through the hills into Prince George are incredible, the drop from cold to warm feels like stepping inside from the winter. This happens over each hill coming out of the shade into the sun.

My parents live in Prince George, I haven't told them I've left Montreal. I show up in the driveway "What's for dinner?" They are suitably shocked.

Follow me on Twitter

Motojournalism screwed with this post 10-11-2009 at 05:50 PM
Old 10-11-2009, 06:38 PM   #81
rubRsidedown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,700
WELL, what's for dinner?
"We don't quit playing because we grow old, we grow old because we quit playing."
rubRsidedown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 07:32 PM   #82
Motojournalism OP
motojournalism.com

Well, today is Canadian Thanksgiving,
So we got turkey!!!
Time to go upstairs and document dinner

But tomorrow I'll write-up in the stuff I did to the bike while I've been here in Prince George, I'll be ready to hit the road again this tuesday or wednesday. Time to head way down south, It's COLD to be on a bike this far north!

Follow me on Twitter
Old 10-11-2009, 09:01 PM   #83
E-Bum
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 686
Awesome pictures again. Iwas almost right where you are about 3 months ago, although I came from the Pacific Northwest side... We headed down south at this point too. It'll be interesting to see the places we went to in your wonderful photography... What does your plan look like?
E-Bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 09:25 PM   #84
Motojournalism OP
motojournalism.com

(Man, I gotta figure out if I can turn-off the autoplay on that screaming elk vid...)

Thanks E-Bum!

I'm going to follow the warm weather to the Southwest US next.
The route unfolds...<br />
 on Twitpic

Please, if anyone knows the Western US, check out my trip planning thread!
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=510742

I'll be hitting up the tent-space list too. What a fantastic way to travel! Much better to meet the local riders than just stay in some hotel somewhere.

Follow me on Twitter
Old 10-12-2009, 10:43 AM   #85
Dave Noel
Giv'er

Oddometer: 690
I can see why you want to head south, I have heard of lots of snow and cold out in the prairies and Alberta.

Dave

Save $5 on a SmugMug account when you use this coupon: dSt7AIzm9VxEg
Dave Noel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 02:38 PM   #86
spa1403
nobby

Oddometer: 43
what a good report and pic's
Old 10-12-2009, 04:04 PM   #87
hardwaregrrl
ignore list

Oddometer: 7,179
Wonderful!!! As usual your photos are the bomb!!! If you're going to be in the southeast and need a couch to crash on in Atlanta PM me. Good luck Anthony!!! And thanks for the awesome RR!!!
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 06:44 PM   #88
Motojournalism OP
motojournalism.com

OK here's where things stand:

I've never lived this far north in B.C., but it's where my folks are now. That's home enough for me.

Time to tackle the bike maintainance!

First thing I do is look for a new front tire. None of the dealers up here carry Continental tires, I'm looking to try a TKC80. I order one from Ontario. It's gonna be one week.

Then I change the oil, haven't done it since Montreal, it's past due. Air filter is cleaned and oiled.

Time to tackle the valves. I've never done that, but between the manual, the Marknet site, the Youtube tutorials, and a shim calculator it's not difficult.

I order three replacement shims from the local Kawasaki dealer. There's going to be a week wait on those too...

I'm happy to have a good visit though. I take some time to work on the ride report and process all the photos. A bit of rough trip planning, a bit of research.

We go check out some music and otherwise keep ourselves busy

The valve shims arrive early! Joy! Rapture!

The dealer charges $21 each! Boo! Hiss!

The valves slip into place easily, the engine turns over by hand without a hitch. I dig into the valve cover bolts with a wrench, don't want those coming loose. Whoops, the wrench slipped on that last one better leave it alone. Brain: "No, no. you don't need to check it. Everything's fine, let's ride."

Tank is back on, everything buttoned up. Bike starts better than ever! It's probably the first valve check it's ever had.

Time to get gas! Hmm, a bit of hesitation when I get on the throttle. I throw five bucks of gas at it.

Hello, why is my bike smoking...

Sh*t... Right side of the engine is dripping in oil, all over the exhaust header on to the ground.

I gently ride home to source the problem.

The blood drains to my feet with visions of the Kawasaki dealer rethreading the engine case, and me spending the six months of winter in Prince George...

Fek,fek,fek. I vent off on various forums "HELP! Whaddo I do!"

The motorcycle gods have smiled upon me, the following morning I'm able to back the broken bolt out with ease, using a nail and a pair of tweezers... Whew...

It will be one more week to order the bolt

I need a drink. (Located on the Hart Highway)

Ah well, at least I've got cheap accomodation...

The weather is gorgeous, though it's getting colder. I'm lucky to be able to pick out an electric vest for my birthday, It's a BlackJack, made nearby in Errington BC. It's inexpensive and well made. Too bad I can't try it out...

We check-out some cool stuff out at the Huble Homestead.

Makes for a great photo-session.

Man, they don't make farm equipment as deadly as they used to...

Sweeeet, fresh rubber. Happy to try something less scary on the gravel.

Alright! A used shock I was supposed to pick-up near Calgary arrives in the mail.

My shock has been stuck on it's softest setting since I've had it.

Hallelujah! The frickin' bolt arriveth!

An torque wrench is aquired, thanks Dad. I discover 69 inch-pounds is far less than I thought. Gasket sealer is applied and things are done right.

Further fatherly assistance helps the shock to go in without struggle.

I inspect the swingarm bolt and ignore it.
This will be tackled in the future.
On a hot sunny beach.
Next to a well-stocked Kawasaki dealer.
I see bikini girls serving drinks somewhere around here too...
Ahem.

We celebrate a fully-functional bike with meat and ale. Yum.

The weather window is closing, I will leave tuesday or wednesday.

It's Thanksgiving up here in Canada (we have an earlier harvest). If I'm lucky, maybe I'll get an American Thanksgiving too!

Follow me on Twitter

Motojournalism screwed with this post 10-12-2009 at 06:58 PM
Old 10-12-2009, 07:04 PM   #89
hardwaregrrl
ignore list

Oddometer: 7,179
Hey man, happy thanksgiving. What is that salad?! I want it. let me know whats in it so I can recreate. Thanks for sharing, its awesome!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antontrax
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 07:25 PM   #90
rubRsidedown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,700
Looks like you got a Conti. TKC 80. Let us know how you like it.
Oh and BTW, your Thanksgiving dinner looked scrumptious.
"We don't quit playing because we grow old, we grow old because we quit playing."
rubRsidedown is offline   Reply With Quote