Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2013, 10:40 PM   #1156
Motojournalism OP
motojournalism.com

Oddometer: 1,630
I need some mountains and some ocean - time to head... West.

DSC_2810.jpg

DSC_2941.jpg by Motojournalism.com, on Flickr

DSC_2956.jpg by Motojournalism.com, on Flickr

Way Out West - Canada to the Darien Gap
Follow me on Twitter
Motojournalism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 10:45 PM   #1157
drrags
Dorkus Malorkus

Oddometer: 1,810
You are welcome to crash here in Reno.
drrags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 04:53 PM   #1158
hardwaregrrl
ignore list

Oddometer: 7,240
Sweet!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motojournalism View Post

DSC_2941.jpg by Motojournalism.com, on Flickr
Looks identical to my buddy's KLR fairing mod.

photo 4EA3F6B3-A326-48AD-9A59-597EF24EE849-401-0000001EC46E6C10_zps48d2b7d2.jpg
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 09:41 PM   #1159
Motojournalism OP
motojournalism.com

OK, bear with me, going to see if it's possible to type a decent update with the Tapatalk app on my iPod touch...

OK. Just spent 8 minutes to type two sentences. Deleted those. Will have to cut to the chase!

Twitter better for brief on the road updates. Possible to automate twitter to post tweets here in this ride report? Let me know if you know...

Looks like it might be possible to do the reverse and tweet an ADV post. Not ideal.

In brief: LEDs arrived last minute. Installed day before departure. "Crack, poof!" Smoke from battery When starter hit! Frustration and grumpiness ensue. Beer follows to reduce grump factor. Brain grinds overnight. Realize battery terminals filthy. Clean up, bike starts!

Off to ElRohos place to reinstall lights. Everything A OK. Stopped now to visit Smilin' Ed. Heading as far west as possible tomorrow am. Aiming for aerostitch warehouse in a few days

Follow me on Twitter
Old 08-26-2013, 04:40 PM   #1160
Tropic-Of-Canada
Thread Derailleur

Oddometer: 845
Safe Travels bro, Can't wait to ride with you!

What lights did you end up getting?
Tropic-Of-Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 12:21 AM   #1161
Boots...No Bike
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motojournalism View Post
I know the feeling!
Your name's on my "Buy Beer for" list.... it's growing. we need to get a few folks together and celebrate!

Never commented until now but first began reading your RR when you were heading from BC into Washington State (10-11-2009)
& like so many others have said, "I've been here all weekend, only stopped to eat and go to the bathroom!!"

I still come back sometimes to re-read a few pages and look at the incredible photos I know so well. Excellent work!

Following your twitter... have a great ride way out west! See you somewhere between the big cedars and the salt water.
Boots...No Bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 10:15 AM   #1162
Tropic-Of-Canada
Thread Derailleur

Oddometer: 845
Woah, Moto almost rode into a tornado in Hill City Minnesota!

Tropic-Of-Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 11:30 AM   #1163
Dr. Benny
Enjoying the Journey

Oddometer: 857
Can't wait to hear all about your new adventure! I hope you have many wild and wonderful adventures!
Old 11-22-2013, 09:50 AM   #1164
Motojournalism OP
motojournalism.com

The delayed departure...

IMG_0643.jpg

Finally some movement after the morning at El Roho's garage and and evening at Smilin' Ed's workshop. Dodgy GPS and battery wiring has been sorted, lights have been aimed, fenders trimmed.

Smilin' Ed's latest aquisition

DSC_2981.jpg

Some westward motion feels good after the hang-ups. Off at dawn, zig-zagging through the farm fields, briefly crossing paths with the TCAT. Then it's on to the familiar grey ribbon of the Trans-Canada - right now some distance needs to be done.

The clouds move in and the rain gear goes on, I'm quite comfortable till the rain becomes too heavy to see the road through the visor.

I crouch in the bush like a caveman with a helmet while lightning splits a tree on the hill across the highway. WHAM!

GOPR0212.jpg

On and on, west and west, the sky clears and the sun sets. Thirty-six dollars for an unserviced campsite Parks Ontario? I'll be sleeping in the bushes.

This was one of those uphill paths that looks solid till you hit it... Nearly lost it, but I pinned the throttle and was able to paddle my way up to the top. Happy to see that the new Jessee luggage doesn't get in the way of my legs.

DSC_2997.jpg

IMG_0668.jpg

Lovely spot but for the hypodermic needles, the highway, and the 2, 3 and 5am freight trains. I tell ya, earplugs and whisky is where it's at.

Funny how you can put up a bit of orange fabric, throw your stuff in like you always do and it becomes home. Somewhere comfortable, where you can relax.

DSC_2992.jpg

Follow me on Twitter
Old 11-23-2013, 12:07 PM   #1165
Derwood
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Yes! Can't wait for more. As always, thanks for bringing us along.
Old 11-25-2013, 04:11 AM   #1166
Irish Cdn Lad
Adventurer

Oddometer: 3
Be safe, the weather has turned nasty, up here.
Irish Cdn Lad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 09:37 AM   #1167
Motojournalism OP
motojournalism.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Cdn Lad View Post
Be safe, the weather has turned nasty, up here.
Ah, I've neglected to mention that this part of the ride was back in August and September. The bike is away for the season, and its time to do a good job of the ride report! Glad you guys are along for the ride

Follow me on Twitter
Old 11-26-2013, 09:38 AM   #1168
Motojournalism OP
motojournalism.com

Ontario goes on like a landscape on a roll. It's a different experience to travel through a place for a second time. Not a bad feeling, it just lacks that bite and excitement of discovery. It seems to be replaced with a greater recognition of where you are in your own mental map. "Oh yeah, there's those rocky outcroppings, i'm in this part of the world"

G0050241.jpg

Gas stations are scarce in these parts and the bike is on reserve this morning. Fuel trumps breakfast on today's list of things to do so I backtrack to the nearest station. The finesse needed to top up the gas tank with a station pump is something only a motorcyclist could appreciate. Each pump is different and you've got to feather that lever like a clutch. Some have a beautiful smooth action and others are ON and OFF like a switch, splashing fuel indiscriminately. The fuel is right to the brim now, I turn around to hang up the pump.
*CRUNCH*

Fuck.

With the extra weight the new luggage has allowed me to carry, the balance point of the bike on the kickstand has changed. Add a slightly off camber slab of concrete and the weight of 23 litres of fuel... I turn back to see the beast lying prone - fresh fuel escaping freely on to the pavement. I slap the gas cap shut and some folks are at hand to help scoop the bike back up. Bit of a rough start.

IMG_0675.jpg

A little dissapointing, but not too bad.

IMG_0674.jpg

Damn. The rack is bent though. It looks like there's a hairline fracture on the weld too. you can see the aluminum colour at the join. I'll have to keep an eye on that.

IMG_0678.jpg

There's time for a hot lakeside breakfast of oatmeal on the JetBoil while I wait for the fog to lift. Then it's back to the road. Distance, distance, distance. Go West.

G0050237.jpg

G0050393.jpg

This is one of those outposts you will see all across northern Canada. Always on a huge dirt lot, these places will supply you with food, fuel, liquor, hunting and fishing gear. All kinds of shit for cars, ATVs and snowmobiles. Axes and chainsaws. This is your last chance before heading north into the wild.

G0050493.jpg

The day is heating up and the temperature guage is sitting higher than it should be. Turns out the radiator fan stopped working, but a quick swap of the
the old-style glass fuse sorts the problem

G0050504.jpg

G0060514.jpg

80km of smooth, fast gravel is made a bit hair-raising by having to share it with the massive trucks. It's the familiar routine of getting AS FAR out of the way as you can when they blast past, then crawling along the shoulder through the white-out till you can see again.

G0060522.jpg

G0060568.jpg

G0060576.jpg

DSC_3001.jpg

DSC_3005.jpg

Passed through Chapleau, taking a quick look for NoFate, but no sign of him. Maybe he was up in his plane or out on his Triumph?
Time to make time. West, west,west.
IMG_0696.jpg

DSC_3010.jpg

DSC_3012.jpg

DSC_3011.jpg

DSC_3017.jpg

DSC_3019.jpg

I fall in to the same old habit of pushing till sundown, half heartedly looking for camping spots, till fatigue convinces me to look for a motel. At this point I'll balk at the $90 price tag and head up some dirt-road in the dark and happily flop down the tent and settle in for the night, hoping that I've not set up camp in somebody's driveway. IMG_0704.jpg

IMG_0705.jpg

Follow me on Twitter
Old 11-26-2013, 01:48 PM   #1169
Gastonian
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
When I got the email this morning that you were posting another ride report I was stoked!
I joined ADVrider to follow this thread, and have read hundreds of ride reports since.
Anyway, I just wanted to say thanks for taking us along on another journey!
Gastonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 05:37 PM   #1170
RedDogAlberta
High Plains Drifter

Oddometer: 5,809
Great to see you back on the road.