Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Australia
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2009, 03:05 AM   #1
Big Chris OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
Crawling under a house: what safety precautions?

I'm a foreigner so excuse the dumbass question.

I need to crawl under a house to investigate the plumbing. Its a brick veneer house on concrete stumps about 600mm high.

What are the precautions you take? I know one danger is redbacks (seen 2 in the garden over the last year).

The house is in Northern Suburbs of Melbourne, so that excludes the tropical nasties.

What are the other dangers? (and don't say dropbears......or if you do, tell me the precautions needed to protect against the rare species of sub-floorboard dropbears)

Is thick overalls enough? Or do most things try to run away from you? What do the guys who do this for a living do?
Big Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 03:12 AM   #2
HamoAus
Springfield Lakes

Oddometer: 599
Thick overalls, wear work gloves and a hat and you should be right. If you're really concerned about what's under there then get a dust mask. Don't forget yer torch.

Cheers
Hamo
HamoAus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 03:14 AM   #3
DMME
Old Fart, Older Bike

Oddometer: 270
AND tie a string to where you go in so you can folow it back out if the torch goes out .

Overalls and gloves pretty well covers it,the dropbears are scared of men in overalls
DMME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 03:17 AM   #4
XTJohn
DIGITI EXTRACTUUS

Oddometer: 577
Many houses will have been sprayed underneath for termite & insect control. Overalls, gloves and a dustmask will give you the protection you need. Also If its an older house there may be asbestos fragments/dust present. Use a decent light and keep your eyes open for nasties and you'll be fine.
Old 10-01-2009, 03:24 AM   #5
jimkat
jim

Oddometer: 613
Mate. I am an electrician in Victoria and I can tell you that the redbacks will not bother you, The tiger snakes hopefully wont bother you, Huntsmans are scary but harmless, Brown snakes don,t often live under houses but there is a very scary THING under most Victorian houses that you can not see but once you encounter it you will never want to go down under again.v
jimkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 03:26 AM   #6
Oz Nutter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,119
Thumb Cardboard liner for overalls

Put a big peice of card board down your overalls,stops punctures.
You can also, use cardboard to slide on.
I worked for a housing removalist after the Sydney olympics.
The bulgarian weightlifters house had heaps of needles underneath.
Most of the others just had bongs and heaps of used frangers.
Oz Nutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 03:35 AM   #7
hoyks
Tightass KLR rider

Oddometer: 810
I lock the dog in the shed so it doesn't slobber all over your face, overalls if you have them, I would just so I didn't fill my undies with dirt or take skin off on old builders rubble, and a torch.

You could go gloves if you are worried about spiders or splinters from the joists, which is probably a bigger chance than a spider bite.

Glasses/goggles can be a good idea if you are making dust or flicking dirt around as it is hard to get your eye clean with dirty fingers. A plastic helmet on backwards will stop you leaving hair samples on the joists too, but probably overkill.
hoyks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 03:39 AM   #8
TomTom63
Motorradfahrer

Oddometer: 1,629
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimkat
Mate. I am an electrician in Victoria and I can tell you that the redbacks will not bother you, The tiger snakes hopefully wont bother you, Huntsmans are scary but harmless, Brown snakes don,t often live under houses but there is a very scary THING under most Victorian houses that you can not see but once you encounter it you will never want to go down under again.v
Reminder to myself: When relocating to Australia, move into high rise condominium
TomTom63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 04:12 AM   #9
Shakey!
Stop Whining!

Oddometer: 497
Problem Solved.........

Call me a prick, but when I had to run an erthanet cable from one end of the house to the other, I just sent the 10yo young bloke under to do it.......
Kawasaki KLX250S
Shakey! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 04:21 AM   #10
Andy-Gadget
Any bike can go anywere

Oddometer: 1,321
Metal cable conduit, worn insulation, take one of these with you, http://www.voltstick.co.uk/
'95 Sport 1100 Guzzi,'84 Cali 2 Guzzi, '95 Guzzi mille, '84 R65LS, '84 R100, '82 R100RS, '05 DL650, '72 Bultaco Sherpa T 350, '78 Montessa 348, "00 XR650R
Andy-Gadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 04:22 AM   #11
mcfear
now known as many things

Oddometer: 2,588
haha i tied a length to the the dog and threw the ball clear through. dog ran the entire length dragging the rope. mate on other side stops dog unties rope :) simple

Quote:
Originally Posted by tHEtREV View Post
mcfear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 04:22 AM   #12
RockyBoy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakey!
Call me a prick, but when I had to run an erthanet cable from one end of the house to the other, I just sent the 10yo young bloke under to do it.......
You aren't a prick, you are a bloody genius.
Old 10-01-2009, 04:27 AM   #13
jimkat
jim

Oddometer: 613
Quote:
CAT SHIT
jimkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 04:47 AM   #14
woopwoop
will think for food

Oddometer: 5,156
Quote:
CAT SHIT
Oh, is that all, I thought it was something that really stunk,-- like--, maybe,-- a stash of Beta tapes of "Kingswood Country?
woopwoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 04:52 AM   #15
trokel
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 917
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy-Gadget
Metal cable conduit, worn insulation, take one of these with you, http://www.voltstick.co.uk/
How old is the place? If it is old enough and does have old wiring in steel conduit then you do need to be very cautious of it as it can become live and put you at risk of an electric shock. Otherwise like everyone else has said some good protective clothing, gloves and a dust mask are a good idea. Builders often tend to leave a lot of rubbish under houses so rusty nails, broken glass, broken concrete etc. embedded in the dirt are some of the most common hazards. Spiders usually tend to inhabit the areas closest to the walls so keep an eye out and kill them as you go.
trokel is offline   Reply With Quote