User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2009, 08:22 AM   #1
ruedaloca OP
just me

Oddometer: 446
DEKA battery ? anyone has used it ?

Hi, The dealer say I have a bad battery right now. They want $300 !!!! for the BMW battery.

I've look for the Yuasa YTX14-BS but it is not available in my country and for sure I won't find the famous between here Odyssey. I have found the DEKA ETX14, direct replacement for the YTX14-BS, made in USA, maintenance free. I have found a pair of other batteries but without warranty and extrange brand names (chinese made for sure). Another is a brand Hi Tec or something like that, made in USA, too.

I'm not going to pay for the BMW, so I'm deciding for the DEKA, but I never has seen a comment here about that brand related to the 12GS. Has anyone used this brand???
Looking for a house or apartment at El Salvador ? your solution is here !!
ruedaloca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 01:09 PM   #2
rdwalker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,529
Daniel: I have seen DEKA automotive batteries sold in auto parts stores here, but never used them. However, if I were you, I'd get it - especially if there is a warranty attached.

I am guessing that you'll pay between $100 - $150 equivalent; if so, even if it craps out after two seasons, you will be ahead of the game compared to the BMW part.

When going to pick up the battery, have a look at the terminals - they should be approximately in the same position as the OEM ones, or you will have trouble wiring it in. Same deal with physical dimensions, there is a bit of leeway, but not much.

By the way, there are quite a few reports of trouble with Odyssey products on the forums. I am not sure if that means that the battery is famous or infamous. I do not know if it is the battery or the marketing that is good.

For other choices: I use a WestCo battery from BeemerBoneyard, but I do not think that they ship out of country. Batteries are heavy and postage will not be cheap.
rdwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 02:16 PM   #3
ruedaloca OP
just me

That's what I have found too. Many people use DEKA batteries in his car to reduce weight for racing with modified cars.
But I was wondering why anyone here use it in his bike, since I understand it is equivalent to YUASA YTX14-BS. It seems the people here use this last one or the oddysey.
Old 10-01-2009, 02:23 PM   #4
edge2edge
Evil Scotsman

Oddometer: 181
I have NOT used it on the GSA, but I have a Deka in my built ZX-12R. It is lighter, puts out significantly more steam, is military grade, and a few bucks cheaper than Odessy Batteries. I have a friend who works at Battery World and he recommended the Deka. He said it will do everything the Odessy can do for less money and a little less weight.

Now I am sure that there is an application for the R1200 and I am going to pick up a Deka during the winter down time. If it can turn over my highly modified high compression ZX-12R motor, I am sure it can do a twin!

Not dissing Odessy Batteries just providing a less expensive option that does exactly the same job!

edge2edge screwed with this post 10-01-2009 at 10:37 PM
edge2edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 02:28 PM   #5
JetSpeed
Naviator

Oddometer: 2,943
I buy whatever I find where ever I happen to be so I can get going, if I buy a crappy battery I always have the best intentions of replacing it with a good one as soon as possible but I never seem to get around to it.

I've had cheap no-name crap batteries last for years and I've had a couple expensive name brand batteries shit the sack in a few months, but most batteries (regardless of the perceived quality) normally last a couple of years.
Old 10-01-2009, 03:02 PM   #6
dsump
Longtime Lurker

Oddometer: 81
I have a DEKA ETX14 in my 08 KLR and it is a nice battery. I can compare it to my Optima in the quad. I keep it on a tender when the bike is not in use. The battery was a drop in replacement and is sealed no Maintenance, my kind of battery.
dsump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 05:47 PM   #7
ruedaloca OP
just me

For the records !!

I got one, the DEKA ETX14 AGM battery works without modifications on the GS. Exact dimensions to the OEM.

I think it is better to the Yuasa ytx14-bs, since this one is liquid acid.
Hey ! don't mind the direct connections !!

Old 10-12-2009, 08:00 PM   #8
tslewisz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,347
Quote:
Originally Posted by edge2edge
I have NOT used it on the GSA, but I have a Deka in my built ZX-12R. It is lighter, puts out significantly more steam, is military grade, and a few bucks cheaper than Odessy Batteries. I have a friend who works at Battery World and he recommended the Deka. He said it will do everything the Odessy can do for less money and a little less weight.

Now I am sure that there is an application for the R1200 and I am going to pick up a Deka during the winter down time. If it can turn over my highly modified high compression ZX-12R motor, I am sure it can do a twin!

Not dissing Odessy Batteries just providing a less expensive option that does exactly the same job!
'Nother old ZX-12R.ORG guy in the mix. I'll be...
tslewisz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 10:02 AM   #9
XPLORZ
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by edge2edge

Your ZX-12R and your R1200GS Adv take the same battery.
XPLORZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 05:29 PM   #10
bykemike
"ready to navigate"

Oddometer: 300
I'm using a DEKA in my '07. I am in the marine business and DEKA is big in marine batteries. I paid 60 bucks for mine (gel) and it is an exact fit and works great.

Mike

about as funny as a guy with a squirt can of FD fluid at a BMW rally
bykemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 06:01 PM   #11
edge2edge
Evil Scotsman

Oddometer: 181
tslewisz and XPLORZ, Oh yeah, and ole Reddawg, it is like of ZX12R.org home week!

Still recovering from a major get-off in August, way way out in the boonies...alone. Not so bright, but the Grizzly's did not get me!

Going to get Deka's for the GSA and my wife's F800GS...

Doing a major trip next year so may have to visit ya all...
edge2edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 09:49 PM   #12
MeterPig
Meh

Oddometer: 17,089
Because this thread came up on 1150rt etx14l..." I will say it won't fit a 2002 1150rt. Too wide.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk