User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2009, 02:19 PM   #1
5Chord OP
No Short-Term Memory

Oddometer: 1,037
Motovation MX School Class V

I was having trouble getting my bike fixed...

The first problem is a leaking fork seal that has been spraying fork oil all over my front disk brake. This severely hampers the use of the brake (not that I'm going all that fast) and it's just a matter of time before the fork runs dry. It looks like a major pain to do myself. The second is a very high idling/running engine. It started 2 weeks ago but got progressively worse until the engine spun out of control going up a face of a jump. I had to pull in the clutch to keep from totally launching. After a hard brake the engine almost returned to normal but I decided to get that taken care of ASAP....

I had wanted to bring it to a an MX oriented Yamaha shop nearby, but the owner whom I trust because he's a racer himself, was on vacation this week so I figured I'd bring it to a Honda dealership in Mamaroneck. They were so rude that I wouldn't let them fix my bike for free. So that meant no class this week (or so I thought).

I had not communicated this properly to Rich, who had me set up to ride with his protege' Ronnie Stewart (No relation to Bubba). Having no bike, but wanting to get another perspective on the sport, I asked if I could ride Rich's CRF150F. He had ridden it on a previous lesson or two and I knew at this point the bike would be a welcome change from the two stroke mini-beast that had been flogging me around the track all this time. Rich said no problem and Wednesday at 1pm I loaded up the van (sans bike) and headed over to Englishtown NJ for my fifth MX lesson.
Attached Images

5Chord screwed with this post 10-02-2009 at 08:53 AM
5Chord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 02:22 PM   #2
5Chord OP
No Short-Term Memory

When I got there, the practice session was in full swing...I wandered around taking pictures of the people and bikes....I had my MX pants on so I blended in
Attached Images

Old 10-01-2009, 02:24 PM   #3
5Chord OP
No Short-Term Memory

This is really a great family sport....
Attached Images

Old 10-01-2009, 02:28 PM   #4
5Chord OP
No Short-Term Memory

This kid is about 10 years old and going to launch himself off the first part of The Staircase...........
Attached Images

Old 10-01-2009, 07:14 PM   #5
5Chord OP
No Short-Term Memory

It was soon time for my lesson and I headed over to the practice track. I might explain that on Wednesdays the Main Track is used for practice and the practice tracks are used for private lessons (me).

Ronnie was just finishing up with his noon lesson and waved to me as I drove into the spot adjacent to him. I pulled on my boots, jersey, chest protector and gloves and walked over to Ronnie's van. We had a brief conversation about my (lack of) experience and what to expect today.

He gave me a once over on the CRF150F and it had a few similarities to the CR85RB I normally ride like seat height and color, but this air cooled 4stroke is a total pussycat by comparison. It took a bit getting used to though with the clutch grabbing when it was just about fully released and the front brake being extra touchy in comparison to the fork-oil-soaked front disc on the race bike. After a few laps around the trash cans I was fine. Then I did a few dozen more.

We discussed position and the fact that I was not using enough front brake in the turns and I was taking too much advantage of the engine-braking on the 4 stroke. I'm also not getting forward enough on the seat in the turns......We then did a complete lap of the expert practice track (I'm not sure why we never use the intermediate practice track) and Ronnie picked a segment to work on.

This first piece started right before a table top and extended into a right hander and then over another table top.

5Chord screwed with this post 10-02-2009 at 12:31 PM
Old 10-01-2009, 07:50 PM   #6
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,171
Looks like a good time

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 07:14 AM   #7
5Chord OP
No Short-Term Memory

We did this loop about 20 times before we moved on. I definitely need to get more aggressive out there. He's right, I'm going so slow I don't even need the front brake. Funny, it doesn't feel as slow as it looks You can hear the bike sputtering a bit when the when pinned....We found out a bit later that the choke was in the middle position....I thought the bike was in need of a tune up.

5Chord screwed with this post 10-02-2009 at 07:37 AM
Old 10-02-2009, 07:23 AM   #8
5Chord OP
No Short-Term Memory

This next section starts right before a table top and then into a left-handed berm and off the track..........

Old 10-02-2009, 07:26 AM   #9
5Chord OP
No Short-Term Memory

God I'm so slow it's hard to watch! Do they have a Double D class?

Old 10-02-2009, 07:35 AM   #10
5Chord OP
No Short-Term Memory

We take a break about 5pm for some water....Even though it's getting cold, I'm soaked with sweat. I will not practice without a camelback again.

We discuss bikes and where I'm at. He mentions to me he has 3 factory race bikes for sale at rock bottom prices! Mmmmm. Here's me putting around on his RMZ450 practice bike.(Later he wheelied the whole track with it).....it looks like a steal at $3500 but he has two 250s at similar prices.....Decisions decisions

Old 10-02-2009, 12:27 PM   #11
5Chord OP
No Short-Term Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikePilot
Looks like a good time
Thanks man, it sure was! Look for a (shakey and long) 10 min vid of me running my first "moto" (4 laps around the practice track) with Ronnie filming and riding at the same time!

5Chord screwed with this post 10-04-2009 at 06:33 PM
Old 10-06-2009, 08:52 AM   #12
5Chord OP
No Short-Term Memory

Here's the final video....It's about a 10 min long video of me putting the track together......Ronnie was just great. He hammered home a few points I was having trouble with and was very supportive when I felt like a total nOOb. I look forward to training with him again.

I had the privilege of watching Ronnie in the Kawasaki Race Of Champions this past Sunday @ Englistown NJ and he is a true professional. He finished 15th in the first Open A/Expert class after starting about dead last, 8th in the first 250 Pro/Expert class, 5th in the second Open Pro/Expert class and 10th in the second and last race of the day in the Pro/Expert 250 class. Those motos are 12 laps EACH !! If I buy one of his Bikes, I'm going to have to get him to autograph it ;-) Here's his video work

5Chord screwed with this post 10-06-2009 at 09:19 AM