User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2009, 01:11 PM   #1
wildbill OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
Need advice on K1200s

I'm looking at a 2005 K1200S with about 10k miles. This year is the first or second year for this desihn and may have issues. What has been your ownership experience with a 2005, like recalls, problems, reliability, etc. I know the review of a 2008 K1200S on BMW superbike said it was much improved. Looking for a cheap low mileage K1200S. May have to wait a couple years for a 2008. The silver & yellow really does something for me.

Thanks

2012 Goldwing
wildbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 03:35 PM   #2
FlagRS
Gone to the Dogs

Oddometer: 1,174
Check over here http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/cmps_index.php?
They should have lots of answers for you.

Check here too http://www.i-bmw.com/
FlagRS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 04:30 PM   #3
Unleaded
Unit Train

Oddometer: 805
As the owner of a silver/yellow '08 K/S, let me first commend you on your impeccable taste.

In reality, there were some subtle improvements made through the model years, but I'll second the "I-BMW" link above. Some great people over there who really know their K-bikes - plenty of whom ride the earlier (05/06) versions with no issues at all.
Old 10-02-2009, 06:52 PM   #4
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 33,358
The fuel injection kind of sucks. It's abrupt and then sometimes it feels delayed.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 10:54 PM   #5
sfarson
On a Ride

Oddometer: 2,128
wildbill... Zero issues with an '05 K12S. Nothing but routine maintenance. An outstanding bike. If you can score a test ride on the '05 you're looking at, looks to be in good shape, and it delivers what you're looking for, have no hesitations.
sfarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 09:18 PM   #6
spanky
Well, maybe...

Oddometer: 1,764
Wildbill,

I have an '06 and had some of the fueling issues many refer to on various forums. The local dealer updated the fuel mapping software when I had the 6K service done and all is well.

FYI: I bought mine used with 3.8K on the odometer and love it with the exception that is goes through rear tires like crazy. Try the k-bike forum, lots of good people there and lots of good tech stuff as well as i-bmw.com. Good luck with your decision.

spanky screwed with this post 10-04-2009 at 07:01 AM
spanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 09:30 PM   #7
wildbill OP
Adventurer

Hey, thanks for the useful feedback. I'm finding that clutch problems are common with 2005-2008. There are also cam chain as well as the immobilizer problems. I see many for sale on cycle trader, probably trying to unload the problem bikes.

Still I'm willing to give a low mileage one a try. I think the benefits will out weight the potential problems. I've always had good luck with mechanical issues anyway. Never had a problem bike. Although my '92 GS airhead did have some issues.

Keep the advice coming and I'll let you know what I snag.

2012 Goldwing
Old 10-03-2009, 09:32 PM   #8
wildbill OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfarson
wildbill... Zero issues with an '05 K12S. Nothing but routine maintenance. An outstanding bike. If you can score a test ride on the '05 you're looking at, looks to be in good shape, and it delivers what you're looking for, have no hesitations.
What do you think I should pay for an 05 with lss than 10k miles?

2012 Goldwing
Old 10-04-2009, 07:08 AM   #9
spanky
Well, maybe...

Oddometer: 1,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill
Hey, thanks for the useful feedback. I'm finding that clutch problems are common with 2005-2008. There are also cam chain as well as the immobilizer problems. I see many for sale on cycle trader, probably trying to unload the problem bikes.
Of all these maladies you mention it's the immobilizer ring that's the worst. I've read about tranny problems and most were taken care of under warranty, even a few where the bike was on its second owner. There are many fine examples out there and this is a great time to get one and don't forget that if you can obtain the VIN # any BMW dealer can run a service maintenance record on it and give you all the details.
spanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 06:07 AM   #10
karlb
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,096
previously owned an 05 that I put 22k on with no troubles switched to a K12GT as I wanted more alt power for 2 up riding in cold weather.

the 05s have servo brakes and while they are great brakes they do use a bunch of electricity and trying to power 2 sets of gerbings in heavy traffic can overwhelm the electrical system and kill a battery.

in 07 they went to the teves (non electrically assisted brakes) and that issue went away.
karlb is offline   Reply With Quote