ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2009, 08:04 PM   #1
markymcd OP
Studly Adventurer
 
markymcd's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Oddometer: 882
F800 Rear Suspension on the F650? Possible???

Is this possible??? Is there any reason why you can't put an aftermarket F800GS rear suspension on an F650GS
__________________
www.adventuredecals.com
markymcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 12:08 AM   #2
JamesG
Rabid Poster
 
JamesG's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Columbus, GA
Oddometer: 10,946
Why? You want to bugger up your 650's upper shock mount and bolt too?

(sorry couldn't resist)
JamesG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 08:21 AM   #3
markymcd OP
Studly Adventurer
 
markymcd's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Oddometer: 882
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesG
Why? You want to bugger up your 650's upper shock mount and bolt too?

(sorry couldn't resist)
good one. I'd probably improve that issue too. My goal is to slowly create the bike that they should have released in the first place (for me anyway).

The biggest challenge will be the front end. Perhaps a KTM front end :)
__________________
www.adventuredecals.com
markymcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 08:30 AM   #4
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo
 
Boon Booni's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Richmond, Va
Oddometer: 13,052
Why not just buy an F800? It seems like it's a better starting platform. Better suspension, a bit more motor, only thing it lacks is tubeless wheels.

F800 and throw a bitubo kit at the front, and an ohlins/elka/wilbur shock at the back.
__________________
Where the fuck...
Where the fuck is the bike?
You gotta be shitting me.
Where the fuck is the road?
Boon Booni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 09:16 AM   #5
markymcd OP
Studly Adventurer
 
markymcd's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Oddometer: 882
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps
Why not just buy an F800? It seems like it's a better starting platform. Better suspension, a bit more motor, only thing it lacks is tubeless wheels.

F800 and throw a bitubo kit at the front, and an ohlins/elka/wilbur shock at the back.

Very fair comment. Few things... it wasn't out yet when I got the 650 and I was chomping at the bit (we got them early in Canada). I was getting back into riding after a large time away and wasn't sure what type of riding I was wanting to do. In all reality I was going to do more street than dirt and the 650 was much more suited to that. Not to mention the fact that I'm 5'6".

The 650 seemed to me a very good base to build up from to my expectations as they develop from riding. The biggest issue will be the wheels but they have taken abuse pretty damn good so far... Same policy I had with my mountain bikes... get a good base, beat the shit out of it and when the shitty things break, replace them with the stuff you want.

As far as the 800 front end goes it seems that the consensus is the bitubo kit and the ralle-moto dampener. There may possibly be some KTM folks that say it might still be not up to par. At this point I haven't done too much research into that.

Right now my focus is to manufacture (and sell) some very cool windshield products and accessories and fix the rear shock.

It's not so much about having the wrong bike to start with but to create something that is totally mine.
__________________
www.adventuredecals.com
markymcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 09:25 AM   #6
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo
 
Boon Booni's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Richmond, Va
Oddometer: 13,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by markymcd
Very fair comment.

I understand what you are saying.

The main reason I suggested the 800 is that I've seen similar things going on with so many other bikes. For example guy buys a KLR. Throws in a big bore kit, aftermarket shock, racetech emulators up front, bars, exhaust etc. Loves his bike, then one day buys a KTM 640 ADV and it's still a much better bike right out of the box.

More power to you though, some of the most happy owners are the ones that have modded the hell out of the bike they have. Just take a peek at the Transalp Modifications thread. Those guys are making some amazing bikes out of a 20 year old bike.
__________________
Where the fuck...
Where the fuck is the bike?
You gotta be shitting me.
Where the fuck is the road?
Boon Booni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 02:18 PM   #7
markymcd OP
Studly Adventurer
 
markymcd's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Oddometer: 882
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps
I understand what you are saying.

The main reason I suggested the 800 is that I've seen similar things going on with so many other bikes. For example guy buys a KLR. Throws in a big bore kit, aftermarket shock, racetech emulators up front, bars, exhaust etc. Loves his bike, then one day buys a KTM 640 ADV and it's still a much better bike right out of the box.

More power to you though, some of the most happy owners are the ones that have modded the hell out of the bike they have. Just take a peek at the Transalp Modifications thread. Those guys are making some amazing bikes out of a 20 year old bike.
cool... i'll check out that thread... plus if i was to get something great 'out of the box' it wouldn't be the f800 it would be the KTM990 adventure.

but hey, who doesn't like a project and a challenge!

NOW IF SOMEONE WOULD ANSWER MY DAMN QUESTION!!!!! :)
__________________
www.adventuredecals.com
markymcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 05:05 PM   #8
Bayner
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Penticton, BC
Oddometer: 1,457
Is there actually a difference besides spring length/sag settings?
Bayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 06:47 PM   #9
markymcd OP
Studly Adventurer
 
markymcd's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Oddometer: 882
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayner
Is there actually a difference besides spring length/sag settings?
exactly my question.... i guess the 650 riders haven't thought about this mod yet.

I've sent the question to the folks at Touratech. They know their stuff so hopefully I'll get an answer by Monday sometime.
__________________
www.adventuredecals.com
markymcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 08:07 PM   #10
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo
 
Boon Booni's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Richmond, Va
Oddometer: 13,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayner
Is there actually a difference besides spring length/sag settings?
At a minimum the shock would have to be longer. Spring rate for the 650 may be stiffer since it's a street oriented bike.
__________________
Where the fuck...
Where the fuck is the bike?
You gotta be shitting me.
Where the fuck is the road?
Boon Booni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 03:56 PM   #11
Sasquatch
Banned
 
Sasquatch's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Boise, Idaho
Oddometer: 4,770
I can rebuild, revalve and respring your F650 shock much cheaper than an aftermarket.
Sasquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 05:41 PM   #12
markymcd OP
Studly Adventurer
 
markymcd's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Oddometer: 882
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquatch
I can rebuild, revalve and respring your F650 shock much cheaper than an aftermarket.

Hey Sasquatch!!!! Glad you saw this... I sent an email to you via your web site several days ago.

can you send me an email to mark_mcd@mac.com and we can discuss. hmm.. (thats and underscore between mark and mcd)

cheers,
Mark
__________________
www.adventuredecals.com
markymcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 06:11 PM   #13
bxr140
Flame Bait
 
bxr140's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: On high
Oddometer: 1,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayner
Is there actually a difference besides spring length/sag settings?
No. The frame and swingarm are exactly the same between the two bikes. Why anyone would want to bolt up a stock 800 shock to a 650 is beyond me though...
bxr140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 07:39 PM   #14
Sasquatch
Banned
 
Sasquatch's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Boise, Idaho
Oddometer: 4,770
Quote:
Originally Posted by markymcd
Hey Sasquatch!!!! Glad you saw this... I sent an email to you via your web site several days ago.

can you send me an email to mark_mcd@mac.com and we can discuss. hmm.. (thats and underscore between mark and mcd)

cheers,
Mark
Email sent.

I must apologize for my post here. It was brought to my attention that it is crossing the line of spamming. I will not do that again.
Sasquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:15 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014