Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2009, 06:53 PM   #16
trailrider383 OP
867-5309

Oddometer: 3,021
Here comes Bob through some poof dust. Video.

trailrider383 screwed with this post 10-04-2009 at 09:53 PM
trailrider383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 06:58 PM   #17
liv2rydktms
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,242
Still waitin!

Back atya Ed. Glad you had a good time. Something would have vibrated off Elsie prolly. Stuff keeps falling off, cracking, or breaking. Must be something to that vibration notion.
IBA#33733
"R" Death Valley trip

liv2rydktms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 07:05 PM   #18
trailrider383 OP
867-5309

Up and over the Santa Rosa Mountains.

More wild horses headed right for us as we were eating lunch.

Looking Southwest near Orovada someone burning fields.

Now we drop off the mountains and into the valley.

Paradise Valley

Old 10-04-2009, 07:36 PM   #19
koa925
Senior Stromer

Oddometer: 22
beautiful photo's , love to make the same trip, are you going to post GPS tracks ?
koa925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 07:46 PM   #20
Idahosam
Set Adrift

Oddometer: 4,107
Ed, my man! I've been waiting for this one for sometime now, and I must say an excellent kick off. My only real regreat is I was not there to be a part of the ride! I knew this would be a great one for a season ender. I'm ready you may contiune.

Bob is on a DRZ How's he liking it?

To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries.
Aldous Huxley
Idahosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 08:19 PM   #21
trailrider383 OP
867-5309

Quote:
Originally Posted by koa925
beautiful photo's , love to make the same trip, are you going to post GPS tracks ?
Sorry, I don't use a GPS. I just whip out the maps and say "lets go there".
Old 10-04-2009, 08:23 PM   #22
trailrider383 OP
867-5309

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idahosam
Ed, my man! I've been waiting for this one for sometime now, and I must say an excellent kick off. My only real regreat is I was not there to be a part of the ride! I knew this would be a great one for a season ender. I'm ready you may contiune.

Bob is on a DRZ How's he liking it?
It's about time you showed up to the "after the ride party" mister. Since you weren't here for the fun.

Bob likes his DRZ. Although when we hit the highway he said something about "getting on his sewing machine".
Old 10-04-2009, 09:52 PM   #23
trailrider383 OP
867-5309

We hit pavement at Paradise Valley. On out to the HWY95 junction to fuel up. We were running short on time, so we took pavement to Denio Junction to get dinner. Headed out to Bog Hot Springs to set up camp and have a soak. We got there just in time to set up the tents before it got totally dark.

The next morning looking out of my tent.

On out past the hot springs Saturday morning.

Listened to these cute little asses all night long Hee-Hawing. If I could just train them to carry all my camping gear and meet me at camp every night.

Back out to the pavement for a short jaunt.

Got off the pavement and checked out Virgin Valley Hot Springs.

Next year I think we are going to use this as a base camp and do day rides out of here. I have ran out of new routes to get here on the bike.
Old 10-04-2009, 10:56 PM   #24
Mr. Fisherman
Ray soon to be AWAY!

Oddometer: 10,483
Sure looks like good stuff to me.
Sometimes I miss Ideeho
Mr. Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 05:42 AM   #25
HeadingNorth
Keep On The Gas!!

Oddometer: 987
Quote:
Originally Posted by liv2rydktms
By the time we were ready to opt in it had 7 and was limited to 8. He's killin me too! What happened to everyone? I thought Phil was going so you would have someone to laugh at.
I didn't feel like getting laughed at.

Great report and photo's Ed as always.

HeadingNorth screwed with this post 10-05-2009 at 05:54 AM
HeadingNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 06:55 AM   #26
trailrider383 OP
867-5309

We climbed east out of Virgin Valley headed for the Pine Forest Range. The original plan was to hit the Pine Forest Range on Friday, but we ran out of daylight.

Dropping off of this range to Gridley Lake.

Now we climb into the Pine Forest Range

Onion Valley Reservoir

More to come.
Old 10-05-2009, 01:40 PM   #27
ryanwilliamcantrell
Get Out and Ride!!

Oddometer: 3,859
Great pics, Ed.

ryanwilliamcantrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 02:50 PM   #28
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer: 2,447
Great pics.
Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 07:35 PM   #29
trailrider383 OP
867-5309

Lets start off with this picture tonight. What can you say about this?

But seriously, it's kind of a neat art piece. It took someone a lot of hours to piece this together.

After eating lunch at Denio Junction (great food by the way ) we headed out to Long Draw and then to Funnel Canyon on the way to Frenchglen.

Now we are up on Steens Mountain. Most of the things in these pictures have been posted multiple times on this site, but here they are again.

Kiger Gorge

That must have been one heck of a snow drift to have survived to the end of September in the desert.

We camped on Steens Mountain Saturday night. Sunday morning we headed down to the pavement for a run into Fields for breakfast.

After lunch we followed the powerline road east for a few miles and then cut North towards the Alvord. Can you say POOF DUST.

Right after this we started getting into some deep sand. If you have ever watched any Paris to Dakar videos it was similar to that. It was just point it in the direction you wanted to go and roost up and over rolling dunes while trying to dodge bushes. It was a major blast. There wasn't an established road through any of it. Every once in a while you would pick up some part of a track and then it would disappear into the dunes. Sorry, I didn't get any pictures of it. Eventually we turned east and climbed up into the sagebrush through Little Sand Gap. Went out through the sagebrush and turned back Northwest to drop back into the valley again through Big Sand Gap. This is Big Sand Gap.

We were searching for a road that goes out the Northeast side of the Alvord Desert playa. From Big Sand Gap to where we found that road was a workout. Deep sand with lots of bushes packed tight together.

And up hills and down hills all while trying to keep the bike upright in the sand while snaking through the bushes and dodging some rocks for good measure.

And then we found what was left of the road. There must have been the grand daddy of all thunderstorms hit that area sometime this summer. From the valley floor we hit the road for about 50 yards and then the road is gone. Jump down in to the sand wash for 50 yards and get back up onto the road. Repeat this several times for about the first 3/4 of a mile. Then the sandwash forks and as I went by the right fork I'm thinking I'll bet that was the road. About 100 yards down the left fork it dwindles down to nothing. Get out the map and yep that was the road going to the right back there. Go back and look at it and WOW!!! What happened to the road? The road bed is gone and there is a wash as wide as the road was about 5 feet deep. It's hard to describe, but it was a challenge to ride that last mile up out of the canyon. The only thing getting through there is going to be on two wheels or by foot.

Here we are on top cooling off after that workout.

This is looking back at what we just climbed. See the ruts in the road? They are already about a foot deep in the first 50 feet of the descent from that storm. Man that had to be a lot of water.

More later.

trailrider383 screwed with this post 10-26-2009 at 09:46 PM
Old 10-06-2009, 06:28 PM   #30
trailrider383 OP
867-5309

Okay, time to wrap this up. We headed east to check out Coyote Lake.

And here I am

We headed out the southwest corner of the playa and got on the Oregon Central Military Wagon Road that ends up meeting HWY 95 south of Burns Junction. This was an interesting road. It just looks like two track through the sagebrush. But the tracks are through soft deep sand. Several miles of that kept you on your toes. And there were two bikes through here sometime in the last few weeks before us. Looking at their tracks made me feel better as they were swerving all over hell just like me. So fess up, who made those tracks?

That's all the pics I have and I don't think Bob and Kent have any pics to add. So that wraps up this report. See ya out there.

trailrider383 screwed with this post 10-06-2009 at 06:54 PM