Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2004, 06:26 PM   #1
rapiti OP
IOR Veteran

Oddometer: 1,896
KTM 640 Adv Steering head lock jammed

(1999 KTM Aventure)
The plastic "weather flap for the ignition key finally gave up, and in my pre dawn haste to get to work, I compounded the problem.

Finally got the biggest piece out, and eventually resorted to heating the key with a torch to get the small, jammed piece out/blended. OK, bike sat for two weeks in this mode, now steering head lock (proper name?) is jammed.

Anybody suffer this before? I perfer to leave it intact, and to lube/resolve issue, as the places I go don't require NT chains...yet.

I am all ears

Thanks in advance!

(cross-posted on KTM Talk, too)
Old 08-30-2004, 09:15 AM   #2
inte
neophyte serendipity

Oddometer: 2,736
Is the steering head lock a small post that protrudes out the side of the head tube with a lock in it? (not familliar with the '99 adventure - my '03 640 Adv has no steering lock)

My '95 LC4 620 had one of those, but no key when I got it. Simply matter of drilling out the lock, cleaning up the shavings & inserting a new one (can be ordered from any KTM dealer).

Good luck!
Twitter: @adventurephotog
Instagram: @adventurephotog
inte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 11:53 AM   #3
creeper
Still alive...

Oddometer: 10,718
Quote:
Originally Posted by inte
Is the steering head lock a small post that protrudes out the side of the head tube with a lock in it? (not familliar with the '99 adventure - my '03 640 Adv has no steering lock)

My '95 LC4 620 had one of those, but no key when I got it. Simply matter of drilling out the lock, cleaning up the shavings & inserting a new one (can be ordered from any KTM dealer).

Good luck!
Yes it does boss
Old 08-30-2004, 02:51 PM   #4
inte
neophyte serendipity

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeper
Yes it does boss
my bad ... my '03 has no steering lock protruding from the head tube like the old '95 does.

It has some sort of lock that works off the ignition right? I've never actually used it, so I'm not even sure how it works ... have to look into that.
Old 08-30-2004, 03:02 PM   #5
creeper
Still alive...

Quote:
Originally Posted by inte
my bad ... my '03 has no steering lock protruding from the head tube like the old '95 does.

It has some sort of lock that works off the ignition right? I've never actually used it, so I'm not even sure how it works ... have to look into that.
It's cool... preoccupied with that Soviet trials bike are ye'?

To use yours, fork to the right, key counterclockwise.
Old 08-30-2004, 03:24 PM   #6
ChrisC
Molon Labe

Oddometer: 6,306
Quote:
To use yours, fork to the right
Mine goes in with the fork on the left...WTF? Maybe yours is built for the Southern Hemisphere....

CC
ChrisC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 03:28 PM   #7
creeper
Still alive...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC
Mine goes in with the fork on the left...WTF? Maybe yours is built for the Southern Hemisphere....

CC
Much like inte... my bad I haven't used it in so long I can't remember

At this point rapiti is saying "will you clowns shut the fuck up... so we can get back to my problem"
Old 08-30-2004, 03:52 PM   #8
rapiti OP
IOR Veteran

Quote:
At this point rapiti is saying "will you clowns shut the fuck up... so we can get back to my problem"
Essentially, but I appreciate the replies. Mine is the newer style (aren't '99s cool?) that has the lock integrated with the ignition. Possibly a piece of the plastic weather flap got down there, and is in the pinion gear (I imagine it is a pinion gear that drives the rack/stub which extends, thereby locking the fork to the LEFT.)

Somebody help me with terminology...I'm dyin' here!

The entire assembly is bolted to the upper triple clamp with two large flathead fasteners. The ignition switch is bolted to the alloy locking mechanism with two small phillips screws. The problem is, it is bloody hard to get my hands in there to undo the right side fasteners. I may need to purchase some specialty tools
Old 08-30-2004, 03:59 PM   #9
creeper
Still alive...

When you say weather flap, I have no idea what your talking about... '03 must be different. Can you just pull of the entire top triple tree?
Old 08-30-2004, 08:04 PM   #10
Mack
Gone, but never forgotten. RIP, Mack...

Oddometer: 3,797
I have not had a chance to look at my ADV keyhole, had the same problem on my Duke though, the flap broke off, and jammed the ignition, after I tore off the chrome surround I realized all I had to do was pop the entire cover off the top of the tumbler. I will try and look at the ADV tomorrow and see if the cover comes off in a similar fashion. (I would suspect some portion of the flap has fallen in and jammed the mechanisim, but I am just guessing here.)
Old 08-30-2004, 08:14 PM   #11
dagwood
Banned

Oddometer: 35,427
this will fix it..in a snap.

Get some CRC penetrating oil and let it sit overnight. dose it again and see if you can get it to move.
You might have to take the headlight basket off and work the slide from the front which is were it might be jamed.
mine sometimes sticks but I just slam ( we, not slam) wiggle the bars back and forth while turning the key...Gently!
dagwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 10:08 PM   #12
inte
neophyte serendipity

Now I'm really wondering about this thing... the way rapiti's describing the mechanism I'm wondering if mine will work at all - it took a pretty good hit when I crossed paths with that tree up in Idaho last month - the dash came forward & flattened the key into the ignition. Key came out & ignition still works but the "slot" where the key goes in isn't very rectangle anymore - more like oval-meets-triangle shape.

Now that you mention it creeper, I am a little preoccupied with the baltic bike ... no steering lock - just hang the thing from a tree or something...
Old 08-31-2004, 03:30 AM   #13
rapiti OP
IOR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack
I have not had a chance to look at my ADV keyhole, had the same problem on my Duke though, the flap broke off, and jammed the ignition, after I tore off the chrome surround I realized all I had to do was pop the entire cover off the top of the tumbler. I will try and look at the ADV tomorrow and see if the cover comes off in a similar fashion. (I would suspect some portion of the flap has fallen in and jammed the mechanisim, but I am just guessing here.)
Yeah, our Texas UV works wonders on the plastics! I agree in that I think the plastic is jamming the mechanism. Worst case is mask disassembly for access to remove ignition switch.

Keep those suggestions coming!
Old 09-26-2004, 06:57 AM   #14
rapiti OP
IOR Veteran

Haven't done much other than pull off the mask. I now see that the aforementioned flathead fasteners are toilet stall type one way (tighten only) fasteners. EZ out? Headight bracket is next removal. New ignition on the way from TJ's. Talk to me about slide hammers If the ignition bracket isn't removable without major strife, can I yank the old ignition/key switch out and put the other one in it's place? Naive question, but I didn't grow up in Flugistan.
Old 09-26-2004, 08:48 PM   #15
Mack
Gone, but never forgotten. RIP, Mack...

Oddometer: 3,797
I will try and look at mine, as I am having a hard time remembering what the assy. looks like. Normally I will either cut a slot in those screws, or drill and easy out them. Any chance you could use dental pics to try and remove the offending material?