Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2009, 12:00 PM   #151
Gian
dreamer

Oddometer: 992
You're right Jenny.., thanks! I suspected but the photo wasn't big enough form my eyes
Gian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 03:19 AM   #152
Tim
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,356
Steering Damper

Hi JMo,

How did the steering damper tower hold up?

I have just got my damper back from service by Scotts and am now ready to put it on my Tenere. I will be using it with the arm facing forwards like yours and am now thinking about the weld on tower. I was intending to weld the tower on the headlight sub-frame like yours is but Scotts advised against it and suggested that I weld a bracket directly to the headstock tube as per this photo they sent me.

I thought that if your bracket on the sub-frame help up to the Rally OK I would do the same as it would be easier to weld then directly to the bikes frame.
Old 11-26-2009, 03:32 AM   #153
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim
Hi JMo,

How did the steering damper tower hold up?

I have just got my damper back from service by Scotts and am now ready to put it on my Tenere. I will be using it with the arm facing forwards like yours and am now thinking about the weld on tower. I was intending to weld the tower on the headlight sub-frame like yours is but Scotts advised against it and suggested that I weld a bracket directly to the headstock tube as per this photo they sent me.

I thought that if your bracket on the sub-frame help up to the Rally OK I would do the same as it would be easier to weld then directly to the bikes frame.
You think right my friend.. it held up perfectly, including a couple of really big crashes in the sand!

I don't know how long the arm is on your Scott's damper, but with my GPR, the tower lines up perfectly with the curved edge in the plate on the top of the fairing support bracket:

Works a treat, and that whole bracket assembly is dead strong...

xxx
JMo (& piglet) is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 08:42 AM   #154
BajasWorld
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
xxx
Great stuff!

Quick question on this photo. I don't recognize the bike. Which BMW was it?

Hi.
Its the kit from Spain developed by OFFROADSITE.COM
http://www.offroadsite.com/doc/BMW%2...%20RACE150.pdf

They run (and win) last Africa Race with J.M. Pellicer.
BajasWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 02:35 AM   #155
Tim
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,356
Thanks JMo, that's good enough for me! Sub-frame mount it is
Old 11-27-2009, 05:13 PM   #156
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

It's in the sand!

A few more pictures from Rallymaniacs.nl

xxx
Old 12-13-2009, 08:17 AM   #157
rohirim
rohirim

Oddometer: 7
Excellent work with your bike.i like it.!!!
Are you thinking to change(upgrade) anything after the race?
What about more power?
Do you think that the 42hp where enough for the race?
Congratullations again.
(sorry for my bad enghlish)
rohirim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 10:11 AM   #158
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohirim
Excellent work with your bike.i like it.!!!
Are you thinking to change(upgrade) anything after the race?
What about more power?
Do you think that the 42hp where enough for the race?
Congratullations again.
(sorry for my bad enghlish)
Hi Rohirim!

Glad you like the bike!

Everything worked incredibly well during the rally, so there is nothing that I would change particularly, other than to slightly redesign the navigation equipment bracket in the cockpit - but that is because I am now using an MD roadbook holder, and am likely to replace my GPSII+ with a slightly newer model, as the II+ only has limited route memory which wasn't enough for Heroes - I had to put a lot of information in manually which was a pin in the arse as you might imagine...

I also intend to add a rear fuel tank on the opposite side to the exhaust (together with a matching side panel to cover the exhaust silancer) as there were a couple of times when I was right on the limit of fuel range - mainly my fault as I couldn't help but ride it hard some days!

Regarding the power - my bike has no engine mods, other than an open airbox lid, DNA filter and single (non-cat) exhaust pipe, plus a Power Commander fitted to correct the fueling...

It was dyno'd at 43.54bhp at the rear wheel, that's with a brand new Michelin Desert tyre fitted... had I been using a 17 inch street tyre, that figure would have been closer to 49bhp, and in turn, offer a crank bhp reading in the low to mid 50's which I would say is ample for desert riding? Certainly the bike had more power (and torque) than a Michelin Desert can transmit in the dirt/sand, I never felt it was underpowered at all...

Of course I'm never going to be racing against the top level guys, and I doubt anyone on this bike is going to be? - what this bike/engine offers is a very strong and reliable package using the stock engine tune. That said, it is relatively straightforward to get more power from this engine - I know the quad guys in the US regularly talk about 75bhp with a new cam/valves etc. and there is always the option of a bigger bore piston too.

Perhaps if my engine starts to feel tired (it has already done over 51,000kms now), then I might look at tuning it a little, but as a rally bike, I like the way it is set up now - if you ride it back to back with a standard Tenere you'd certainly be impressed at the transformation the suspension and engine modifications have made!

J xxx
Old 12-13-2009, 02:02 PM   #159
Gian
dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMo (& piglet)
It was dyno'd at 43.54bhp at the rear wheel, that's with a brand new Michelin Desert tyre fitted... had I been using a 17 inch street tyre, that figure would have been closer to 49bhp, and in turn, offer a crank bhp reading in the low to mid 50's which I would say is ample for desert riding? Certainly the bike had more power (and torque) than a Michelin Desert can transmit in the dirt/sand, I never felt it was underpowered at all...
have you maybe changed the rear wheel with a 18"? As far as I know 17" Desert are no more available...
Ciao!
Gian
Old 12-13-2009, 03:23 PM   #160
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gian
have you maybe changed the rear wheel with a 18"? As far as I know 17" Desert are no more available...
Ciao!
Gian
Yes, the rear is an 18" rim, with Talon cush-drive hub, heavy duty (9 gauge) spokes and a Braking Wave disc...

If you take a look at the first page of this thread there is more information about the changes I made to the bike, plus a lot more information and photos over on XT660.com...

Also, if you are able to get the December issue of TBM magazine (published in the UK), there is a feature about the bike build in there too...

xxx
Old 12-14-2009, 12:48 AM   #161
stteve
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMo (& piglet)
Yes, the rear is an 18" rim, with Talon cush-drive hub, heavy duty (9 gauge) spokes and a Braking Wave disc...

If you take a look at the first page of this thread there is more information about the changes I made to the bike, plus a lot more information and photos over on XT660.com...

Also, if you are able to get the December issue of TBM magazine (published in the UK), there is a feature about the bike build in there too...

xxx
....and that is a great article, incl pics of Jenny without her helmet.
Old 12-15-2009, 10:46 AM   #162
PackMule
love what you do

Oddometer: 19,458
Thanks for the ride, and all the calls, Jenny. Going to unstick this now as the Dakar draws near...

(feel free to continue the discussion, of course!)

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA

Get your sweet Pyndon DakARTwork here

Pyndon '13
PackMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 12:32 PM   #163
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

No problem - thank you Nate - hopefully it gave a good insight in to the event for everyone...

I also heard today that TopSpeed TV in Holland have started to broadcast their series on the Heroes-Legend Rally - part 1 is available to watch on line here:

http://www.topspeedtv.nl/

With the others to follow in the next couple of weeks...

Yes, it's in Dutch of course, but you'll get the idea - and there are some nice action shots of the Tenere!

xxx
Old 12-21-2009, 06:57 AM   #164
stteve
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 343
topspeed.tv

Part 2 is on-line now, with a nice interview from Jenny
Old 03-02-2010, 02:33 PM   #165
Gian
dreamer

Jenny, I understand you were under the wings of Desert Rose assistance? Would you please explain (even with a private message of course) how they works, do they provide different assistance levels and how muche they ask for? I'm trying to calculate a budget for the 2010 edition, with a friend, and at the moment it's unlikely we could get any italian assistance team... Thanks
Gian