Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2009, 03:11 PM   #16
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by stteve
Can't wait to read how it ride! Must be a blast.

Aren't you afraid you are going to melt the headlight or reflector with a 100W bulb?
Hi Steve - I ran 100w bulbs for over 10,000 miles in the US earlier this year - no problem with the headlight lens at all (even though it is plastic) - the lens itself is pretty far forward of the actual bulbs...

As for how it rides, initial tests (on road) are very good - the suspension is much plusher than the stock set up (which had done over 25,000 miles mind you!) and very controlled over bumps and undulations. The forks are slightly stiffer than the rear, which is what I wanted to soak up the big hits, while the rear squats slightly in comparison for traction...

The steering is good - rake is essentially the same although the trail has altered slightly, and of course the wheelbase is a touch longer with the raised suspension and larger rear wheel (further back in the swing arm). Initial tip-in is perhaps slightly more relaxed, but it holds it's line very well, especially under power.

I'm currently down in the south west of England, and planning on spending a couple of days on the Military train grounds (Salisbury Plain) where I can put the bike through it's paces off-road and at speed on gravel and dirt...

Will report back once I've got the suspension dialed-in properly!

J xx
JMo (& piglet) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 01:52 AM   #17
Tim
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,354
Bike looks great JMo

I am in the process of looking in to fitting my Scots damper to my Tenere (the damper is at Scots at the moment for a service) and wondered how you fitted the frame bracket for your damper, weld on tower maybe?

Thanks.
Old 10-07-2009, 01:22 PM   #18
svizzerams
Rx Rangerette

Oddometer: 1,843
oooooh...very nice!!! Good luck.

my smugmug: http://svizzerams.smugmug.com

Proud to be Riff Raff 07-08-09-10-11 !!!!
svizzerams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 01:49 PM   #19
canadaler
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 338
If anyone who works for Yamaha is reading this thread....BUILD THIS BIKE!!!

Well done JMo and best of luck in the rallye.
'84 Honda VT500FT Ascot
Tuareg Rally 2009

canadaler screwed with this post 10-27-2009 at 07:06 AM
canadaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 02:11 PM   #20
Gian
dreamer

Oddometer: 946
Jenny, it would have been my dream to participate to Heroes Legend. This year has not been possible but I still have a little hope for the next one, and if I'll do it it will be with this one
http://www.nightwings.org/Marathon/i...g/DSCN1169.JPG

Your bike looks great and is being very "watched" here in Italy too! I have only a little suggesttion, maybe the engine protection should be larger than the stock one, especially on the right side

My best wishes for the race
Gian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 03:27 PM   #21
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim
Bike looks great JMo

I am in the process of looking in to fitting my Scots damper to my Tenere (the damper is at Scots at the moment for a service) and wondered how you fitted the frame bracket for your damper, weld on tower maybe?

Thanks.
Hi Tim - I was fortunate the GPR riser/mount for my XR650R also lined up with the new triple clamp for the Tenere (I only had to drill the holes in the top clamp out from 10 to 12mm).

The damper arm is forward facing on the GPR, and the correct length to sit above the fairing support frame, so as you surmise, I welded on a post to the fairing frame the correct hight to mount the insert for the damper arm - and bingo!

Hope that helps!

Jen xx

ps. I'm sure you know the damper pivot has to be positioned directly above the centre of the steering tube? So you may need a longer arm on the damper to reach forward far enough? Also, I was able to route my stock clutch and throttle cables behind the welded on post, as in front they wouldn't be long enough and tug when you steer left or right...
Old 10-07-2009, 03:32 PM   #22
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadaler
If anyone who works for Yamaha is reading this thread....BUILD THIS BIKE!!!

Well done JMo and best of luck in the Africa Race.
Thanks Canadaler (although the 'Africa Race' is a different event that is due to run in January I think?) - Heroes-Legend starts in Paris (not Spain) and runs earlier - October 22nd - 7th November... sh!t, that's like in two weeks! eek!

xxx

ps. I'll be in touch with Yamaha UK in the next couple of days (they are aware of this project) - I can certainly confirm the mods have been worth it - the engine pulls like a train now, and the suspension works VERY well off-road - I've been testing these past couple of days and can really appreciate having top quality suspension on this bike - it's awesome!
Old 10-07-2009, 03:37 PM   #23
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gian
Jenny, it would have been my dream to participate to Heroes Legend. This year has not been possible but I still have a little hope for the next one, and if I'll do it it will be with this one
http://www.nightwings.org/Marathon/i...g/DSCN1169.JPG

Your bike looks great and is being very "watched" here in Italy too! I have only a little suggesttion, maybe the engine protection should be larger than the stock one, especially on the right side

My best wishes for the race
Hi Gian - your Africa Twin looks like one bad boy! Excellent!

I'm glad this project has inspired people from all over Europe (and beyond of course) - I wanted to show this machine had real potential and it hasn't disappointed... I've been testing it off-road these past couple of days, and the bike rides very well with the new suspension, while the engine mods have really opened up the power on the machine - it feels like totally different machine now, a proper race bike!

I can also confirm it is noticeably lighter than stock now... yes, I did have to pick it up today... (wet chalk is a bitch, especially when you've just filled the tank with 23 litres!)

xxx
Old 10-08-2009, 12:51 AM   #24
tazzone
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMo (& piglet)

Ready to go! Side panels and graphics fitted:

xxx
fantastica moto bellissima preparazione

tazzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 01:31 AM   #25
edgy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 486
Brilliant! Thanks!!
`11 KTM690
edgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 03:59 AM   #26
Pombe
Mzee

Oddometer: 41
Best of Luck

You have my best wishes and prayers. The modifications are awesome.
Old 10-09-2009, 05:49 AM   #27
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

Thank you all for your well wishes, they are most appreciated!

I am in the process of putting together the final prep on the bike now, after a successful couple of days testing, albeit in the rain - it is England in October after all!

We were fortunate to have one good day of sunshine, and took the opportunity to get a few photos before the off - the 1988 Tenere belongs to a friend of mine - I hope the new bike will be every bit as successful as it's predecessors en route to Dakar!

xxx
Old 10-09-2009, 05:52 AM   #28
Flood
F5lood.

Oddometer: 10,161
Great pics!

Love what you're doing and I'm looking forward to the reports.
Take care!
Flood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 06:39 AM   #29
Jurgen
Trolljegeren

Oddometer: 38,887
Good luck.

Jurgen

Moderator:CSM/JoMomma/ShinyThings/Sports
Jurgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 01:18 PM   #30
Tim
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,354
Thanks for the damper info. Jen. I have sent Scotts all of the measurements that they need and hope that they will be able to find a match for the Ten. They managed to find one for my Africa Twin (KX125 IIRC!!) so hope they manage it this time.

I have just taken off the platic cover that goes over the ign. lock and it looks like it would be pretty straightforward to take out the security bolts that hold the lock on and bolt on a bracket for the weld on tower.

Cheers