ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2009, 07:09 PM   #1
Nice_Rumble OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,243
Tri-State Dual Sport Pics

Thanks to John Durkin, Dewey Heichel, Dave Carlson and the Tri-State Trail Riders for putting together an epic dual sport ride today. A nice mix of dirt roads, two-track and 2 lane tar meandering through the best scenery the Monadnock region has to offer. A good turnout of riders despite the weather forecast. The rain on Saturday made sure the ride wasn't a cake walk in the two-track sections.

The start area quickly filled up with riders from all the New England states.

And riders started heading out right after the riders meeting.

Orange is still the predominant color even in a DS event.

We took the by-passes due to the all the rain and the fact that I was riding a 400 lb bike with 70/30 tires. Not a good combo in the greasy stuff.

These riders stayed on the main route.

The back roads were fun now that fog was burning off and the sun was coming out.

The woods roads offered up some great fall scenery.

There was this guy riding 2-up on a stealthy Suzuki. They would just woosh by with both sitting down over some nasty terrain. Incredible rider.

The beauty of these types of events is you get to ride in areas that would take years to find. Nothing better than local knowledge.

This section had a little jump over a stream made out of logs.

We caught up with the guy riding 2-up at the gas stop. I thought the only rider who was that fast riding 2-up was Tom Canning. Guy must have been an A rider back in the 70's.

After the gas stop it was across the street to the pizza place.

This is the Tri-States contribution to the economic stimulus plan. LOL!

Then it was on to The Covered Bridges Tour.

Then up a hill for some long distance NH views.

The temperatures were pushing 70 at this point.

Then down a greasy logging road.

And a few more covered bridges.

And then into a remote section called Monument Rd.

It was in here that we came upon this monument out in the middle of nowhere. We were miles from the nearest road or house.

This is the site of an old home as there were small remains of a cellar hole.
A woman by the name of Eliza Ballou was born here on Sept. 21, 1801. She married Abram Garfield and gave birth to the 20th president of the United States, James Garfield. OK, back to the ride.

This is the road leading into and away from the monument. Not many tourists find this site.

Mt Monadnock could be seen in the distance.

At the end of an old woods roads we came to this guy checking out the trail riders.

The leaves are beginning to cover the land mines.

Before we knew it were back at the start and the chicken barbeque which was part of the entry fee.

We didn't know the local Harley crowd would be having a live music concert when we got back. Maybe they heard about the chicken barbeque.There was some woman trying to sound like Janis Joplin.

Another Tri-State event, this time a Dual Sport ride, has lived up to it's reputation for putting on well organized and fun events. Great job guy's. See you next year.

Nice_Rumble screwed with this post 10-04-2009 at 07:34 PM
Nice_Rumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 06:36 AM   #2
madrivermaz
Old Fart

Oddometer: 2,029
Nice pics!

This was my first ride coming out of retirement. A complete blast except for that little section where we met those two guys on 3-wheelers without helmets who looked like they stepped right out of "Deliverance". They had that look..... So, they say to us, its a good trail just watch out at the bottom.... The bottom? That term stayed in my head. When we hit the bottom, I hit the bottom...with my head, my shoulders, my knees..... I gave out a loud yell as the front wheel dove into that god awful rut and I parted ways with my nice new DR650. OUCH. Thanks to my riding buddy, Rusty Rocket, we got going again, but not without the memory of that fall in my mind and in the handlebars of the bike.
Good time, though. Great views.
madrivermaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 06:47 AM   #3
ADVCoop
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 771
That looks like fun
Old 10-05-2009, 08:04 AM   #4
durkinjo
Durkinjo

Oddometer: 28
Wicked Lost items during the ride

One of the riders lost a Chase Harper black tool bag in the Manadnock section. Please contact me at tristatetr@charter.net if you found it, so I can return it to the owner.

If anyone found a CT plate, let me know that as well? Not sure where that could be but it may be on the back of the 3 wheeler (glad no riders ended up on the back of one of the 3 wheelers).

Glad to see people enjoyed the ride.

Thanks
John
durkinjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 08:17 AM   #5
URNUTS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 427
Good time-

I rode like crap the second half (or so)- and was really feeling the weight difference between the DR650 and my KDX. Haven't ridden the DR for over a year and that 100+ lbs and different suspension.... wow. I also kept getting water into the airbox and the bike would run terribly for 30-45 minutes- even after making sure the airbox was clear. I realize now that in addition to removing the pre-filter, I should have banged out that K&N!
Went down and bent my bars- and then I was just flat-out pissed at myself for making stupid mistakes, picking a bad line, etc.
Nice trails, though. I did make the mistake of not lowering my tire pressure, and I could "feel" that, too.
Thanks for putting on the event.
URNUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 08:37 AM   #6
motogo1
I don't want a pickle,...

Oddometer: 1,101
Great Ride!

Just to add my two bits. A really fun ride pretty much perfect for a 600cc dual sport bike. Scenic, fun, relaxing, challenging and sometimes a bit scary when you are scooting along a relatively smooth woods road and all of a sudden get into a boulder field with ledges. I learned real fast that without danger arrows, it's best to stay alert. One of the best dual sport rides this year, IMHO.
Old 10-05-2009, 10:38 AM   #7
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,845
Quote:
Originally Posted by motogo1
Just to add my two bits. One of the best dual sport rides this year, IMHO.
+1

I had agreat time and took home a pie.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 11:10 AM   #8
GETRAD
BACK HOFF!

Oddometer: 629
it was a really fun ride and the weather held off... it was some where between a dual sport ride and a turkey. i feel bad for any one who brought really big rigs.
GETRAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 07:23 PM   #9
oxydog
got there

Oddometer: 1
One of the funnest things I've done!

This was my first dual sport ride. I've ridden a lot - as a passenger and on horses - my friend of many years took me along on this outing 2 up. The scenery was truly spectacular and the water crossings, wicked mud holes, rocky washouts made this one of the funnest things I've ever done. I thank my friend for including me on the back - he is a most amazing rider - I only got off and walked 3-4 times the whole trip! You guys sure know how to have a blast! And thanks to whomever took and posted these photos, I was wishing I had a camera and saw some guys with video cameras - is there video up somewhere too?
oxydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 08:37 PM   #10
URNUTS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 427
Few pics-

http://s206.photobucket.com/albums/b...t=IMG_1404.jpg

http://s206.photobucket.com/albums/b...t=IMG_1405.jpg

http://s206.photobucket.com/albums/b...t=IMG_1406.jpg

I think we were lost here, and I was so freaking cold I had to put on a pull-over.
URNUTS is offline   Reply With Quote