Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2009, 08:45 AM   #31
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireman1000
Great RR! I've ridden the same area for the past 8 years (mostly sport bikes), ended up with a KLR 650 in 2007. By far one of my most memorable motorcycle trips was the first time I took it up. I've never done Winding Stairs Rd., but plan to next time I'm up that way. BTW, I'm not too far from you. I live in the big city of Gray GA.
As a sport bike turned KLR rider, we have a lot in common. I'd love to get together and ride sometime.

klaviator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 03:11 PM   #32
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

At the point that Winding Stair turns to pavement, this road is on the right.

If 129 at Deals Gap is the "Dragon" Then this road is the "roller coaster"
It's a blast to ride but watch out, it will bite a lot faster than the dragon. Here's one pic:

This road is non-stop hills and curves. At the end of this road I came up with a plan for the rest of todays ride. After many cloudy days, it was real nice to have a day with wall to wall sunshine. I decided that I would like to stay on roads that weren't under a canopy of trees. I decided to ride two of my favorites; Tellico Gap and the 8 mile stretch fo Hwy 28 south of Lauda. When I have ridden these in the past, I often looked at some of the side roads and trails and wondered "Where does that road go." Since I had plenty of time, today I was going to find out where some of those roads went.

Old 10-12-2009, 04:12 PM   #33
unlawfulsm
Bearded Hooligan

Oddometer: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator
I started riding this area back in 1990 when I rode up from Pensacola on my EX500. I fell in love with the area and took trips to the area as often as I could. From Pensacola I moved to Michigan, then Maryland, Maine and Alabama. I would make at least one trip to the area every year. Until 2001 almost all of my riding was on the pavement. Then I got my XT350. It allowed me to really start exploring the area. I had always wanted a dual sport but was reluctant to give up the sport riding on these great twisty roads. It was one of the best motorcycle decisions I have made. A dual sport bike, even with knobbies, performs as well, if not better than a sport bike on many of these roads. It also allows you to put together a more enjoyable route with a minimum of boring "transit" sections since you have a much larger choice of roads. There are many great paved roads on which you will almost never find a sport, or any street bike, because they turn to gravel. These are some of the best roads in the area.
I started on DS Bikes went to sportbikes and supermoto's and back to DS bikes. Lived in FL and spent all my $$ and time coming here to ride so I just moved here Nice ride report especially for a first attempt.

Use Code- iFRLhicsrl4no

Great Deals on Gear
unlawfulsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 06:06 AM   #34
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

At the end of Camp Branch Rd I turned left and headed toward Tellicho Gap. I went over a road I had never been on before. It turned out to be a nice Ride.

When I got to Tellico Gap I decided to hike the Appalachian Trail.

So I Hiked about 20 feet of the trail to take this pic:

There was a young lady there who was hiking the trail. She had started the trail at Erwin, Tn and hiked to the northern end in Maine, then flew back to Erwin and headed south toward Springer Mountain. I told her the weather forecast and wondered how much fun it would be to be out hiking in the middle of nowhere when the weather turned nasty.

Heading down the North side of the Mountain, I spotted a narrow, little used trail off to the side so I took it. After crossing a small creek the two track trail went into the woods and started to deteriorate to the point that it was hard to tell where it went. I hadn't expected it to go anywhere so I turned around and took the pic on the way back.

Another pic north of Tellico Gap.

Tellico Rd intersects Hwy 28 right where an awsome stretch of twisties begins. It was a great ride to Lauda. The XT350 really rocks on roads like this. Even with a worn out and squared off MT21 on the rear, It went around the curves like it was on rails. Traction was not an issue.

I stopped at the Gas station where 28 intersects the four lane. I turned on my cell phone and saw I had a voice mail. It was Steve, he had found his keys. I gave him a call. After I left, he went trough all his stuff and my truck two more times. The owner of the Aholiday motel went through the room we had stayed in and found nothing. I'm sure that about now he felt like . Then he decided to unpack his stuff and put some of it into drawers when he remembered something. Checking the nightstand drawer, there where his keys, right where he had put them when he first entered the room.

Great news. I could now enjoy the rest of my ride without worrying about what we would do for the next two days.

klaviator screwed with this post 10-14-2009 at 11:14 AM
Old 10-13-2009, 10:12 AM   #35
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

The weather is perfect and it's time to do some more riding . Back down 28 for some more curves. Took a side trip down a paved road to see where it went. It dead ended. Back to 28 and more curves. Took a side trip down a dirt road and found this:

Took a walk on the foot bridge. It bounces and sways when you walk on it. Not recommended for those who are prone to motion sickness.

Steve and I where on this bridge in June, but from Needmore Rd on the other side. I believe the river is the Tennessee river.

Photo ops complete, I continued on until I got to a gate. After turning around I stopped to take in this view.

When I got back to 28 I saw this kudzu trying to cross the road.

Old 10-13-2009, 02:39 PM   #36
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Back on 28 for more curves then right on Tellico Rd. Coming up was a road that I had gone by many times and wondered "where does that road go?"

Today I was going to find out. For some reason I expected a dead end. It didn't dead end. Like the energizer bunny, it kept going and going, and best of all it was a great ride . All good things must come to an end. This one ended at Hwy28 near Franklin so I turned around and rode it in the other direction. I'm adding this to my fun rides list. Here's a view from the above sign

Then it was time to ride back over Tellico Gap again. There is a wide area going over the mountain where all the trees were cleared to make way for a large set of power lines. The road crosses the clearing, goes into the forest where it turns back into the clearing and repeats this many times. Many of the turns in the forest are tight and steep hairpins. Not only is this a fun ride, it also has great views when the road crosses the clearing. Here's a shot of one curve going down the south side.

klaviator screwed with this post 10-14-2009 at 11:20 AM
Old 10-13-2009, 03:54 PM   #37
unlawfulsm
Bearded Hooligan

I believe that road is Winding Staircase. There is some kind of camp up there and you need to keep an eye for vans on that road. But man is that road awesome to ride. One day I was up there and I was just enjoying the day and stopped to take a whizz and here comes a guy on a stretched out chopper from the other direction Glad I didnt meet him mid corner

Use Code- iFRLhicsrl4no

Great Deals on Gear
Old 10-13-2009, 04:25 PM   #38
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by unlawfulsm
I believe that road is Winding Staircase. There is some kind of camp up there and you need to keep an eye for vans on that road. But man is that road awesome to ride. One day I was up there and I was just enjoying the day and stopped to take a whizz and here comes a guy on a stretched out chopper from the other direction Glad I didnt meet him mid corner
I'm not sure which road you mean. I did Winding Stairs before Camp Branch, then got back briefly on Winding Stairs before turning onto Briartown Church road to get to tellico gap. As far as being awesome to ride, that fits just about every road I did today.

Old 10-13-2009, 04:27 PM   #39
unlawfulsm
Bearded Hooligan

Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator
I'm not sure which road you mean. I did Winding Stairs before Camp Branch, then got back briefly on Winding Stairs before turning onto Briartown Church road to get to tellico gap. As far as being awesome to ride, that fits just about every road I did today.
Its a left off of Wayah road and then a right on the very next road.

Use Code- iFRLhicsrl4no

Great Deals on Gear
Old 10-13-2009, 05:06 PM   #40
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Originally Posted by unlawfulsm

There are a lot of great roads back in that area. When I was coming down from my last pass over Tellico Gap I did some more exploring. It's a well kept secret that one of the major U.S. Car Companies has a top secret "Green Car" developement center hidden back in the mountains in that area. It may be disguised as the "camp" which unlawflsm referred to. I not only found it but also managed to get a photo of the newest green car prototype. Before running out and getting that new Prius, you need to check this out.

Remember, you saw it here first!

Old 10-13-2009, 05:37 PM   #41
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Time to head back to the motel. Riding down Old River Rd, the sun was just right for this.

This one deserved a close up.

A few minutes later I was back at the motel. Total for todays ride: 120 miles. Then it was off to Elsie's restaurant for some great country fried steak, mashed potatoes and green beans.

Old 10-14-2009, 08:06 AM   #42
NY-KLR-Joe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 304
Great ride report!

I've rode alot of the stuff you guys posted.
Winding stairs and the other roads in the areas!

Thanks for posting!
NY-KLR-Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 10:43 AM   #43
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Day 5, Thursday October 8th

For the first time on the trip, we woke up to cloudless sky. Temperature was in the forties but should warm up nicely. Here's the view from our motel.

Today will be more of a street ride. We put on our street gear and head out on the six fifties. North on Junaluska Rd, right on Wayah Rd, then right on Rainbow Springs to warmup on some twisty gravel. Like many unpaved roads in the area, Rainbow Springs is under a canopy of trees. I like the way the sunlight was coming through the trees.

This cabin has a waterfall right next to it and it is loud.

After Rainbow Springs, the plan is for relaxing rideing on the pavement followed by lunch at Steve's favorite BBQ place in this area.

Old 10-14-2009, 11:59 AM   #44
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Time for some easy, relaxing riding.

Steve relaxing.

Another shot of me relaxing.

For some reason, there were a lot of these signs in the area so we decided to take some pics

Rumor has it that the former residents of this house abandonded it because they were tired of driving around all the 10MPH hairpins to get home.

A scenic lake:

Some of the leaves were changing.

Then it was off to Fat Buddies in Franklin for some BBQ for lunch. Steve gives a thumbs up to the food.

klaviator screwed with this post 10-17-2009 at 03:58 PM
Old 10-14-2009, 12:58 PM   #45
EVILONE
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,315
killer report!Some of the best roads ever!

EVIL