ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2010, 03:37 PM   #76
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
klaviator's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Huntsville, AL
Oddometer: 5,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vixen
keyword "almost"

You are right. It's the rider not the bike that counts. Did a group dual sport ride in the fall and one guy showed up on an SV650. He did most of the ride including a deep water crossing. He finally crashed on Flatland road.
__________________
I ride, Therefore I Am.



klaviator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 03:45 PM   #77
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
klaviator's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Huntsville, AL
Oddometer: 5,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireman1000
I would be interested in group ride as well.
If I decide to do one I'll post it well in advance. I will be doing some weekend rides in the N. Ga. mountains once the weather gets a little warmer & drier.
__________________
I ride, Therefore I Am.



klaviator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 08:33 PM   #78
Sirwrexalot
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Sirwrexalot's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Oddometer: 109
Thanks for sharing your adventure with us. A small group of West TN Flatlanders are heading that way in early April.

You got any tracks or routes that you care to share?
Sirwrexalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 11:25 PM   #79
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
klaviator's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Huntsville, AL
Oddometer: 5,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirwrexalot
Thanks for sharing your adventure with us. A small group of West TN Flatlanders are heading that way in early April.

You got any tracks or routes that you care to share?
I don't have any GPS tracks but if you let me know where you will be riding I will be glad to give you some suggestions.

My first suggestion is Dress warm. It will probably still be very cold in early April. Don't be surprised if you have to deal with some snow/ice/ and freezing temperatures at the higher elevations. What type of bikes will you be riding?
__________________
I ride, Therefore I Am.



klaviator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 08:43 AM   #80
i4bikes
Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Oddometer: 45
Thumb

Very nice report. I'm here in Ohio with 10" of snow. I've rode street only bikes on some of those roads, like round bottom, but never had a DS bike down there. Looks like you had a good time.
i4bikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 10:58 AM   #81
BigT
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2005
Location: SF Bay Area, California.
Oddometer: 860
I've said it before and I'll say it again (& again & again). You Georgia guys have all the best places to ride.

Out here on the Left-Coast it's nothing but locked gates, private property and "Keep Out" signs on the most interesting looking roads.

A fellow KLR riding friend of mine moved out there a couple years ago, and he loves it.

Nice report.
BigT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 11:31 AM   #82
ThumperDRZ
Bouncing off Rocks!
 
ThumperDRZ's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: Stinkin' County, MO
Oddometer: 2,399
Sat down for 5 minutes to check Advrider and now it's more than an hour later.....what a great report....been going to my Garmin software and marking these roads.... Hurricane Creek looks like a few we have around here down in the Ozark "Hills" but we sure don't have those mountains.....Great Pictures....Love to ride them one day
__________________
"If you're going through hell.......Keep going!"

On Hiatus
ThumperDRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 01:42 PM   #83
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
klaviator's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Huntsville, AL
Oddometer: 5,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT
I've said it before and I'll say it again (& again & again). You Georgia guys have all the best places to ride.

Out here on the Left-Coast it's nothing but locked gates, private property and "Keep Out" signs on the most interesting looking roads.

A fellow KLR riding friend of mine moved out there a couple years ago, and he loves it.

Nice report.
A lot of the good stuff in N. Georgia has been shut down. Everything in this RR was in N. Carolina and Western TN. A lot of good ridng in those states has also been closed off. Still, it's a great area for the type of riding I like to do. Not as great for the hard core off road guys.

Here's a few N. Georgia Pics:

On a really clear day you can see downtown Atlanta from here.


Two Wheels Only Motorcycle Resort. A great place to stay and explore the surrounding area'



Woody Lake, Right across the street from TWO.


N. Jawja Dual Sport


Flatland road near TWO
__________________
I ride, Therefore I Am.



klaviator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 10:03 PM   #84
BigT
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2005
Location: SF Bay Area, California.
Oddometer: 860
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator
Everything in this RR was in N. Carolina and Western TN.
Oops, I was wondering as I was posting that, if I should have paid more attention to where exactly it was you were riding.

Still, it's the right part of the country (more or less), and it still sucks out here..

-T
BigT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 11:02 AM   #85
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
klaviator's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Huntsville, AL
Oddometer: 5,779
More North Georgia Pics

I couldn't resist adding a few more Pics of north Georgia from a recent ride.

A perfect spring day in the N. Georgia Mountains


At least we didn't have to worry about getting speeding tickets


A good day to try out my new Fulmer DS Helmet


I love riding in the Smokies
__________________
I ride, Therefore I Am.



klaviator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 03:26 PM   #86
soboy
Beastly Adventurer
 
soboy's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Roswell, GA
Oddometer: 2,286
Nice report. I share the same philosophy about dual sport riding as you, I don't want a plated dirt bike, my DR650 is fine for the kind of riding I do. Love the twisties, both paved and dirt. I've been riding for 37 years, bought my first street legal dual sport in 1975 (we called them enduros back then) and have found nothing more satisfying than a dual sport motorcycle. What I find especially fun is to play dirt bike on some fun trails, then hit pavement and play sport bike in the asphalt twisties. Then more dirt... and more asphalt dancing....I can repeat that sequence all day long and never get tired of it!

Been on many of the roads in your ride report, but not all of them. I love riding in N. GA, but Western NC and Eastern TN are even better!

Would enjoy riding with you sometime. I used to be fast on the street and the dirt, but now I am old, fat and slow. And I have more fun now than ever!
__________________
"Reason takes a holiday as Dr. Horrible spends money he doesn't have, on a motorcycle he doesn't need, in a misguided attempt to recapture his youth which, upon reflection, wasn't all that great in the first place."
"Ride to the bar in your pirate outfit, guzzle some beer, play "Free Bird' on the juke box and then go home. Badass."
soboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 04:11 PM   #87
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
klaviator's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Huntsville, AL
Oddometer: 5,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by soboy
Nice report. I share the same philosophy about dual sport riding as you, I don't want a plated dirt bike, my DR650 is fine for the kind of riding I do. Love the twisties, both paved and dirt. I've been riding for 37 years, bought my first street legal dual sport in 1975 (we called them enduros back then) and have found nothing more satisfying than a dual sport motorcycle. What I find especially fun is to play dirt bike on some fun trails, then hit pavement and play sport bike in the asphalt twisties. Then more dirt... and more asphalt dancing....I can repeat that sequence all day long and never get tired of it!

Been on many of the roads in your ride report, but not all of them. I love riding in N. GA, but Western NC and Eastern TN are even better!

Would enjoy riding with you sometime. I used to be fast on the street and the dirt, but now I am old, fat and slow. And I have more fun now than ever!
I have enjoyed exploring as long as I can remember and have enjoyed going fast around curves almost that long. Before I got my first motorcycle I used to love making the tires of my car howl on a curvy road. Of course, going around curves is more fun on a motorcycle. A dual sport bike is perfect for exploring and having fun in the twisties. I'd enjoy riding with you sometime as well. PM to follow shortly.
__________________
I ride, Therefore I Am.



klaviator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:29 AM   #88
Fireman1000
Beastly Adventurer
 
Fireman1000's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Gray GA
Oddometer: 2,446
Let's bring this one back to life. Shall we?
Fireman1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:59 AM   #89
Hevy Kevy
ADDRider
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: S. Ontario
Oddometer: 188
Snowy Road Riding

Now that you guys have all that experience riding snowy roads, you can come on up and ride in Canada......eh! Seriously, another for the bucket list . Those bikes are perfect for the TransLab or an east coast loop.
Hevy Kevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 06:46 AM   #90
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
klaviator's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Huntsville, AL
Oddometer: 5,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireman1000 View Post
Let's bring this one back to life. Shall we?
I was surprised to see this thread resurrected after almost three years. It was my first ride report and I still remember it well.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Hevy Kevy View Post
Now that you guys have all that experience riding snowy roads, you can come on up and ride in Canada......eh! Seriously, another for the bucket list . Those bikes are perfect for the TransLab or an east coast loop.
Riding in the snow is one thing, the problem with Canada is that you get really cold temperatures to go with it.
__________________
I ride, Therefore I Am.



klaviator is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014