User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2013, 07:05 PM   #1
long distance rider OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Run For The Wall 2013

The 25th annual Run For The Wall, which for the uninformed is a multi-day ride from Los Angeles to Washington DC to the Vietnam Veterans Memorial, started in Los Angeles today. This ride takes place every year and arrives in Washington in time to celebrate Memorial Day. By the time all the various groups show up in Washington from all over the country, they will be part of what is called Rolling Thunder, about 500,000 strong.

I had given serious thought to doing the ride this year, but I had visions of the wild bunch riding clapped out Harleys in formation.....not the type of riding I enjoy. I decided to sit it out......was I ever wrong, a piss poor decision on my part. The group was made up of mostly old fat guys like me, Viet Nam Vets....which means most of the riders were probably in their 60's. About half were on Harley's, a bunch of Gold Wings, BMW's and Metric Cruisers were along as well to chase parts for the Harley riders.

I rode out to the Petro truck stop East of Kingman on I40 at exit 66 this afternoon to watch the "pack" arrive and terrorize the gas station. As it worked out it was unbelievably well organized. The first group to arrive were road guards, just like in the Army, block traffic so that the formation is not interfered with as they go thru intersections. After they got fuel and assumed their positions at the various entrances and exits, a second group arrived, about 40 riders. Again, a well orchastrated fueling began and everything was well controled......then the real fun started. The main group arrived, I would conservatively estimate the main group to be 300 to 400 riders. It was a hell of a crowd. Again, well organized. The second group took a leadership role and directed the hoard to the pumps.

They are stopping in Williams Arizona tonight and on to Angle Fire tomorrow. I strongly recommend that if you get the chance, go out and support these old Vets, it is something to see.

The web page for the Run For The Wall is http://rftw.org/ The itinerary is available for both the central route and the southern route. It would be great if ADV riders commented on the progress as they make their way to Washington.

It's worth a look, and these old fat guys that were treated so badly 40 years ago deserve our support.

Oh by the way, don't make the same mistake I did......take your camera!!

Mike Page
178th Signal Co
Danang, South Viet Nam, 65-66

long distance rider screwed with this post 05-15-2013 at 08:33 PM
long distance rider is offline   Reply With Quote