Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-01-2012, 04:42 PM   #256
Truckin_Thumper
low profile

Oddometer: 28,874
Very wellfucking said!
They did something pretty "less than ideal" and with less the desirable
machine, too much shit and improper gear.
Fuck, that sounds just like a trip I would love to take! Especially getting paid for it! Fuck you and your PC bullshit, I am riding in Africa, bitches!

KTM did not fuck up!
If they would sent that POS 950 on that trip they woulda been sitting for a week every other episode. To add to it, they would have had to have an additional complete tool truck. If you sit here and say that a 950 could take that ride unscathed, you dont ride yours like the KTM Gods intended. If you dont beat on them like they need to be (Balls out all the time) Then you might as well have a GS. They are "race ready" machines.....and yes I do know and believe that. They need a lot of attention at home and while being stupid.

KTM knew this and decided that is not what they have in mind for Marketing.
KTM is the badest bike in offroad, the RC8 is a badass machine, the 950 is top in it class. What you see in KTM videos and shit, IS what you can buy off the showroom floor...not like Honda's "bike that won Baja", showroom XRR.

There ya have my opinion....happy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by configurationspace View Post
Hmm, little man syndrome as exercised through the lens of "real off-road riding" and motorcycle brand political correctness.

Nice.

The OP is talking about harm -- but it's not clear to me if there's anything in particular that could possibly be harmed. Even if such pop movies had used Vespas or KLRs or Ducati Monsters. It's pop entertainment. The bulk of its impact is people sitting around in front of their TVs eating popcorn. People might learn a thing or two about hitchiking in Siberia or something. Cover your eyes!!! You could be scarred for life!! Lock up your daughters!!

Next the OP will start a thread about how much harm Britney Spears is doing to teenagers by wearing Nike sneakers instead of Reeboks in her music videos... because we all know Reeboks are much better at going up and down stairs. No serious walker could use Nikes. I can't wait for that discussion.
Truckin_Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 04:46 PM   #257
Truckin_Thumper
low profile

BTW,

Was me driving a 1963 Unimog across country the absolute most harmful thing to ADV?

Why in the fuck would some dumbass drive a 50yr old Military vehicle, 2300 miles or more, from Bend,Or to Orlando? There has GOT to be more appropriate vehicles than that!
Old 12-01-2012, 05:05 PM   #258
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Oddometer: 7,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by catweasel67 View Post
Personally I think the OP is exactly 180% wrong.

I'd love to see webstats for this site pre LWR and post. I'd put money on the the hits being fairly steady pre LWR and increasing by a significant amount post.

I have no problem admitting that LWR inspired me, it motivated me, it entertained me.

And like so many other posters I find the LWR detractors fairly sad. No one rides alone - I don't care if you're one of the thousands of people who ride but never share their adventures with us, if you're RTWDoug, if you're MondoEnduro or the fully on LWR crew - or me. We all ride with support. And I don't care if you're riding 1 mile or 1000 miles, what matters to me is that you're riding and lovin' it. On road, off road, both - just ride, and if you want, write a report, take a few pictures and share it with us. If you're really lucky take a film crew and do something unforgettable and share it with us.

As for the term "adventure" - to me, it's doing something you've not done before, something that moves you out of your comfort zone, and because it's here - it's something done on a bike. Ride the slab, ride the dirt, ride New Hampshire or Hampshire, ride Honduras, ride...just ride.
Perfectly said!!!
Old 12-02-2012, 07:39 AM   #259
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckin_Thumper View Post
KTM did not fuck up!
If they would sent that POS 950 on that trip they woulda been sitting for a week every other episode. To add to it, they would have had to have an additional complete tool truck. If you sit here and say that a 950 could take that ride unscathed, you dont ride yours like the KTM Gods intended. If you dont beat on them like they need to be (Balls out all the time) Then you might as well have a GS. They are "race ready" machines.....and yes I do know and believe that. They need a lot of attention at home and while being stupid.
Go read about Misery Goat's adventures in S. America on his 950SE.

I don't recall any major issues on that trip.

M
Old 12-02-2012, 08:54 AM   #260
Barry
Just Beastly

Oddometer: 7,226
Quote:
Originally Posted by VFR_firefly View Post

I have to laugh at the guys from KTM who royally SCREWED themselves by not giving these two guys a more capable (yet still too massive) set of bikes and securing themselves a huge marketing coup. That guy in LWR who stiffed the manic/depressive dou their pair of bikes probably lost his company millions of dollars in future sales. his mistake was EPIC, and not only cost his company, but I feel cost us all in steering the activity the wrong way round.
KTM... yup, boat surely missed.

Couple 640 Adventures and they would have been rocking. Hell, we know they have massive sag support, they filmed it. Why not just stickthem on some 525 EXCs and been done?

Do not do business with Myrtle West Cycle... Not a reputable vendor by a long shot.
Barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 02:50 PM   #261
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Oddometer: 7,804
Okay, I've got a legitimate question: do you believe KTM pulled out because they thought their bikes would fail on the trip; or because Charlie & Ewan's plan would fail regardless of which bikes they took?

I've watched LWR a couple times, and I think it had more to do with the plan than KTM's confidence in their bikes. But I certainly don't know the actual reason. Just curious what everyone else thinks.
Old 12-02-2012, 02:57 PM   #262
KG6BWS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Gone View Post
Okay, I've got a legitimate question: do you believe KTM pulled out because they thought their bikes would fail on the trip; or because Charlie & Ewan's plan would fail regardless of which bikes they took?

I've watched LWR a couple times, and I think it had more to do with the plan than KTM's confidence in their bikes. But I certainly don't know the actual reason. Just curious what everyone else thinks.
According to the show, they thought the plan would fail.

I think that was the main reason they backed out. I wouldnt, however, be surprised to find out that they were worried about their bikes making it in one piece.

Justin
01 F650GS Dakar
KG6BWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 02:57 AM   #263
Ceri JC
UK GSer

Oddometer: 2,462
Quote:

I think as a couple of others have said, there's something to be said for the stereotype of KTM as the full on firebreathing option and the maintenance/reliability that comes with that. I think that in general KTMs need a little more TLC and are less tolerant of riding 15K miles without even changing the oil than the BMWs.

I think KTM were also probably realistic in thinking that all bikes and big trips have a few problems, but that they had doubts in the ability/experience of the riders and quality of the planning. Remember, they sent 'their man' to interview them about what they intended to do and it was his opinion that seemed to sway KTM away from it. I think this, more than any lack of faith in the bikes was the main reason for not backing it.

I also think KTM sponsoring them would have been more of a risk than it was for BMW. Specifics of their bikes and likeliness to break down aside, KTM were a smaller concern then (and even now are tiny compared to BMW as a whole) and taking a 'loss' if the trip had been a failure would have been harder to shrug off than it would have been for BMW. I know as it was a massive success, people laugh and say KTM missed out, but hindsight is 20:20 and it would have been a big risk, before the outcome was known.

Full disclosure: I fall into the BMW camp for adventure touring bikes (although I like EXCs for dirt) and ride a GS.
Old 12-03-2012, 06:54 AM   #264
Offcamber
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,727
I doubt they were worried about the bikes. they had no faith in the riders and their plan. The BMWs didn't come out unscathed. There was a few frame issues (granted the bikes were heavily loaded) and I believe the ABS system failed one bike due to the frame being welded. They also got a complete overhaul when they hit Alaska and at least one bike was replaced.

I'd like to have been a fly on the wall in the KTM board room after the show started to air.....but it wouldn't have done much good since I don't speak German
Old 12-03-2012, 08:50 AM   #265
Dekatria
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Oddometer: 939
One cannot deny that it did BMW alot of good... pretty much all you see now are GS's.

That doesn't say it was the right bike - I'm merely commenting on how KTM handled the situation. Although, one could argue that KTM has the Dakar for their promotion...
Dekatria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:23 AM   #266
macrae85
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 389
The best bit of the LWR was watching the shock on the faces of a couple of overpaid Westerners
when the locals saw a bear-currency in those parts! As i say about all those tits who spend all
their time worrying wether Gays should get married or not........go spend some time in the 3rd
World and get your priorities right!
BMW or KTM? Neither,but i'm a short arse.......a Yamaha 800 Tenere please!(GS800,useless
running on 3rd World fuels-seizures!).
Good film/book,it opened up peoples minds to the World,it brought it to the masses.I just want to
get my Southern Americas adventure underway before they do one though!
macrae85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:07 AM   #267
ChadHahn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 258
Quote:

In the show and more so in the book, KTM sent a rider who had done the trip and he couldn't find anything nice to say about Charlie and Ewan's plan. It was the wrong time of year, the wrong road, etc. C&E didn't know how much of it was KTM not wanting to do it and how much of it was the driver actually thinking it couldn't be done.

It seems to me that even if KTM thought it couldn't be done the cost of three bikes and parts would be a cheap price to pay on the chance that it did work. If they had failed the documentary probably wouldn't have seen the light of day and nobody would have known.

I have a GS, but I've wanted one since I saw the first ones running the Paris to Dakar in BMW owners magazines that my dad got back in 1980. It was the first time I had heard of either the Paris to Dakar or the R80G/S and I thought both were the coolest things ever.

Chad
ChadHahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:38 PM   #268
Truckin_Thumper
low profile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadHahn View Post
In the show and more so in the book, KTM sent a rider who had done the trip and he couldn't find anything nice to say about Charlie and Ewan's plan. It was the wrong time of year, the wrong road, etc. C&E didn't know how much of it was KTM not wanting to do it and how much of it was the driver actually thinking it couldn't be done.

It seems to me that even if KTM thought it couldn't be done the cost of three bikes and parts would be a cheap price to pay on the chance that it did work. If they had failed the documentary probably wouldn't have seen the light of day and nobody would have known.

I have a GS, but I've wanted one since I saw the first ones running the Paris to Dakar in BMW owners magazines that my dad got back in 1980. It was the first time I had heard of either the Paris to Dakar or the R80G/S and I thought both were the coolest things ever.

Chad
I was the same way with the XR650r and Baja , but more inline with what Larry Bertleman and Dane Kealoha (sp?) were up to.
Old 12-05-2012, 05:42 AM   #269
buls4evr
No Marks....

Oddometer: 2,318
All other issues aside, there is a world full of people that are saying "I wish that I could do that". Doesn't really matter what kind of bikes they rode or how unprepared they were. So I say the show was a good thing if it makes even 1 other rider want to do a similar trip.
buls4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:26 AM   #270
CanadianX
Oh!? That is deep.

Oddometer: 1,430
Ride what you ride and define adventure by your own set of standards. We can all stand by in judgement and poo poo others thoughts or stories on what is or isn't an adventure and there will always be one uber cool guy who stands up and tells their death defying trip of how they took a bike over Mt Everest rescuing sherpas who couldn't make the climb, then proceeded to cut a new trail into the Amazon while fighting not just zombies but alien zombies all while riding one handed with a flat tire, bad fuel, broken clutch with a stolen harem of women riding pillion AND being mildly distracted by the big deal they were cutting over their sat phone blue tooth connection to make their next million - and you know what? If they tell the story with some pinnache and enthusiasm I'd probably listen, be entertained, just as I'd listen to the guy who is telling a story of a day trip where he and some buds had an absolutely a-fucking-mazing time with some laughs thrown in and mud in the teeth. It's all human interest stories from people doing something we can relate to on some plane.

As far as E&C and their LWR/LWD series, that, IMO was some good stuff. I'd be happy to meet either of them, have a pint and take the opportunity to go for a ride. I understand Charley is a pretty bad ass off roader, both seem pretty charismatic and interesting people who in the totality of their lives to date have done and seen some neat stuff.
CanadianX is offline   Reply With Quote