Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2009, 08:24 AM   #46
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Offblnz
To say that Ewan and Charley did a disservice to motorcycling and adventuring is quite narrowminded, isn't it?!
What? The OP? Narrowminded?

Surely you jest.

Mornin' VFR. I couldn't resist.

Old 10-07-2009, 09:46 AM   #47
VFR_firefly OP
Buh Bye!

Oddometer: 2,494
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ
What? The OP? Narrowminded?

Surely you jest.

Mornin' VFR. I couldn't resist.

;) Narrow-minded ;)

I think I often cause a few narrow-minded people to flip out over what I've said. Everyone's opinions are all equally invalid...

Saying, "You are full of it" is a banning offense -Putts

Too many n00bs/non-riders/pirates here to be worthwhile any more
VFR_firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 10:17 AM   #48
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,349
I kinda liked this fishing trip even though BMW guys do tend to be an easy catch. They aren't quite as easy to bait as Harley guys. But close.
Old 10-07-2009, 10:26 AM   #49
laukkanen
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
It had both good and bad impact on off-road riding depending on what you want out of off-road riding. Simply depends on what you want. Seems like the OP is unhappy people have become interested in what used to be (and still largely is) a niche activity out of the mainstream. It is like when emo kids are into indy bands and they 'sell out' leaving the emo kid all alone ( ) because he can't possibly be interested in something that more than a handful of eccentrics are into.

On the other hand, it has brought an immense amount of money into the off-road market which actually helps develop better gear, etc for everyone. As for flocking to the BMW dealers and then whipping out a touratech or wunderlich catalogue- whatever floats their boat. Not everyone has the coin to drop on those things but they make some good products for what they are designed for.
laukkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 10:54 AM   #50
bsumpter
Yamazuki

Oddometer: 46
It's a TV show fer cryin' out loud. And it is largely about motorcycling and the adventure that accompanies our little hobby. Finally, there's no raked out cherry flamed ape hanging "lifestyle" choppers to be seen.

What's not to like?

EDIT: I actually forgot all about the OCC visit in the last episode. I guess I mentally blocked that part out. Oh well, there were VERY FEW raked out cherry flamed ape hanging "lifestyle" choppers during the episode run.

bsumpter screwed with this post 10-07-2009 at 11:00 AM
bsumpter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 11:14 AM   #51
Reddane
Circling pi

Oddometer: 863
In my opinion it has made more people aware of motorcycling as a normal, fun, inoffensive hobby. There have been lots of shows/movies/popular culture painting motorcyclists as hell-raisers. I don't mind the possibility that the movie helped portray us as everyday folk simply out looking for adventures. Personally, I don't like being treated by folks negatively just because I ride a motorcycle.

As far as the whole super-huge land-yacht motorcycle phenom, I don't think it's a bad thing. If people like it they should go for it. I've often thought about it myself - but I prefer smaller more nimble bikes.

Reddane screwed with this post 10-07-2009 at 03:30 PM
Reddane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 01:29 PM   #52
ColoradoKevin
Colorado Scrambler

Oddometer: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildman
Claudio von Planta is the real hero of that trip, IMHO. Cool guy, fearless rider and excellent cameraman.
Agreed. I think I read in the book that most of Claudio's two-wheel riding experience previous to LWA was on scooters. To do that trip, on those bikes and shoot video is simply amazing.

Hard not to like a couple of guys that are so passionate about motorcycles. Creating awareness for UNICEF is admirable as well.

This coming weekend will be my one month "anniversary" riding. Watching LWA and reading ADV Rider was the inspiration for me to learn to ride and get my license and a bike!
ColoradoKevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 01:33 PM   #53
zrxmoto
don't wanna be a n00b

Oddometer: 125
I don't understand people's disdain for LWR and LWD. I find them immensely enjoyable to watch. I think I've watched each 4 times. I don't care that they're rich, I don't care that they're actors, I don't care they have a support crew. I enjoy the bits with Russ and Dave and the 4x4's - after all there on an expedition as well when you think about it.

Charlie's a pretty decent off-roader - watch his spin-off series "Race to Dakar" that's good stuff too. He tried to race Dakar so give him a break.

I agree with the previous poster - I believe it painted motorcyclists in a very positive light. That A. cool motorcycles don't have to be Choppers. B. Motorcycles are a great hobby and make for great adventures. These are two guys who immensely love motorcycling. You get a good sense of their passion for it. They have families and kids. They wore the gear that we all like to see.

Of course they're going to have support vehicles. They're trying to make a broadcast quality tv series here. You simply can't do that by carrying a couple of cheap no-name flash video cameras from Best Buy. In the book they talk about the decision path they went down to go from "lets ride around the world" to "lets ride around the world and make a broadcast quality tv documentary out of it".

The bulk of the series shows the off-road stuff obviously because that makes for the best TV. Story is typically better when there is drama and struggle. Not much drama in watching them drone down the highway for days on end.

I think about their trip and even with the long stretchs of bad road / no road riding they had to do, the bulk of their trip was still on pavement. So in my opinion they chose a good bike for the job. In the series they only talk about KTM as the other choice (again that was good drama), but in the book they also talked about how they looked at the Tenere, Africa Twin, Varadero (I think) and others. When you look at the nature of their trip: long stretches of highway, some off-road, some bad-road, carry lots of crap - the GS is kind of a natural choice.

Somebody in this thread mentioned the problems they had with the bikes. The rear frames cracked which they admitted could've have been caused by the fact they had the bikes overload. I don't care what vehicle you are talking about but welding a frame without making sure the electronics are protected is a recipie for disaster and they admitted they didn't think about that. The shocks that blew over and over in LWD were Ohlins - go figure! No final drive failures! Woo-hoo!

Reading the books gives a little more insight into the trips. I read both.

Follow these books up by reading Ted Simon's
2010 KLX250S
zrxmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 01:37 PM   #54
Old Nubbins
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 434
Old Nubbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 01:44 PM   #55
T.Low
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 922
[quote=zrxmoto]I don't understand people's disdain for LWR and LWD. I find them immensely enjoyable to watch.

Ha! I know, whats the big frikin deal?

Homey: "Dude, we can watch re runs of Roseanne Bar show or these british actors riding motorcycles from London to New York?"

Dude: "Uh,... is Tom Arnold a guest on Roseanne, tonite?"
T.Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 02:07 PM   #56
Offblnz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,465
Quote:
Originally Posted by VFR_firefly
;) Narrow-minded ;)

I think I often cause a few narrow-minded people to flip out over what I've said. Everyone's opinions are all equally invalid...
Eeeeexactly....and that's why it is so much fun for all when you start threads like this so it's plain for all and clear as soup that nothing you/me/we say means anything in the pig picture.

And, Dakez, I did not say VFR is narrow minded, I said that his opinions were narrow minded
Offblnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 02:28 PM   #57
Wildman
In my castle

Oddometer: 17,869
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Scrambling
Agreed. I think I read in the book that most of Claudio's two-wheel riding experience previous to LWA was on scooters. To do that trip, on those bikes and shoot video is simply amazing.

Hard not to like a couple of guys that are so passionate about motorcycles. Creating awareness for UNICEF is admirable as well.

This coming weekend will be my one month "anniversary" riding. Watching LWA and reading ADV Rider was the inspiration for me to learn to ride and get my license and a bike!
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 02:42 PM   #58
ReactorTrip
glows in the dark

Oddometer: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerMacGreed
Kinda like the guy at M&Ms who thought E.T. would scare kids and told the producers NO. I'm hazarding a guess Reese's was glad of that execs shortsightedness...
Or the moron at Verizon who turned down the iphone because it would take money away from Verizon's crappy inhouse services.
ReactorTrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 02:51 PM   #59
KSJEEPER
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,347
If it served to entertain, and got a few more people on bikes (whether on the perfect bike or not) its a move toward goodness.

The bashing of a couple of guys who rode around the world for fun, and decided to film it for us to enjoy, grows tedious...

Yes they had support, so the DVD was a bit more 'lame'. Had they not had said support would we have a 2 DVD set to watch ? Doubtful.

So to get it straight, we prefer our adventure documentaries to encompass acts that can't adequately be documented.

Oh, and since they made it home, maybe their choice of bike wasn't SO terrible. And I have my doubts as to whether the KTM would have held up as well. Might have handled better in the tight stuff, but they did a ton of road miles we didn't see for which the BMW was better suited.

I feel like if i left ADV and came back in 5 years, there would be a fresh thread second-guessing / doubting LWD / LWR. Leave it alone already, sheesh....
KSJEEPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 02:56 PM   #60
ReactorTrip
glows in the dark

Oddometer: 557
I think it's a decent road bike

http://killboy.blogspot.com/2009/10/convert.html
ReactorTrip is offline   Reply With Quote