User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2009, 04:10 PM   #91
Night Falcon
Adventure NZL

Oddometer: 1,429
The Good, Bad & Ugly

The Good ....the shows (including race to dakar) had motorbikes in them.

The Bad ....whining poms

The Ugly ....whining poms whining while having 3 months off to ride thier free motorbikes while whining about it.

Yes i have watched all three DVD's
Night Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 12:30 AM   #92
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,358
I met the Helge dude this year. Nice guy. He organizes semi-supported trips to almost anywhere. You have the $$$? He will ship your bike, and the bike of a few others, and he will guide you on the silk road from Turkey to China. Or from Alaska to Ushuaia. Or several other routes. One support truck, a couple of small digital cameras, and an opportunity to interact with locals and do some tourism on the side. Of course, someone will bitch about the support truck. Or that it is a guided tour. Or that Helge rides BMWs. Nothing can be perfect, right? Anyway, Helge is a great guy.
Lion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps
My Ewan & Charley.

I blame Helge for doing more damage to the activity of off-road riding than any other book ever released.
Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 12:52 AM   #93
rob feature
Domain Ranger

Oddometer: 4,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by VFR_firefly
I think the Long Way Round series has done more damage to the activity of off-road riding than any other movie/show ever released. If one really watches them with a critical and experienced eye, one can see that the manic duo picked the wrong bike for the job and suffered the consequences of that mistake through just about every sequence in the shows. They again repeated the mistake the second time in LWD as well.

But all the n00bs who watch it flocked to the BMW dealers and paged through the Touratech wish books for ages dreaming of riding these supertankers around the world. Most never get them off a paved road, much less onto real "off" road situations where they do so poorly. But a few do and suffer the consequences of riding an obese street bike in a dirtbike costume on real offroad terrain.

A skilled rider can pilot anything and these bikes do come with slightly longer travel suspensions and a few other minimalist equipment that will help them do the impossible if the rider has what it takes to magically float these beasts over rough terrain -at least better than a standard road bike without any ground clearance or longer suspension travel.

I have to laugh at the guys from KTM who royally SCREWED themselves by not giving these two guys a more capable (yet still too massive) set of bikes and securing themselves a huge marketing coup. That guy in LWR who stiffed the manic/depressive dou their pair of bikes probably lost his company millions of dollars in future sales. his mistake was EPIC, and not only cost his company, but I feel cost us all in steering the activity the wrong way round.

Spilt milk I guess.. /snivel
Looks to me like they got some folks interested in motorcycle travel and probably sold some bikes in the process. And maybe even made the riding climate more friendly in areas.

Moreover, they've convinced folks to buy and farkle bikes that they discover they don't want. Which makes for a robust used bike and stuff market. For these things I applaud them.

I'd expect nothing less of a Jedi

rob feature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 01:05 AM   #94
advNZer?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,686
Quote:
I doubt you will find many people who aren't Gen-X-ers who will say that Britney hasn't harmed western culture. The world is a poorer place for her "contributions."

But it's a free world. -if a poorer one due to that skanky ho warping the youth of today.

And the moto-world is full of posers on super-tanker ADV bikes who can't ride up a simple hill or across a few muddy ruts due to buying the wrong/too-large of a bike to start on, mistakenly believing it to be a "capable" off-road vehicle.

The modern ADV-er is to adventure-riding what a RUB-clown on a hardley fat-blob bike is to street riding. It's a shame, really.
you paint a big picture..."the world" is poorer cause of britneys contributions?Get over your self.Charley,Ewan and even Britney are people doing what they do.Its the warped media/public attention that makes it "contributions".I would have a beer with all of them.But i wouldnt cross the street to just watch them walk out of a building and get into a car.Or buy a magazine cos they are n the cover.But i will watch two guys who obviusly have a passion for motorcycling do some .....motorcycling.
Old 10-13-2009, 05:25 AM   #95
VTRally
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 156
Quote:
And the moto-world is full of posers on super-tanker ADV bikes who can't ride up a simple hill or across a few muddy ruts due to buying the wrong/too-large of a bike to start on, mistakenly believing it to be a "capable" off-road vehicle.

The modern ADV-er is to adventure-riding what a RUB-clown on a hardley fat-blob bike is to street riding. It's a shame, really.
It's a good thing you are a small time loud mouth on an obscure internet forum with no power to legislate or influence a manufacturers direction.
Right now is the best I have seen when it comes to choice of small street legal bikes available. You moaned that the market was flooded with "monsters" and there weren't any "real man" bikes. WTF are you talking about?
Yamaha
WR250
WR450

Suzuki
DRZ400

KTM
450EXC
530EXC
690 Enduro

Kawaskai
KLx250

And that's just a start.

I have had the good fortune to meet, ride and spend some time with some of the motorcycling greats. Fortunately, none of them are anything like you.
VTRally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 07:58 AM   #96
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,420
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTRally
It's a good thing you are a small time loud mouth on an obscure internet forum with no power to legislate or influence a manufacturers direction.
Right now is the best I have seen when it comes to choice of small street legal bikes available.
You are joking right. (?)

VFR has a very hands OFF approach when it come to legislation.

The WR 450 is NOT street legal. (at least not in the U.S.)

There used to be a far better selection of dual purpose bikes than there is now. (Due to that whole legislation thing you speak of)
Old 10-13-2009, 08:06 AM   #97
VFR_firefly OP
Buh Bye!

Oddometer: 2,494
Quote:
Right now is the best I have seen when it comes to choice of small street legal bikes available. You moaned that the market was flooded with "monsters" and there weren't any "real man" bikes. WTF are you talking about?
Yamaha
WR250
WR450

Suzuki
DRZ400

KTM
450EXC
530EXC
690 Enduro

Kawaskai
KLx250

And that's just a start.

I have had the good fortune to meet, ride and spend some time with some of the motorcycling greats. Fortunately, none of them are anything like you.
Is this n00b calling me a small-time loudmouth on an obscure internet forum?

Yes, I believe he is!

I think I'll go cry now!

Saying, "You are full of it" is a banning offense -Putts

Too many n00bs/non-riders/pirates here to be worthwhile any more
VFR_firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 08:14 AM   #98
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Is this n00b calling me a small-time loudmouth on an obscure internet forum?
Yes, I believe he is!
I think I'll go cry now!
The word is out. You better hide. They can see this stuff around the World. YOU'RE DOOOOOOMED

Hey VTRally, FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE NOOB. (and welcome to the asylum)
Old 10-13-2009, 09:10 AM   #99
VTRally
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ
The word is out. You better hide. They can see this stuff around the World. YOU'RE DOOOOOOMED

Hey VTRally, FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE NOOB. (and welcome to the asylum)
DAKEZ, Thanks. I have been a lurker for years.
I do not know VFRsputterfly but have read his pompous spoutings for a while.
I was merely expressing my happiness that he does not hold any reigns of power as it seem only those who are extremely gifted can ride in his world. I also expressed that most of the greats I have met from the sport of motorcycling are gratefully not like him.

I am 35 and in my lifetime have not seen as good a selection of single cylinder plated from the OEM bikes available in the US. XR250L's of yesterday do not hold a candle to the WR's EXC's etc one can buy today.
VTRally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 09:14 AM   #100
VFR_firefly OP
Buh Bye!

Quote:

I am 35 and in my lifetime have not seen as good a selection of single cylinder plated from the OEM bikes available in the US. XR250L's of yesterday do not hold a candle to the WR's EXC's etc one can buy today.
In many states -especially Wisconsin, but others have an issue as well, it's near impossible to plate a dirt bike that doesn't come road legal. Because there is only but a trickle of demand, the OEM's don't bother making road legal versions of these and instead most people do what they can to "convert" and register them as road-legal bikes.

That's my whole point.

But as a "long-time" lurker, I'm sure you didn't miss that...

Old 10-13-2009, 10:21 AM   #101
BCC
I know better

Oddometer: 7,751
Quote:
In many states -especially Wisconsin, but others have an issue as well, it's near impossible to plate a dirt bike that doesn't come road legal. Because there is only but a trickle of demand, the OEM's don't bother making road legal versions of these and instead most people do what they can to "convert" and register them as road-legal bikes.

That's my whole point.

But as a "long-time" lurker, I'm sure you didn't miss that...

Dude, there is a bmw 450x. What more does one need? Oh yeah, a ktm 530 exc-r

Cherish the memories------Ken OBSC
BCC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 10:22 AM   #102
VFR_firefly OP
Buh Bye!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC
Dude, there is a bmw 450x. What more does one need? Oh yeah, a ktm 530 exc-r
Dude, those aren't dirt bikes, they are BIG HEAVY PIGS.

Old 10-13-2009, 10:34 AM   #103
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Dude, those aren't dirt bikes, they are BIG HEAVY PIGS.
At 6'5" 215lbs. they feel like toys.

Especially when compared to my Dakar or DR650. Both great bikes but REAL PIGS on the trails.
Old 10-13-2009, 10:46 AM   #104
T.Low
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 919
Out of ALL the things that make my world worse off, I'm not sure there is room on the list for Charlie and Ewen.
T.Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 10:49 AM   #105
VFR_firefly OP
Buh Bye!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ
At 6'5" 215lbs. they feel like toys.

Especially when compared to my Dakar or DR650. Both great bikes but REAL PIGS on the trails.
Yeah, my XR/L is a super-tanker IMHO. Just a heavy pig once you get it in the tight stuff -not to mention some mudholes.

Give me a bike with a plate on it that I can take and run Senior A in D16 Enduros competitively.