Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2009, 03:48 AM   #1
bmwe30is OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
Can't decide between REI Half-dome 2HC or REI Quarter-dome T2

Help?

Love both of these tents, did the comparison on REI's website and the differences are really marginal in terms of numbers.

The most significant factor is price and some space... I have a 20% member coupon to use up, so that's money in my pocket for either tent.

What do you guys think? I'll be doing some light camping on the weekends to get my feet wet, and maybe some extended trips here in So. Cal., both of these will work great IMO, the only benefit to the T2 is the openness the mesh gives. I kinda like that since I'm a fatass and I like having as much ventilation as possible when I sleep but privacy of the 2HC is also nice if I want to bring my girl along.
bmwe30is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 05:10 AM   #2
allan16
Damn Kids;Git Off My Lawn

Oddometer: 14,809
Well...you've come to the right place to get 3 or 4 thousand "correct" opinions !

I've sold this stuff on and off for many moons, so my $ .02....

The two tents are pretty much identical in design and dimensions. The design is pretty sturdy and easy to set up/take down.
The advantages of the Dome T2 tent (other than mesh) are
Use of ripstop in floor and rainfly
DAC NSL poles
Very light weight

That being said, the almost entire mesh construction will not be as sturdy as the Half Dome 2 HC. It may not appear to be much, but in windy conditions, it could make a difference.

The full mesh design of the T2 will give you maximum ventilation, but consider you will probably have to pack, and use, the rain fly as well. Definetly in rainy conditions, but also windy (keeps the sandy dirt out) and cold conditions (modern rain flies allow the condensation to build up on the inside of the fly, which then, in cold conditions, freezes on the fly...better than your sleeping bag covered in with a thin layer of ice), as well as privacy issues.

Both have the dual side doors which are a great change from older designs which almost required climbing over someone to get out.

Your ventilation issues would be solved with the T2. I think the privacy issue would NOT be solved with the H2. I think you would require the use of the rainfly on either tent to solve that issue. Also, if you and your lady friend are sharing the tent, the heat and condensation would raise significantly.
From the aspect of ventilation, privacy, and the use of more advanced materials, I'd probably go with the T2.

Oh, BTW...they may say "free standing"....but be sure to take tent stakes and line with you. Tents become sails in good winds.

10 years of tax cuts; 10 years of war
and the GOP/Teandrathals want the old, the poor and the sick to pay for it
allan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 08:28 AM   #3
jackanory
I am Jack's wasted life

Oddometer: 444
I bought the HD last month when REI had their big labor day sale. I've only used it twice so far but I can tell you this - I would not want a tent that was any smaller. This tent was just big enough to fit me and my riding gear. This is definitely NOT a 2 person tent unless you're either tiny or want to be very cosy.

I've got a 20 year old North Face Tadpole that is an absolute PIA to set up due to the pole design (they have fixed this flaw with newer models) but is a much higher quality tent and packs up a lot smaller. I also have an EMS 4 person dome that was $100 on sale a few years back and packs up just a little bigger than the REI and has plenty of room for 2 plus gear. It's heavy as hell but I'm not carrying it on my back so I really don't care.

I got the HD on sale and paid about $125 with the footprint and for that price it's a great little tent. If I was paying closer to retail I would look at the offerings from North Face and Sierra Designs too.
jackanory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 11:46 AM   #4
AngryScot

Oddometer: 18,306
I did a review on both if ya like to check it out.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=328336

both I would class as great one person tents (with Gear)

If you plan on bring your lady and she is not an avid camper, you need a 3/4 person.

The ability for your lady to get up and get dressed without having to know complex yoga moves will provide you with future opportunities to go camping with her.

the one thing I really like about the QD is the pack size. I "may" be concerned with longevity with the materials but with REI they satnd behind their gear so that is pretty much taken care of.

I would recommend getting yourself a tent and another for trips with company

crap this makes me rethink it all, I have to sell one of those damn things
AngryScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 11:59 AM   #5
Ron_Ces
Aging Hacker

Oddometer: 1,592
PM me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScot
Let me know, I may be in the mood for something new...
Ron

BMW R1150GS ADV
KTM 300 EXC (plated)
Ron_Ces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 12:01 PM   #6
Xeraux
Archvillain

Oddometer: 30,899
Quote:

If you plan on bring your lady and she is not an avid camper, you need a 3/4 person.

The ability for your lady to get up and get dressed without having to know complex yoga moves will provide you with future opportunities to go camping with her.

the one thing I really like about the QD is the pack size. I "may" be concerned with longevity with the materials but with REI they satnd behind their gear so that is pretty much taken care of.

Hell, I like a 3-person tent even when it's just me.

If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.
Xeraux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 12:10 PM   #7
AngryScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeraux

Hell, I like a 3-person tent even when it's just me.

that is why I got the hex3 from go lite

can never have enough tent options
Old 10-07-2009, 12:11 PM   #8
AngryScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_Ces
Let me know, I may be in the mood for something new...
Ron

Hi my name is ___________ and I am a tent addict

wonderful world of tents!

I am a bit disappointed with the lack of new stuff this year however!

The hex3 did great on my trip to Wa

(you will be first to know if I pick which one needs to go )
Old 10-07-2009, 12:19 PM   #9
bmwe30is OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
Quote:

I think instead of a one-size fits all, I may have to go that route and just pick up 2 tents, one for solo camping and another when the lady comes with. Thanks for the review link! I found it last night and it just spurred my curiosity.

One question I forgot to ask, how tall are you guys? I'm 5'11" and I always hated waking up in the tent with my head against the side of the tent, rubbing off the condensation that formed over night
bmwe30is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 12:53 PM   #10
bomber60015
Anatomically Correct

Oddometer: 7,051
I've got the Half dome, and am 6'2" . . . . I generally set up the bag from corner to corner, to maximize the availabale length, but I don't touch either end unless I really toss and turn . . . . .

Not much condensation with the rain fly deployed (unlless it's just jungle humid (i.e., central Illinois in the summer).
"Here is your country. Cherish these natural wonders, cherish the natural resources, cherish the history and romance as a sacred heritage, for your children and your children's children. Do not let selfish men or greedy interests skin your country of its beauty, its riches or its romance.Ē T.R.
bomber60015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 01:39 PM   #11
AngryScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwe30is
I think instead of a one-size fits all, I may have to go that route and just pick up 2 tents, one for solo camping and another when the lady comes with. Thanks for the review link! I found it last night and it just spurred my curiosity.

One question I forgot to ask, how tall are you guys? I'm 5'11" and I always hated waking up in the tent with my head against the side of the tent, rubbing off the condensation that formed over night
I am about gnome size so a 2 person is kinda like a small apartment for me.
But I know of 6ft + that have the half dome without issue, well apart from climbing into it!
Old 10-08-2009, 04:47 PM   #12
Mr. B
Contrarian

Oddometer: 1,780
I have both, a two person half dome and a three person quarter dome.

I'm 6'0' and 180 lbs. I bought the bigger tent when the wife started riding with me. I decided I like the bigger tent even when I'm traveling alone. I can get all my gear out of the elements. They pack about the same size and weight, so I may as well take the larger one.
Old 10-08-2009, 06:22 PM   #13
65 Flathead
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
Ok, so call me a hick, call me a nay sayer, Defiantly call me a nOOB to the expensive tent world, but Iím curious. I just go to Wal Mart and buy the $30.00 2 man versions. It fits nicely in my saddlebags, I have room for my bike (almost) if I want, and it doesnít leak. So, (and Iím NOT being sarcastic) how is the $200.00 one that much better.

Iím not sure I really wan to know, I may want one now!
65 Flathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 06:54 PM   #14
Oldrice
oldrice.com

Oddometer: 527
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65 Flathead
Ok, so call me a hick, call me a nay sayer, Defiantly call me a nOOB to the expensive tent world, but Iím curious. I just go to Wal Mart and buy the $30.00 2 man versions. It fits nicely in my saddlebags, I have room for my bike (almost) if I want, and it doesnít leak. So, (and Iím NOT being sarcastic) how is the $200.00 one that much better.

Iím not sure I really wan to know, I may want one now!
I have five tents. Four of which were purchased at Wal-Mart. One is my own personal Kelty and I say it like that because only my wife and I have slept in it. I've slept in it alone a bunch of times but I wouldn't trade it for any of the other four at all ever.

It's light weight.
Packs small - MUCH MUCH smaller than any of the other four.
It's free standing.
It sets up real quick and easy.

I really like that it's light. I really need it to be small. I really like that it's free standing. And one thin g I hate about the other tents are that they're so friggin cheap and they can't be set up easily by comparison at all.

My family and I use the bigger *junk tents* for county parks and camping with our friends and I've usually got help to put them up.

My Kelty Gunnison II and I are for any type of weather away from anyone else anytime and packed on the bike like I don't know it's there.

To me, that's a difference worth the extra few bucks.

Oldrice-

AJS Trials, CB250K0, XL250K0
Oldrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 07:27 PM   #15
65 Flathead
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
WAIT.. Say no more!! Itís like the difference between a Wal-Mart Jacket and an Aeostitch. I get it. I guess Iím just happy to be ďhousedĒ anywhere. I have calculated that between the Middle East and Central America, I have spent over 4 years of my life in a tent, and one continuous year completely outside, so anything that keeps my ars warm and dry is cool with me.

I am spending more than my expendable cash on cold weather riding gear ďeven as we speakĒ because the older I get, the colder I get. So please, do NOT expound on why I need to purchase one of these.

Its just much better. Weíll leave it at that

Back to the original question..........
65 Flathead is offline   Reply With Quote