Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2015, 11:29 PM   #1
Edmond Dantès OP
The Kanto Pain

Oddometer: 611
Northern India in March

Hi there,
I will be flying into New Delhi next week and hope to rent a bike for 25 days and have a bit of a ride about.

I have a hotel booked for the first two nights in Karol Bagh which I believe is the right area to be in to track down a motorcycle. I have contacted a couple of shops in that area and I am waiting for info from them.

Here is my tentative route in 25 days:

New Delhi - Amritsar - Rishikesh - Lucknow - Varanasi - Kanpur - Agra - Jaipur - New Delhi

Questions
- Does anyone know reputable motorcycle rentals shops in the Karol Bagh area?
- What is a reasonable daily rental for an Enfield 350?
- How does my schedule look? Is my route doable in 25 days with taking a day or two in each place for sightseeing?
- What weather conditions can I expect in March?
- Am I missing any 'must see' sights with my route?

Any advice/info no matter how small or trivial is most welcome.

Thanks in advance
Edmond Dantès is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 02:12 PM   #2
sarathmenon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 969
It starts getting hot in March. Still, better than April or May which are next to unbearable in northern india. Your schedule looks slightly ambitious, anything more than 300 kms in a day is a hard ride in India. Plus, you might want to take a couple days off for sightseeing. Plus, India drives on the wrong side of the road, which may take some getting used to. You will know within a couple of days how realistic those dates are.

I haven't rented a bike in a long time, I'd expect somewhere around 1000 INR per day these days.

Personally, I couldn't care less about the Taj Mahal or the Golden temple. They are very touristy, and a huge time sink. One place I can recommend in Agra is Fatehpur Sikri - no crowds and an amazing architectural work. Every other place has some fine examples of Indo-Persian architecture. If you are seeing them for the first time, pick any random place of interest - you won't be disappointed by what you see.

Have a safe trip! And post pictures and a ride report.
sarathmenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 07:01 PM   #3
Edmond Dantès OP
The Kanto Pain

Sarathmenon,
Thanks for the info.
It looks as if I have the bike sorted, a 350 RE at 20,000 rs plus taxes for the 25 days.
Thanks for the heads up with regard riding distances. I do have some 400 + km days reckoned on in my schedule which I figured were very ambitious and need revision.
At the airport now waiting to board.
Best wishes,
Paul.
Old 03-10-2015, 08:47 PM   #4
sarathmenon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 969
Nice! One thing with the enfields is that you have to be somewhat mechanically inclined. They are fragile machines. Lovely when they run, but require a lot of TLC. Start early in the day, ride in daylight, and you will have plenty of time for long days. I so wish I could ride back there, there is some beautiful riding to be had.
sarathmenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 11:41 PM   #5
1hp
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Edmond, A few trips around travelling;

The weather is getting hotter by the day. Ensure you remain hydrated. On most routes you have mentioned you will average ~50kmph on your journey. Plan your time accordingly and start early in the day.

Questions
- - What is a reasonable daily rental for an Enfield 350? I've heard it's about Rs 800-1000. Make sure you get the newer Classics and not the older Cast Iron or AVL engines. They will be in all probability overly used and poorly maintained. The odometer might not reflect the true usage.

- How does my schedule look? Is my route doable in 25 days with taking a day or two in each place for sightseeing? Schedule is demanding but certainly looks doable depending on how tolerant you remain to the weather!

- What weather conditions can I expect in March? Hot primarily thought we have been surprised by some rain.
1hp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 06:45 AM   #6
Edmond Dantès OP
The Kanto Pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1hp View Post
Edmond, A few trips around travelling;

The weather is getting hotter by the day. Ensure you remain hydrated. On most routes you have mentioned you will average ~50kmph on your journey. Plan your time accordingly and start early in the day.

Questions
- - What is a reasonable daily rental for an Enfield 350? I've heard it's about Rs 800-1000. Make sure you get the newer Classics and not the older Cast Iron or AVL engines. They will be in all probability overly used and poorly maintained. The odometer might not reflect the true usage.

- How does my schedule look? Is my route doable in 25 days with taking a day or two in each place for sightseeing? Schedule is demanding but certainly looks doable depending on how tolerant you remain to the weather!

- What weather conditions can I expect in March? Hot primarily thought we have been surprised by some rain.
1hp,
Thank you for the info.
I am sitting in Lalli Singh's shop in Karol Bagh now. The Enfield 350 is ready for an early start to Jaipur in the morning.
I picked up a Eicher Road Atlas at the Jain Book Depot today in Connaught Place.
The bike shops here in Karol Bagh are amazing!

I decided to see Jaipur at the start of the trip because it is getting hotter by the day, and end at Amristar.

Thanks for the hydration tip. I will stock up on water before the early start tomorrow.

I have done my fair share of Asian travel, but I must say Delhi is an assault on your senses.

Best wishes to you.

Paul.
Old 03-12-2015, 08:21 AM   #7
1hp
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Have a great time, Paul! Ride safe. I will look forward to a ride report.

PM me if you need any help.

Cheers,
1hp
1hp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 02:39 AM   #8
Edmond Dantès OP
The Kanto Pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1hp View Post
Have a great time, Paul! Ride safe. I will look forward to a ride report.

PM me if you need any help.

Cheers,
1hp
Thank you 1hp.

I am in Varanasi now.
It's been some interesting riding thus far for sure.